Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FrFan

WP: "Redskins Confirm Leftwich Visit"

Keim's track record isn't exactly sterling since he was the one saying the trade would happen.

He did a much better job than any other reporter that covered the trade situation.

I don't know if Leftwich could help us or not. But if I am Collins, boy now I am pissed. I take the team two years ago to the playoffs and suddenly I am not viewed by the front office as being able to hold down the number 2 spot? I do not buy the money argument cited in the Washington Post as the major reason for getting rid of Collins.

Honestly, I've reached the state of where I don't really care any more about the offseason. Bring on the season so we can win some games.

All this fantasy football stuff is exhausting.

I do not buy the money argument cited in the Washington Post as the major reason for getting rid of Collins.

Yeah, no kidding. Since when is Snyder concerned with saving what equates to him as the petty cash fund?

He did a much better job than any other reporter that covered the trade situation.

Only because everyone was using his source as the source of all the news on this story.

I agree it's exhausting following this stuff..I don't know what's going to happen, who the starting qb will be, etc. I just want the draft to get here and be over with. and the reg season.

I don't know if Leftwich could help us or not. But if I am Collins, boy now I am pissed. I take the team two years ago to the playoffs and suddenly I am not viewed by the front office as being able to hold down the number 2 spot? I do not buy the money argument cited in the Washington Post as the major reason for getting rid of Collins.

I am really sick of people talking about player's feelings.

Every player who is ever going to be replaced is not happy about it.

Who cares, you get better when and where you can.

I am really sick of people talking about player's feelings.

Every player who is ever going to be replaced is not happy about it.

Who cares, you get better when and where you can.

Honestly, these guys make a **** ton of money, and if they get traded or cut, I'm sure their lives will go on somewhere else. I don't really think that we should waste our time feeling sorry for them.

In the Steelers game, Leftwich took over for Big Ben who was getting hammered in that game.

Leftwich came in, delivered the ball quickly and his release looks somewhat more compact than in Jax. I think he's a better player than he was, at least in terms of pure skill and its translation to a different system.

he's lost some weight, got healthy in his feet and legs and he even ran for an impressive TD last season. I think he could be a good stopgap QB. I also don't totally buy the "you're not competing for starter" thing. maybe not FIRST DAY starter but we all remember Ramsey, though.

Also pay attention to the article:

IF campbell gets injured OR IS INEFFECTIVE. Well, since that's almost a guarantee, that means Leftwich is very surreptitiously up for the starting job.

Hell, other teams that aren't sure about who they have that spot would bench someone who is ineffective.

So, really, it's semantics. If he plays well enough, the team is no longer wedded to Campbell and Leftwich (or Brennan) could see game time in 09. One can only hope.

What you're saying makes sense, but according to this, we can't get more than a 5th rounder for JC.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/Campbell-No-hard-feelings-after-trade-rumors-42457352.html

Well, we know that Denver probably didn't want Campbell, and that one team (Browns?) did not think he was worth a 2nd. We also apparently don't want to move Brennan, or other teams don't want him either, or both.

Each team's value of Campbell will vary based on their individual circumstances.

Looks like most teams want to take a 'wait and see' approach in regards to JC17 this year. But is Washington one of those teams?

They may not have a choice. This may be, for all intents and purposes, both a 'lame duck' and a 'put up or shut up' season for JC and Jim Zorn. I'd rather they not draft a QB in the 1st if they keep JC, because if we do not win the East or advance into the playoffs this year, both Campbell and Zorn are OUT. At that point, let the incumbent head coach pick his own QB in April 2010 to develop for his own system.

Well, we know that Denver probably didn't want Campbell, and that one team (Browns?) did not think he was worth a 2nd. We also apparently don't want to move Brennan, or other teams don't want him either, or both.

Each team's value of Campbell will vary based on their individual circumstances.

Looks like most teams want to take a 'wait and see' approach in regards to JC17 this year. But is Washington one of those teams?

They may not have a choice. This may be, for all intents and purposes, both a 'lame duck' and a 'put up or shut up' season for JC and Jim Zorn. I'd rather they not draft a QB in the 1st if they keep JC, because if we do not win the East or advance into the playoffs this year, both Campbell and Zorn are OUT. At that point, let the incumbent head coach pick his own QB in April 2010 to develop for his own system.

Well, I agree with your post, especially about not drafting a QB this year. It only makes sense to let the new HC pick his own QB (if Zorn is no longer here).

And I don't think think that our FO is trying to take the wait and see approach w/ JC. If they were, the Cutler and now Leftwich talks would have never happened. My only concern is that we don't have Cutler (or another QB) right now b/c we couldn't get anything for JC. If he fails this season, then he will be worth even less next season.

