Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: "Redskins Confirm Leftwich Visit"

FrFan

Just speculating...maybe the FO signs Leftwich to battle with Collins for the #2 position and trade Brennan for some undisclosed draft pick this year (hopefully higher than a 6th round pick). If things don't pan out this season, they draft a qb next year and open up the qb position to competition.

With the defense expected to be great this year with the addition of Haynesworth and the signing of Hall, the FO seem to be pulling out all the stops to get better offensively. They seem to have a win now mentality and are pushing hard to get the personnel to get us into the playoffs this season.

Well, we know that Denver probably didn't want Campbell, and that one team (Browns?) did not think he was worth a 2nd. We also apparently don't want to move Brennan, or other teams don't want him either, or both

I've read that McDaniels wanted/preferred Colt because he wants a qb that he can "mold".

Just speculating...maybe the FO signs Leftwich to battle with Collins for the #2 position and trade Brennan for some undisclosed draft pick this year (hopefully higher than a 6th round pick). If things don't pan out this season, they draft a qb next year and open up the qb position to competition.

With the defense expected to be great this year with the addition of Haynesworth and the signing of Hall, the FO seem to be pulling out all the stops to get better offensively. They seem to have a win now mentality and are pushing hard to get the personnel to get us into the playoffs this season.

The problem I have with this theory, is that 32 teams passed on him 5 times last April. What has changed since then to improve his worth?

IMO, Brennan has to be Zorn's guy, as the only QB on the roster that he could have had a hand in selecting. The other 2 were inherited. I think Collins is the odd man out. Might be Campbell-Leftwich-Brennan going into camp.

OR.... and this is maybe 5% probable... Zorn is pushing for Colt for the sooner-than-later-future, prefers Leftwich over Collins and they've been trying to deal JC for as much as they can get anyways. IF they can unload JC for a player/pick combo (JC + Skins pick for a player + a pick from that team), then Leftwich is the QB for now, Brennan is #2 and depending on how things go, might get some starts this year. They could hedge their bets by drafting another QB but again, I think that is unlikely. Zorn knows he's on the hot seat and better produce, be it with Campbell, Leftwich or Colt.

Watching those Leftwich hightlights tells me exactly what we already know. Leftwich, like Campbell, is well suited for an offense that develops a number of downfield plays and works well on timing throws in the intermediate range. Against us that one dump off was to a back who was the only guy within 20 yards of the QB. If we'd develop downfield routes or combination routes better he'd be fine. As, likely, would Campbell.

Leftwich is a lot like Campbell in that he never really emerged as a legitimate top starter in his time, while Campbell still has time for that. He's probably a backup at this point in his career waiting on a situation like Kerry Collins where he can become a starter again in a perfect situation.

Overall, Campbell has actually been a bit better as a starter than Leftwich. It's unlikely Leftwich is the sort of QB who would be a tremendous threat to Campbell as he's somewhat similar, but is a year behind in the learning curve.

The problem I have with this theory, is that 32 teams passed on him 5 times last April. What has changed since then to improve his worth?

IMO, Brennan has to be Zorn's guy, as the only QB on the roster that he could have had a hand in selecting. The other 2 were inherited. I think Collins is the odd man out. Might be Campbell-Leftwich-Brennan going into camp.

OR.... and this is maybe 5% probable... Zorn is pushing for Colt for the sooner-than-later-future, prefers Leftwich over Collins and they've been trying to deal JC for as much as they can get anyways. IF they can unload JC for a player/pick combo (JC + Skins pick for a player + a pick from that team), then Leftwich is the QB for now, Brennan is #2 and depending on how things go, might get some starts this year. They could hedge their bets by drafting another QB but again, I think that is unlikely. Zorn knows he's on the hot seat and better produce, be it with Campbell, Leftwich or Colt.

I think Brennan's performance during last year's preseason and Zorn's own comments that he is pleased with the progress he's been making may entice some team to trade for Brennan ala Matt Schaub. We would then have 6? picks in this years draft.

