Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell is going to throw for over 4000 yards....

MrMarcus1914

Basically it amounts to someone getting open deep once a game and Campbell hitting him. one more big passing play a game and he's got that.

that'll open the run up more.

the issue is, with our oline playing so poorly, they couldn't protect long enough for a 5 or 7 step drop.

Imagine:

Samuels Dockery Rabach Thomas Oher/Smith

Any reason this line isn't an upgrade over last year?

He put up 3245last year, when he played 7 of the top 12 defenses in the league. With an easier schedule and improvements from last years rookies, there is no reason he can't throw for 800 more yards.

Why is he all of a sudden going to double his TD production and throw for 800 more yards? Is some magical light going to come on in his head? Throwing for 4000 yards would put him with Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, and Jay Cutler. Not going to happen.

which is why its beyond me that people think Cutler would come in here and instantly light it up. He wouldn't. We are lacking talent at WR (at least based on last year) and our oline isn't nearly as good as denvers
AND Cutler goes from playing the Raiders, Chiefs and Chargers twice a year to the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys. That alone reduces his production by 1000 yards. Where does that leave him? 3500 yds. Hmmm, what other QB threw for right around that?

you know what you got to do ...

try watching the skins, like the actual games. You will then see SOMETHING.

- jason has showed a pretty uncanny ability to scramble and pick up yards this year. At least on 5-6 different occaisions he picked up first downs by tucking the ball and running with it...when you can, see the end of the San Fran game

- jason for a long stretch proved to be real good at protecting the ball. he started off the season by not throwing any picks in like the first 4-5 games. That was cool...

- jason showed, with a little protection and a good running game he can win ball games. in 2008, just last year, he went 6-2 to start the season.

Hmm, didn't we lose the San Fran game? So his amazing scrambling ability really didn't do **** for us did it?

Yeah, it was great he didn't throw any picks, but he hardly was elite either, the 6-2 start was mainly on Portis' shoulders. Lets see:

• Top passer week 1vs Giants - Eli Manning (216 yards)
  • Top passer week 2 vs. Saints - Jason Campbell (316 yards)
  • Top passer week 3 vs. Cards - Jason Campbell (192 yards)
  • Top passer week 4 vs. Cowboys - Tony Romo sits to pee (300 yards)
  • Top passer week 5 vs. Eagles - Donovan McNabb (196 yards)
  • Top passer week 6 vs. Rams - Jason Campbell (208 yards)
  • Top passer week 7 vs. Browns - Jason Campbell (164 yards)
  • Top passer week 8 vs. Lions - Jason Campbell (328 yards)

If you look at it, he did have two 300+ yard games, one was versus the Lions though and in the other games, it was mediocre at best. Our defense is what kept us in ball games along with the running game. Once teams stopped Portis the second half of the season, where was JC then?

AND Cutler goes from playing the Raiders, Chiefs and Chargers twice a year to the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys. That alone reduces his production by 1000 yards. Where does that leave him? 3500 yds. Hmmm, what other QB threw for right around that?

I love how you automatically assume Cutler can't get it done and is going to throw for 1000 less yards, but Campbell is this amazing QB who is going to improve drastically.

Why is he all of a sudden going to double his TD production and throw for 800 more yards? Is some magical light going to come on in his head? Throwing for 4000 yards would put him with Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, and Jay Cutler. Not going to happen.
Umm, maybe because he is playing in the same offense for a second year? Because the o-line will be improved? Because the WR will be improved? And because the schedule will be markedly easier? We play the AFC West instead of the AFC North.

I love how you automatically assume Cutler can't get it done and is going to throw for 1000 less yards, but Campbell is this amazing QB who is going to improve drastically.
I don't assume. From the Redskins Blog:
But by my informal count, only eight of his (Cutler's) 37 career games have come against defenses ranked in the top 12 in the season he played them (and if you take the top 10, it drops to five games). Campbell had seven against the top 12 this past season alone, and still posted respectable numbers.
He benefited greatly from playing in a lousy defensive division. The NFC East was right there with the AFC North in terms of defense, if not better. You really think that Cutler is going to improve on his numbers playing against better defenses with poorer receivers?

Umm, maybe because he is playing in the same offense for a second year? Because the o-line will be improved? Because the WR will be improved? And because the schedule will be markedly easier? We play the AFC West instead of the AFC North.

He is a 27 year old professional quarterback. Stop giving the system excuse. Campbell is nowhere near the caliber of quarterbacks that threw for 4000 yards last year.

I want him to succeed. I haven't seen the leadership, decision making, or production to make me think he is going to automatically improve like this. I'm tired of mediocrity. I don't understand the blind optimism.

I don't assume. From the Redskins Blog:He benefited greatly from playing in a lousy defensive division. The NFC East was right there with the AFC North in terms of defense, if not better. You really think that Cutler is going to improve on his numbers playing against better defenses with poorer receivers?