OTOH, I don't see why we would spend any money on another QB when we could easily have an in house competition. If JC wins, great. If not, let whoever wins be the QB this season, (JC and either TC or CB will be the backup) and when the (assuming) new HC comes along he can choose his new QB in the draft.

I dunno. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how all this plays out.

If people knock JC for a windup and slow delivery, they are going to get a whole new meaning of "Slow" with BL. He's got a larger windup than most MLB pitchers. And the knock on him is that he's slow to read defenses.

btw, it does say something about what the organization thinks of Colt if they are bringing in guys to talk about the backup QB job.

This is interesting only from that standpoint.

My only concern is that we don't have Cutler (or another QB) right now b/c we couldn't get anything for JC. If he fails this season, then he will be worth even less next season.

Doesn't matter because he'll be a free agent.

And one of the big reasons that no team is going to trade for JC is that he's in the last year of his contract. Which diminishes the trade value of any (and every)player.

The reason is simple: The player isn't really getting a choice where he's going, and the team receiving him HAS to do a new deal. If the player rejects the offer and chooses to hit free agency, then the draft picks/players the team gave up to get him are completely wasted.

If people knock JC for a windup and slow delivery, they are going to get a whole new meaning of "Slow" with BL. He's got a larger windup than most MLB pitchers. And the knock on him is that he's slow to read defenses.

btw, it does say something about what the organization thinks of Colt if they are bringing in guys to talk about the backup QB job.

But after reviewing actual footage of Leftwich last year, it seems he's compacted his release a bit or at least is making faster decisions. He's lost some weight and his lower base seems healthier. I don't know that he's as bad an option as you say. When they killed us last year, it was after Ben was getting rocked. Then Lefty comes in and does quick drops and gets rid of the ball to the right people.

BTW, only on Planet Campbell would bringing in a guy with similar skills and drawbacks be a threat to the #3/possible QB of the future who is nothing like either of them.

It says, to me, that the team is not satisfied with just hoping Campbell pays off OR that BRennan is the guaranteed savior. Leftwich gives you a real vet stopgap in a way that Collins is not. It changes the dynamic too, so it provides more competition, even if it's mainly psychological for JC.

NFL Network just reported that Leftwich's camp is saying they are discussing a contract with the Redskins.

Oh, and for all the Jay Cutler freaks on this board (I know there's a ton of you, it's been proven, you can't hide), he's on right now. They're replaying the game against the Chargers in week 2 that Ed Hochuli totally botched.

NFL Network just reported that Leftwich's camp is saying they are discussing a contract with the Redskins.

Did they say anything else? I don't have NFLN.

Discussing the contract huh?

Not that I see Leftwich adding much, but the one thing that has come out of the Cutler chase, and now this, is the fact that, at least on the face of it, management has finally lost patience and are looking at all ways to improve the most important position on the team. Be it from a new starter in Cutler, to as simple a thing as serious competition and pressure from this move.

Not often I can say this, but for that alone, I sincerely thank Snyder.

Hail.

Discussing the contract huh?

Not that I see Leftwich adding much, but the one thing that has come out of the Cutler chase, and now this, is the fact that, at least on the face of it, management has finally lost patience and are looking at all ways to improve the most important position on the team. Be it from a new starter in Cutler, to as simple a thing as serious competition and pressure from this move.

Not often I can say this, but for that alone, I sincerely thank Snyder.

Hail.

Absolutely. This is a good sign of things to come IMO.

You (remember, you’re still imaging you’re Campbell) enter 2009 feeling pretty good about the season ahead. It’ll be your second season in the West Coast Offense and while pundits suggest it takes at least three years to master the system, you’re looking forward to building off the success you had in 2008.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, your overzealous owner Daniel Snyder attempts to trade you in efforts to acquire disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler from Denver. He of course fails, then meets with you to clear the air and reinforce that you’re still a part of the Redskins’ future. But a day later, the weasel turns around and starts talking to free agent Byron Leftwich, who would no doubt compete with you for the starting quarterback job next season if he were signed.

For entire article:

http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/04/04/redskins-are-sending-campbell-mixed-signals/

Byron Leftwich's highlight reel baby! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usskE9s5neU

What attributes do Campbell supporters like in Campbell? His size? Leftwich is bigger. His arm strength? Leftwich's is MUCH stronger. His mobility? Sure, but his escapability doesn't make up for the sacks we take due to him making poor observations and not making quick enough decisions.

Leftwich doesn't have the ideal release either, but I think his pass is more fluid then Campbell's.

Atleast we'll have a feasible 2nd option if we're sick of Campbell's 1 TD per game performance, just as we were with Brunell's 1 TD per game performance in 06, which happened to be the year he was benched.

If Leftwich can come in and make a run for the starting job, I'd say go ahead.

It's not that crazy. Remember when Leftwich ripped our D a new one last season at FedEx? These 160 yard, 1TD passing days from Campbell are putting me to sleep.