IMO, the FO will stick with JC as the qb this year and give him the opportunity to prove himself. If JC does well and the Skins make the playoffs, we will have proven back-ups in Leftwich and Collins and JC gets a nice contract.

If JC doesn't take us to the playoffs this year, there will be an open QB competition next year with the Skins drafting a qb.

Just something else I found:

The timing of his workout was odd, considering how long Leftwich has been available, and given that owner Daniel Snyder, executive vice president Vinny Cerrato and Coach Jim Zorn spent the day trying to smooth over relations with Campbell after the team solicited trade interest in him last week while trying to acquire Jay Cutler from Denver. But team officials said Saturday that the visit had been scheduled well in advance.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_nflrdup_0405apr05,0,4390940.story

Leftwich isn't quite as mobile as Campbell but it seems to me that he sees the field better. He seems to be particularly effective on 3rd down so that could bode well as Campbell's backup. Not sure if he's any better than TC15, who now has a year in Zorn's system, but I guess the coaches have to weigh the costs.

Leftwich is not a WCO QB. He'd fit the old Raiders style better, where you run a bunch then chuck it deep or throw a 15 yard out. I like Leftwich's toughness and big arm, but he can't do anything fast/quick, which last I checked is a requirement in the WCO.

I've always liked Byron, since his days at Marshall. What kind of offense does Pittsburgh run? I thought their passing game (bunch formation aside) was basically a West Coast attack?

I've always liked Byron, since his days at Marshall. What kind of offense does Pittsburgh run? I thought their passing game (bunch formation aside) was basically a West Coast attack?
I do not believe that Bruce Arians is a Walsh disciple per se, so calling their offense a WCO is technically incorrect. I think that Parker being injured for much of the year affected their playcalling a bit.

Tomlin came from Minny, but he specializes in defense.

Byron in the WCO is the biggest joke I have ever heard. He has the slowest wind up delivery in the world.

Yes, but think how much better JC will look with the likes of BL on the team and Collins gone, now JC would only be the 2nd worse QB on the team, which is a big step up, the JC lovers have to be ecstatic about this potential move.

All BL will need is 2 years in this offense, some O-lineman, WR's, and a defense that can score, and we will be set for a backup for the next 5 years.:groupwave:

well the cat is out of the bag the Redskins our looking for another QB. After everything they said to JC. Man this must hurt. I know its the NFL. But why say one thing to JC,while your shopping him everywhere. I have big doubts about JC. But there is no way he should be treated like this!!!!

Campbell is starting, not only that but also making the roster.

If Leftwich signs, then its COLLINS who is getting bumped from the roster.

This is not an insult to Jason Campbell, if anything it tells Todd Collins that the Skins do not believe he is worthy of even a backup.

However, with that said, I also believe that this is an attempt by Danny and Vinnie to put as much pressure on Campbell as possible because Leftwich is a better QB than Collins so Campbell must always be watching his back.

This will be interesting to see how Campbell responds.

If Leftwich signs, then its COLLINS who is getting bumped from the roster.

This is not an insult to Jason Campbell, if anything it tells Todd Collins that the Skins do not believe he is worthy of even a backup.

Actually, if Leftwich signs (doubtful, IMO), no one is probably going to get bumped from the roster. It would set up a competition between him and Collins as to who makes the roster. There is no reason to release Collins since there is no cap savings in doing so and no guarantee that Leftwich is even a good fit for what we do.

The only issue there is with Collins is his age, which is probably the main driver here.

However, with that said, I also believe that this is an attempt by Danny and Vinnie to put as much pressure on Campbell as possible because Leftwich is a better QB than Collins so Campbell must always be watching his back.

This will be interesting to see how Campbell responds.

Certainly a possibility, but I don't know how much real pressure that Leftwich can put on Campbell, particularly since it seems the team has said that Campbell's job isn't up for grabs next season.

Archived