Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: "Redskins Confirm Leftwich Visit"

FrFan

Actually, if Leftwich signs (doubtful, IMO), no one is probably going to get bumped from the roster. It would set up a competition between him and Collins as to who makes the roster.

Certainly a possibility, but I don't know how much real pressure that Leftwich can put on Campbell, particularly since it seems the team has said that Campbell's job isn't up for grabs next season.

Thats why this won't happen,

1. Leftwich already said that if he is a backup he will go back to the Steelers. I mean do you blame him? the Redskins or the Superbowl champs as a backup.

2. He has already said on the radio he thinks he's a starting QB not a backup

So according to your post about the starting position (Campbell) he will not be interested.

I myself would think it would be stupid to sign for the minimum with the Redskins instead of the SB champs, Nah I don't want the extra playoff cash or another ring??

Rather have Garcia than Leftwich

No way....Leftwich is younger, local, and has more big play potential now than Garcia......Just a few years ago, Byron was considered a franchise QB.....His mobility and long windup have lead to injuries for the man but he is a gunslinger.....If Zorn can just make a little progress with him movement inside the pocket and delivery it can mean wonders for his game.....

This **** gets more and more bizarre IMO. It just seems that Snyderatto are desperately seeking Jason's replacement. Some how, some way.

I agree with the Bizarre part. Its all been bizarre. However, this would not be Jasons replacement. NOW they are looking for Todd Collins replacement.

Dan Snyder is a nut.

Thats why this won't happen,

1. Leftwich already said that if he is a backup he will go back to the Steelers. I mean do you blame him? the Redskins or the Superbowl champs as a backup.

2. He has already said on the radio he thinks he's a starting QB not a backup

So according to your post about the starting position (Campbell) he will not be interested.

I myself would think it would be stupid to sign for the minimum with the Redskins instead of the SB champs, Nah I don't want the extra playoff cash or another ring??

1. Leftwich will not get a startign job anywhere going into camp....In Pittsburgh he's playing behind Big Ben and had ZERO chance of becoming a starter minus injury. In Washington he won't immediately be the starter, but the starter has on year left on his contract and is not yet a proven commodity. If Campbell starts off slowly the job will open up.....

Also a guy who thinks he's a starting QB shouldn't be satisfied long-term being a backup on a SB team..... He was a good team guy last year but he should have aspirations of getting his own team the the SB. In addition while he might get extra playoff cash now, the $ upsdie here is much better is Campbell falters and he shows something in relief....

The only reason Snyder wants Leftwich on the roster is because he's a local guy and can sell even more tickets and merchandise

:doh:

Why do people have to twist every damn thing to target someone? Yeah, we are going to sign a backup because he'll make people say "Let's go to this game, Leftwich is sitting on the bench" and "I want a Redskins hat because Leftwich, while sitting on the bench, will be wearing one".

Damn....

I would be surprised if BL signed with the Redskins. He wants to be a starter and probably could be on some teams.

What I don't understand is BL said he won't go to team unless he has a chance to start. Then the FO says there looking for a good back up. Now who is telling the truth?

I would be surprised if BL signed with the Redskins. He wants to be a starter and probably could be on some teams.
I wouldn't be surprised at all. It's not like teams are lining up offering Leftwich a contract.

I remember reading somewhere a while ago that Leftwich is very ****y, selfish, and overall just not a team sort of guy. He must have a reputation that precedes him.

Having said that, I would still prefer having Leftwich's arm strength, size and experience over Collins.:2cents:

Where are we at as regards Leftwich?

Still thrashing out the contract terms?

Anybody?

Hail.

KFFL.com

Redskins | Leftwich told he would not compete for starting job

Sat, 04 Apr 2009 12:08:49 -0700

Updating a previous report, Jason LaCanfora, of The Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins told unrestricted free-agent QB Byron Leftwich (Steelers) he would not compete for the starting job if he signed with the team, according to a league source. No offer was made to Leftwich, according to a source.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. It's not like teams are lining up offering Leftwich a contract.

I remember reading somewhere a while ago that Leftwich is very ****y, selfish, and overall just not a team sort of guy. He must have a reputation that precedes him.

Having said that, I would still prefer having Leftwich's arm strength, size and experience over Collins.:2cents:

I'm surprised the Steelers are not offering Leftwich a contract. Big Ben definitely needs a solid backup behind him. I agree that Leftwich would definitely be an upgrade over Collins, who I think is not suited for Zorn's version of the WCO.

KFFL.com

Redskins | Leftwich told he would not compete for starting job

Sat, 04 Apr 2009 12:08:49 -0700

Updating a previous report, Jason LaCanfora, of The Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins told unrestricted free-agent QB Byron Leftwich (Steelers) he would not compete for the starting job if he signed with the team, according to a league source. No offer was made to Leftwich, according to a source.

Ty Of.

The last I heard last night was that we had offered him a deal, and I put very little stock in anything JLC say's, so we shall see.

But cheers for the update.

Hail.

I find it hard to believe that Leftwich can't find someplace where he can compete for a starting job. He should last year that when healthy and given weapons, he could still be very dangerous.

He is still quite young, and there are some dreadful QBs in this league.

Unless...maybe he has found someplace where he can compete for the job. Nod nod. Wink wink. Say no more.

I would be very happy if Skins sign BL.

Yes, he has been told he will be the back-up QB, BUT JC is in his last year of his contract. This will give the Skins some leverage in negotiations, AND if JC leaves for greener pastures, we have someone who can start and play well. BL might have been told that he will start in 2010 if JC leaves.

He is younger and better than Collins; and it would be an upgrade to the overall depth of our team.

BL won the Steelers game last year. Good move, if we can sign him.

HTTR

Actually, if Leftwich signs (doubtful, IMO), no one is probably going to get bumped from the roster. It would set up a competition between him and Collins as to who makes the roster. There is no reason to release Collins since there is no cap savings in doing so and no guarantee that Leftwich is even a good fit for what we do.

Leftwich is not going to leave a solid job as a backup on a SuperBowl winner to compete with Todd Freakin' Collins.

If he comes here, we have made a promise of some kind.

Considerable past experience, younger and cheaper, I say go for it. I don't get why nobody is looking at him as a potential starter. I mean the Vikings or the 49ers would be candidates in my eyes because Leftwich is better than any starter that they currently have. But as far as the Redskins go, he has my vote.

Leftwich is not going to leave a solid job as a backup on a SuperBowl winner to compete with Todd Freakin' Collins.

If he comes here' date=' we have made a promise of some kind.[/quote']Maybe Leftwich thinks that at some point and time he will start for us. He may think that he has a better chance at starting here than in Pittsburgh.:whoknows:

It's possible that the F.O. has decided to draft Freeman / Sanchez to replace Campbell. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the F.O. has already worked out a trade to deal Campbell elsewhere. They don’t want a disgruntled J.C. in the locker room, so they ship him to another franchise as part of a trade on draft day. They don’t want their new QB thrown to the wolves so they are looking at other potential QBs to start the first 6 games while they bring along Freeman / Sanchez. It would have been J.C. in 2009, but they realize that he will not work out as a transitional QB. Too much distraction for J.C., knowing he is out the door in 2010. Leftwich realizes what 6 games or more as a starter could do for his career. He'd love to have an opportunity to promote his ability. The drafting of a QB would also buy Zorn and Vinny an extra season to produce a winning franchise, and sell more Redskins shirts.

Archived