Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FrFan

WP: "Redskins Confirm Leftwich Visit"

Redskins Confirm Leftwich Visit

The Redskins operate in a hybrid West Coast offense; Leftwich struggled when Jacksonville implemented that system under Bill Musgrave, a former Washington assistant, and he is a less mobile dropback passer at 6-5, 250, who has shined more in a vertical passing game

I don't know how this is going to work? but the bolded part makes sense.

Question what about Jeff Garcia ? Is he available?

If this isn't a signal to JC that he's running out of time. I don't know what will get his attention.? The F.O is trying to get the OFFENSE together with all that money they spent making the defense better. I know EVERYBODY better be getting their asses in gear or they too might find themselves out of a job.

However, if he did sign here for the veteran minimum, it would allow Snyder to save over a million dollars this season, with Collins due a $1.9 salary and a $100,000 workout bonus as well. He is due to make $3 million in 2010 and received a $3 million signing bonus in 2007. Releasing Collins would result in a nominal cap hit, but would save actual dollars.

Collins also has limited experience in a West Coast offense. He made four starts late in 2007, helping the Redskins reach the playoffs under then offensive coordinator Al Saunders, his longtime mentor. Collins did not take a snap in 2008.

I think Todd deserves another chance to see if he's progressed in learning the WCO but this is a business.I shall always remember what you did not only for the team but the fans after Sean's passing.

The Redskins are hopeful that No. 3 quarterback Colt Brennan, a 2008 draft pick, will develop into an effective player over time and are pleased with his progress, according to a league source, but the preference is to have a more veteran presence as the primary back-up at this time.

Keep on doing your thing Colt ,you will be getting your chance to shine :D.

I just don't think this move makes alot of sense for us. What does Leftwich have to offer over Campbell? I don't see much of a difference between the two. If Leftwich is brought in as a backup, then it would hurt Colt's progression because he would still be working with the 2nd and 3rd teams instead of the 1st. So I'm not really sure what we gain by bringing in Lefty

Byron in the WCO is the biggest joke I have ever heard. He has the slowest wind up delivery in the world.

He looked sharp with the Steelers and I think they do run some WC type variant. They have not been shy passing the ball.

No on Leftwich, behind our line, he's get sacked 5 times a game.

I'd like to go into the season with Collins and an open competition at QB. He's probably the best QB we have on the roster.

I seriously doubt that. TC ceased being a useful backup QB when Saunders left IMO.

"The Redskins informed Leftwich that he would not be competing with Jason Campbell during their meeting with him, according to NFL sources, and made it clear that if signed, he would be there to play only if Campbell was injured or was ineffective during a start."

Yeah, the customary disclaimer while the incumbent is still on the team. I'm starting to feel very bad for Campbell cuz he's got to be thinking Snyder is preparing to dump him.

Let the debate begin. Who is better Campbell, Colins, or Leftwich. The thing that stinks about this is it reminds me of the Jeff George situation of 2000. Brad Johnson came off a stellar year leading the skins to a snap from the Championship game, and in comes George who like Leftwich wants to be a starter.....

I think we all know how that story turned out.

They are bringing in Leftwich to serve as a backup. It doesnt make much sense to say "After 36 starts we don't have enough faith in JC to improve, so we are bringing in a 46 game starter who hasn't shown the improvement."

Bringing in Leftwich on a one-year backup deal would be a great move. As much faith as I have in JC, it is his last year under contract. If he isn't the answer than this gives Leftwich a year to learn the system and see what he has in practice for a possible future here. Zorn can work with him on his mechanics and see if he has anything to offer long term. He is not a downgrade over Collins, so why not?

This makes zero sense. In case our QB with a slow release and average talent doesnt work out, we'll bring in the guy with an even slower release and average talent to succeed him.

Genious!

lordy, if JC does not work out, the skins could be entering an interminable QB hell that can sink organizations for decades (barring a once in a decade defense)...

so I guess we're thinking of releasing Collins? Cause he's better than a third stringer,

Bringing in Leftwich on a one-year backup deal would be a great move. As much faith as I have in JC, it is his last year under contract. If he isn't the answer than this gives Leftwich a year to learn the system and see what he has in practice for a possible future here. Zorn can work with him on his mechanics and see if he has anything to offer long term. He is not a downgrade over Collins, so why not?

If what the FO says can be taken at face value, then sure, Leftwich at #2 can't hurt, but like what others have asked, why not Garcia instead?

Nobody can say with a straight face that Leftwich would be a better fit than Garcia.

lol they all a day late ..huh rwj

What, you're not used to that by now? :silly:

AM I THE ONLY FREAKIN person that thinks this is stupid!

Common Byron Leftwich?! In a west coast offense! I am having a major disconnect with the people here in Extreme Skins!

I would rather have Colt as our #2! BYRON LEFTWICH has the longest throw and ugliest throw I have ever seen!

Man he lit us up when he was here and we are enamored with him.

Has anyone here heard of FOOLS GOLD?

Say NO to Byron Leftwich!

I would rather get Sanchez at 13!

I really want Colt to be able to step up. As much as I would like for this to happen, I don't want it to stop Colt from progressing.

this would be VERY interesting. it would open up a position battle and we will be able to see exactly how good Colt is right now

Hmm, I was hopeful that Brennan could take over the backup job this year, but I doubt we'd keep Collins around as a 3rd stringer.

well the cat is out of the bag the Redskins our looking for another QB. After everything they said to JC. Man this must hurt. I know its the NFL. But why say one thing to JC,while your shopping him everywhere. I have big doubts about JC. But there is no way he should be treated like this!!!!

I really want Colt to be able to step up. As much as I would like for this to happen, I don't want it to stop Colt from progressing.

I don't think a second year guy is going to be bumped up to number two. He'll be third string for one more year, then he'll have a chance at the two position or maybe starting if Campbell doesn't do great.