Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we the deepest team in the league at corner

Burgold

We've got three pretty good corners. Rogers, Hall, and Smoot are a pretty good trio. I'm not sure about the dime guy (would it be Landry, would it be last year's rook?), but I'm pretty darn comfortable with how we can match up anyone's receivers. We have a strong cover corner, a playmaker, and a mouth. That's not bad.

Now, I don't know if we can mount enough pressure to ever get to the qb, but our defensive backfield (Horton and Landry included) ought to be good enough to give our big boys an extra second or two.

Now, I'd rather have the inverse. I'd rather have a great line and decent cbs, but I though after only talking qbs for a few days that we ought to go up in the alphabet for a moment. Besides, cbs needs the ratings.

We're missing a guy who can play inside technique (which Springs played for us last year). Carlos pulled spot duty on this position a few times. The idea that Smoot is anything more than a nickel/dimeback at this point is a little far fetched.

I still think we have a great, young defensive backfield, but if we didn't have huge holes to fill at SAM, OT, etc. We'd probably be talking about where to find a good nickel back.

I'm pretty sure that the Skins are interested in what JT brings to this team in the future. Having invested a 4th? round pick in him I think they were kind of high on him, obviously there was a lot of CB talent in last years draft that went before him.

The bad part is all of our corners seem to be in the same mold. Tryon lacks the physical needs of the corner in height which can be redirected with fast speeds but, if he can't cover he's one and done in this league.

She showed almost no promise of being a legit corner in pre-season of last year, I'd really hope to see some kind of development out of this kid at some point. You have all these kids coming into the NFL running blazing fast but without the form and skills they're nothing. I'm pretty sure he's like a Colt Brennan, he's getting molded as we speak and shouldn't expect real on the field production from him for at least another year.

As far as the CB situation on this team goes, we're right there. 3 CB's that can all step in and start, whether or not you think he's starting material, he is. I'm pretty sure it was the situations he was in last year as a corner that exposed him a bit. Having him in the nickle situation for most of the year may benefit him. I don't think you can move him around.

When we talk about Carlos, I don't even know where to start. He shows amazing skill as a corner. He CAN make the play, he can really bat that ball down, and he can keep up with anyone in this league. It amazes me how fast him and McIntosh recovered from knee surgeries. I don't think the benching of him last year will have a lasting effect, I believe this man is pro-bowl material.

DeAngelo Hall is just a beast in the right situation. He does in fact give up the big play some games though, that's my only real knock on him. He can get a lot of picks and he's fast, but sadly he's risky and there comes a point and time when you pay for it, and he sometimes does. That being said he's the best corner when we talk about play making ability, he lacks coverage ability but makes up for it with the plays and amazing speed. That's why he can stay and produce in the NFL.

Landry would not play dime for us I don't believe. It could possibly be Tryon if he's ready but I'm sure we will pick up an undrafted FA or draft one ourselves to help out there.

I like our DB situation a lot. I think our D-line is pretty stout as well. PD and Wynn rotating is pretty decent. Both keeping the other fresh. Albert "Wait till he gets his Haynes on you" Haynesworth is going to create opportunities for EVERYONE. Monty, Carter, PD and Wynn will all benefit from AH, but not as much as Fletcher. This dude is primed to have anotherr Pro-Bowl season, so much so he may actually be voted to it this time. The common bond for everyone on the D-line minus AH is that they are all pissed about their low ball contract offer and will play with a chip on their shoulder. Wow. This no doubt will create hurries and bad decisions on QB's parts giving way to situations for success in our secondary.

Its our WR's that Im worried about. A lot of people on here want to hope that Kelly and Thomas figure it out this season. Im of the opinion that the same WR corps is what will hold Campbell back this season. We need a poss reciever in the worst way. Our defense can be the best in the world, but if they keep getting put back on the field after a field goal or a turnover on downs, then not only will they get tired, but much like last year, the moral will drop. Something to think about.

We're missing a guy who can play inside technique (which Springs played for us last year). Carlos pulled spot duty on this position a few times. The idea that Smoot is anything more than a nickel/dimeback at this point is a little far fetched.

I still think we have a great, young defensive backfield, but if we didn't have huge holes to fill at SAM, OT, etc. We'd probably be talking about where to find a good nickel back.

Springs was injured most of last season, so considering we were missing Springs last season I'd say we have a damn good defensive backfield. I'm hoping Carlos Rogers continues to improve and now that we have a decent DT, maybe we start to create turnovers.

Bingo. We have three good corners all of which are capable of starting. What we do not have is a nickel corner. Many people don't realize that a #3 corner =/ a nickel corner. Lining up inside is a completely different position than lining up outside. It would be like a SS trying to play FS or vice versa. Some guys can do it but not all of them.

Shawn Springs filled this role for us and was very good at it. Without him we are actually weaker at DB than we were last season but I'm sure Blache/Gray have an idea of who they can have fill that role. Hopefully at these camps/workouts/ota's they are training someone to take over this role. I somewhat doubt it's going to be JT simply because of his size. As the inside player he would struggle to help in run support. I think it's more likely it's going to be Smoot or Rogers. My bet would be Rogers because he's a little more physical.

Springs was injured most of last season, so considering we were missing Springs last season I'd say we have a damn good defensive backfield. I'm hoping Carlos Rogers continues to improve and now that we have a decent DT, maybe we start to create turnovers.

When healthy Springs was awesome... when healthy...

our secondary is definitely the strength of our team. rogers, hall, landry, smoot, and horton are all solid players. they're also all pretty young with the exception of smoot. now if only we were stocked at every other position like we were at corner, or at least in the trenches, this team would be set.

CB is the 2nd hardest position on the field and we are blessed to have so much talent. With Haynesworth eating up the middle, he can bring the best out of many CBs. Just look at what he did for the mediocre CBs in Tennessee. I believe Smoot and Tyron are very good corners with Haynesworth in the middle.

As for Rogers and Hall.....it is going to be NASTY. Believe me...our CBs and safeties will shed blood on that field.

We have the youngest & most talented secondary in the league....Period. They were put on leashes due to our lack of D-line play last year but they are getting off the leash this year and will be freed up. (Can anyone say Landry blitz???)

It is nice to see a thread on ES about a POSITIVE aspect of our wonderful Redskins team.

Seriously....we are very blessed to come across Horton and have picked up Landry the year before. Even our backup safeties are nasty with it and can provide good depth. (Reed doughty, Mike Green, Kareem Moore)

>Hail2RedskinzSecondary<

Archived