Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we the deepest team in the league at corner

Burgold

I was just thinking about our secondary today and i think we are thin at cornerback. Last year we were deep with Springs, Rogers, Hall, and Smoot. This year we are somewhat thin. If Rogers or Hall goes down..are you really comfortable with Fred Smoot starting? I love the guy but he isn't starter quality anymore.

And we are not nearly the deepest team at cornerback. Look at Philly for example, Samuel, Brown, Hanson, and Ikegunowu (A projected 1st round pick before he tore his ACL).

Now if Tryon steps up, i will feel comfortable at corner but until he shows improvement in the pre-season this year i will worry about this position.

Disagree on the DL. I think people are going to be sorely disappointed in that unit this season.

The D-Line can't be less effective than the last few years and the money situation doesn't bother me.

I was just thinking about our secondary today and i think we are thin at cornerback. Last year we were deep with Springs, Rogers, Hall, and Smoot. This year we are somewhat thin. If Rogers or Hall goes down..are you really comfortable with Fred Smoot starting? I love the guy but he isn't starter quality anymore.

And we are not nearly the deepest team at cornerback. Look at Philly for example, Samuel, Brown, Hanson, and Ikegunowu (A projected 1st round pick before he tore his ACL).

Now if Tryon steps up, i will feel comfortable at corner but until he shows improvement in the pre-season this year i will worry about this position.

yes I am comfortable with Smoot starting. I've also been impressed with Byron Westbrook the last couple of preseasons.

I was just thinking about our secondary today and i think we are thin at cornerback. Last year we were deep with Springs, Rogers, Hall, and Smoot.

Name 3 teams that have 4 start worthy CB's............:saber:

For those people who are saying we are not the deepest team in the league at corner, I was just wondering who is deeper. I am not disagreeing, just would like to hear your opinions.

I am disagreeing, If we had any kinda pass rush last season we would be in the arguement of best defense in the league last season dropped picks and all

Well, Rogers and Hall are a great starting tandem. Factor in Smoot, who has done well in a nickel role (and can spot start if necessary) and it's a good trio. Not sure how Tryon is doing this off-season, but the FO has high hopes for him and I think he can do a good job for us.

As far as the entire secondary is concerned, I think we have arguably the best unit in the league. Landry is one of the best safeties, and performs wherever you put him and can put hits on him. Chris Horton is a ballhawk, and Reed Doughty and Kareem Moore are very good backups who will also get time because the extra defensive back is sometimes a safety.

We're definitely in good shape as far as the secondary is concerned.

For those people who are saying we are not the deepest team in the league at corner, I was just wondering who is deeper. I am not disagreeing, just would like to hear your opinions.
after cutting Springs I would agree that we aren't, but off the top of my head, I can't think of a team whose deeper at CB currently

I would say the Packers are deeper. Harris and Woodson are older and rack up a lot of PI's, but they are also damn good. GB had 22 picks and 6 interceptions returned to the house last season.

The Bucs, Steelers, and Titans (we'll see how they do without AH) all have nice secondaries as well. They are all at least comparable to ours I would think.

Like i said, the Eagles are deeper. So deep they traded away Lito Sheppard.

Asante Samuel, Sheldon Brown, Joselio Hansen, and then they have Jack Ikegwuonuo (sp?) who was a projected 1st round pick. Sounds to me like they could have 4 starting caliber corners.

Don't get me wrong though, i think the skins are in good shape but i do not think they are the deepest in the league. Maybe if our 3rd corner was younger with more upside. I love Smoot but only as the 3rd corner.

Disagree on the DL. I think people are going to be sorely disappointed in that unit this season.

Well it depends on what people expect. We don't have the same kind of defensive end tandem that the Giants have, because they have pass rushing speed guys. We have only one of those in Carter, but we have solidfied the left D.E. with Wynn and Daniels. We will stuff the run far better than anybody in the NFL East with our defensive line.