I never said he would improve, I think he won't recede as horribly as you make it out to be. I also don't see Campbell putting up ridiculous franchise QB numbers like you seem to think he will.

He is a 27 year old professional quarterback. Stop giving the system excuse. Campbell is nowhere near the caliber of quarterbacks that threw for 4000 yards last year.
Excuse? He hasn't spent 2 consecutive season in the same system since high school! All of the QBS that threw for 4000 yards last year, what do they have in common? Continuity. Comfort in the system.
I want him to succeed. I haven't seen the leadership, decision making, or production to make me think he is going to automatically improve like this. I'm tired of mediocrity. I don't understand the blind optimism.
Decision making? You mean like having not thrown an interception until Week 9?

I never said he would improve, I think he won't recede as horribly as you make it out to be. I also don't see Campbell putting up ridiculous franchise QB numbers like you seem to think he will.
Ridiculous? 45 more yds/game is ridiculous? 800 yds over 16 games is ridiculous? Drew Brees broke 5000 yds last year. That is ridiculous.

Excuse? He hasn't spent 2 consecutive season in the same system since high school! All of the QBS that threw for 4000 yards last year, what do they have in common? Continuity. Comfort in the system.Decision making? You mean like having not thrown an interception until Week 9?

Did you ever think there was a reason he hasn't been in the same system? Maybe people have been trying to fit him in a system for a long time but can't seem to find any that he can successfully work in? It's like a constant square-peg-in-round-hole syndrome, and I'm tired of the excuses. He doesn't have the quick release that we need. That certainly attributed to the sacks he took.

Todd flourished with the team in '07 and proved our current group of personnel on offense can be successful, but it's always everyone but Campbell's fault.

I mean decision making as in being afraid to throw to any receiver that doesn't have a mile of space between him and the defender. I mean decision making as in throwing 13 TDs. I mean decision making as in throwing a dumpoff every play and not taking any chances.

Ridiculous? 45 more yds/game is ridiculous? 800 yds over 16 games is ridiculous? Drew Brees broke 5000 yds last year. That is ridiculous.

45 yards a game is a lot more than you seem to think it is. 45 yards a game is the difference between Peyton Manning (league MVP) and Kyle Orton. It's not so easily obtainable like you think.

45 yards a game is a lot more than you seem to think it is. 45 yards a game is the difference between Peyton Manning (league MVP) and Kyle Orton. It's not so easily obtainable like you think.
No, Manning and Orton are separated by 64 yds/game, 1030 over the season. Manning had a very down year and threw for 4002 yards.

I'm tired of arguing with them. Apparently Campbell is the next Peyton Manning and all he needs is one more year. Haven't heard that one before.
And I am tired of people writing a player off after 2 1/2 years. You wonder how the Skins never develop players? They trade away players and picks for the latest and greatest. Antonio Pierce. Ryan Clark. How much better is our team overall if we kept them? No need to draft so many safeties, maybe the oline and dline are deeper.

there are some seriously delusional people on this board. im worried about some of you guys when campbell doesnt come close to most of these expectations.

Are you talking about reporting to training camp on time, or eating fast food during camp? I admit the second may be a bit of a reach, but I won't jump off a bridge or anything if I'm wrong.

And I am tired of people writing a player off after 2 1/2 years. You wonder how the Skins never develop players? They trade away players and picks for the latest and greatest. Antonio Pierce. Ryan Clark. How much better is our team overall if we kept them? No need to draft so many safeties, maybe the oline and dline are deeper.

So for the first 1-1/2 years he wasn't developing?

No, Manning and Orton are separated by 64 yds/game, 1030 over the season. Manning had a very down year and threw for 4002 yards.

Let's do the math here.

250.1(Manning)-198.1(Orton)=52

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

Perhaps you would rather me use Jason himself?

250.1(Manning)-202.8(Campbell)=47.3

Ahh, I get it, Campbell is just as good as a league MVP.

Since this is a RIDICULOUS thread. I will go way out on a limb. Colt playing with the first string would out perform Jason In YDS and TDs, And move with offense better. Just give Colt a fair chance. Colts TD passes in the pre season our throws JC would of never made. The fact is, he did what was asked of him. Colt would play a lot better with the first string

Let's do the math here.

250.1(Manning)-198.1(Orton)=52

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

Perhaps you would rather me use Jason himself?

250.1(Manning)-202.8(Campbell)=47.3

Ahh, I get it, Campbell is just as good as a league MVP.

Using your absurd reasoning, the following players are better than P MAnning:

• Drew Brees
  • Kurt Warner
  • Jay Cutler
  • Matt Schaub
  • Tony Romo sits to pee
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Philip Rivers

Still want to stand by your point?

I never claimed Campbell will be as good as the league MVP. But here is the funny thing: at the halfway point last year, Campbell was in the conversation for MVP. Expecting Campbell to throw for 250 yards does not mean he will be as good as P Manning. It simply means he will throw for 4000 yards.

Archived