Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: "Redskins Confirm Leftwich Visit"

FrFan

Redskins Confirm Leftwich Visit

The Redskins have confirmed a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette report that back-up quarterback Byron Leftwich visited Redskins Park Friday. Leftwich, a D.C. Native and longtime starter with Jacksonville, spent last season as a back-up in Pittsburgh.

Leftwich, 29, worked out for the club and is seen solely as a possible younger and cheaper replacement to veterans No. 2 Todd Collins, 37. The Redskins informed Leftwich that he would not be competing with Jason Campbell during their meeting with him, according to NFL sources, and made it clear that if signed, he would be there to play only if Campbell was injured or was ineffective during a start.

The Redskins are offering only one-year veteran minimum contracts to free agents at this time, and made no offer to Leftwich Friday, according to a source. Leftwich, the seventh overall pick in 2003, who was once considered a potential franchise quarterback, has received little interest in free agency despite his past success. Leftwich flourished in a second-half performance against the Redskins in a Monday night game last season and has said in the past he aspires to start again.

The timing of his arrival here was exceedingly odd, considering how long Leftwich has been available, and given that owner Daniel Snyder, executive vice president Vinny Cerrato and Coach Jim Zorn spent the day trying to smooth over relations with starting quarterback Jason Campbell after the team solicited interest in Campbell last week while engaged in deep negotiations to try to acquire Denver quarterback Jay Cutler.

With Collins here, there was a distinct pecking order established, while the dynamic with Leftwich might be more complicated, given he is much younger than Collins and has considerably more starting experience (he has made 46 NFL starts; Campbell has made 36 starts). The Redskins operate in a hybrid West Coast offense; Leftwich struggled when Jacksonville implemented that system under Bill Musgrave, a former Washington assistant, and he is a less mobile dropback passer at 6-5, 250, who has shined more in a vertical passing game.

However, if he did sign here for the veteran minimum, it would allow Snyder to save over a million dollars this season, with Collins due a $1.9 salary and a $100,000 workout bonus as well. He is due to make $3 million in 2010 and received a $3 million signing bonus in 2007. Releasing Collins would result in a nominal cap hit, but would save actual dollars.

Collins also has limited experience in a West Coast offense. He made four starts late in 2007, helping the Redskins reach the playoffs under then offensive coordinator Al Saunders, his longtime mentor. Collins did not take a snap in 2008.

The Redskins are hopeful that No. 3 quarterback Colt Brennan, a 2008 draft pick, will develop into an effective player over time and are pleased with his progress, according to a league source, but the preference is to have a more veteran presence as the primary back-up at this time.

The Redskins informed Leftwich that he would not be competing with Jason Campbell during their meeting with him, according to NFL sources, and made it clear that if signed, he would be there to play only if Campbell was injured or was ineffective during a start.

That could be interesting. If that's really what the Redskins said and not just JLC's interpretation, than that would mean that Campbell isn't going to get much slack this season. He doesn't play well, he could easily be benched. I'm a Campbell supporter, but I agree with this philosophy. Campbell has to put up some good games, otherwise he's out.

I'd rather have Leftwich than the aging Collins to be that guy who could take over, but again, scheme-wise, Leftwich doesn't seem a great fit.

so skins save money by getting rid of collins

a million dollars or so.. yeah lets get on that dan Sign Lord Bryon

Actually, I don't think that's going to be true. He said how it would save Dan Snyder millions from paying Collins what he'll be due. In terms of actual cap space there should be no/little change.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/the-todd-collins-contract.html

"Sources said the deal is actually for six years, but the final three years are set up as such so they will void automatically (much like Mark Brunell's last deal voided after 2007). But for cap purposes the $3 million signing bonus is spread over 6 years rather than 3."

That means we pay $500k each season. So, we'd have $2.5 million still to pay him. In 2009, if he was on the team, we'd pay the $1.9m base + $100k workout + $500k SB prorated = $2.5m.

$2.5m if we keep Collins, $2.5m if we let him go. No difference.

This **** gets more and more bizarre IMO. It just seems that Snyderatto are desperately seeking Jason's replacement. Some how, some way.

I agree.

Anyways, I might have to start a "Thank You Todd" thread in appreciation for a QB that led us to the playoffs during the worst of times.

I agree.

Anyways, I might have to start a "Thank You Todd" thread in appreciation for a QB that led us to the playoffs during the worst of times.

Agreed. You can cool well believe if it wasn't for Collins that YEAR we would have been at home looking at the other teams play in the playoffs. The best S in the game, Sean Taylor's death also motivated us as a team to get it done. Collins got a nice pay day after that season so he didn't totally lose out.

No on Leftwich, behind our line, he's get sacked 5 times a game.

I'd like to go into the season with Collins and an open competition at QB. He's probably the best QB we have on the roster.

You have to wonder if Synderrato is telling Zorn to pull a Shanahan and make fit the passing scheme to the players.(i.e more shotgun, deep passes, along with the short ones)

Something's sure afoot at the Park as regards the QB situation.

If it ultimately leads to Jason leaving, after this past week, I'm staying WELL away from these here boards, as the man hunt for Snyder and Cerrato will beat anything the FBI could ever muster. :doh:

Hail.

Archived