I think if you are expecting 47 sacks you will be disappointed. If you are expecting that the Skins will be a TOP 3 defense against the run, then you will NOT be disappointed.

after cutting Springs I would agree that we aren't, but off the top of my head, I can't think of a team whose deeper at CB currently

I think our corners are being overrated right now. If ANY one of the top three goes down, we are screwed, as Tryon would have to play the slot. We all saw how he looked last season. Besides, people seem to forget that even Smoot looked really bad for the most part of last season.

However, I do like our safety depth in Landry, Horton, Moore, and Doughty.

Well New England is good now that they have Springs, Philly is pretty good, along with other teams. Its debatable...HOWEVER....

I think we are as strong as anybody as a secondary. our safeties are getting better.

We've got three pretty good corners. Rogers, Hall, and Smoot are a pretty good trio. I'm not sure about the dime guy (would it be Landry, would it be last year's rook?), but I'm pretty darn comfortable with how we can match up anyone's receivers. We have a strong cover corner, a playmaker, and a mouth. That's not bad.

Now, I don't know if we can mount enough pressure to ever get to the qb, but our defensive backfield (Horton and Landry included) ought to be good enough to give our big boys an extra second or two.

Now, I'd rather have the inverse. I'd rather have a great line and decent cbs, but I though after only talking qbs for a few days that we ought to go up in the alphabet for a moment. Besides, cbs needs the ratings.

Well, i think the kid Kareem Moore did pretty well in the dime packages last season. I believe our entire secondary from top to bottom is one of the best, if not the best in the league. We just need to get to the QB and we will be set.

Well New England is good now that they have Springs,......

I think we are as strong as anybody as a secondary. our safeties are getting better.

Yeah, but i guarantee that Springs only plays about 9-12 games at the most this season. He will be good if available, but that is a big IF.

However, I do like our safety depth in Landry, Horton, Moore, and Doughty.

Don't forget the vet Mike Green from Seattle.

We might not be the deepest in corner but WE ARE the deepest, youngest, and most talented at the safety position. The ONLY thing that we miss in our safeties is burst speed if you exclude Moore and Landry.

Yeah, but i guarantee that Springs only plays about 9-12 games at the most this season. He will be good if available, but that is a big IF.

Yeah he is going to have his plate full covering Camarillo, Ginn, Owens, Lee Evans, Galloway and so on but I'm sure he can handle it after covering NFC East receivers.

Like i said, the Eagles are deeper. So deep they traded away Lito Sheppard.

Asante Samuel, Sheldon Brown, Joselio Hansen, and then they have Jack Ikegwuonuo (sp?) who was a projected 1st round pick. Sounds to me like they could have 4 starting caliber corners.

Don't get me wrong though, i think the skins are in good shape but i do not think they are the deepest in the league. Maybe if our 3rd corner was younger with more upside. I love Smoot but only as the 3rd corner.

Brown is their best corner and Hansen is DECENT/developing. As for Asante....OVER RATED. He picked off Tavaris Jackson and a over rated Eli Manning in the wind on obvious curl routes....big whoop. I know our receivers can burn Asante.

I think our cornerbacks are only as good as our pass rush which is a little suspect right now. We don't have a speed rusher to balance out the Haynesworth attack in the middle. Giving up on Springs hurts us b/c I don't think Carlos Rogers can step up to be the physical corner we need him to be...but alas we'll see if he's progressed in pre-season.

But to answer the OP's question, I think we are one of the deepest teams in the league at corner, but probably not the deepest.

I think our cornerbacks are only as good as our pass rush which is a little suspect right now. We don't have a speed rusher to balance out the Haynesworth attack in the middle. Giving up on Springs hurts us b/c I don't think Carlos Rogers can step up to be the physical corner we need him to be...but alas we'll see if he's progressed in pre-season.

But to answer the OP's question, I think we are one of the deepest teams in the league at corner, but probably not the deepest.

I think Rogers is already a very physical cornerback. He plays the run well and can deliver a good hit too. Remember when he laid out Joshua Cribbs last year on the Browns?

Rogers is the complete package at CB...he can cover well, plays the run well, only problem is he can't catch...thats the only thing keeping him from being an elite CB.

Archived