Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has there ever been a trade that was awful for 3 teams before?

The more I ponder the Cutler deal, the more amazing it is for me. Three teams are worse off today than they were yesterday because of it.

1. Denver. What a cluster**** this has been. You have an All Pro QB and a lousy defense. So...what do you do? You have your teenage coach piss off the one player keeping your team competitive to the point that you have to trade him. And now you have hung your hopes on the beard of Kyle Orton. The draft picks are a nice haul.

But do you think Denver fans are going to be happy watching Orton go 12 for 20 for 162 yards while the defense is giving up 35 points a game? Do you think McDaniel is going to survive the two ten-loss seasons it make take to get any benefit from this deal?

Their only saving grace is that the AFC West could be an abortion again next year, and they might sneak into the playoffs on sheer moxie and a Chargers implosion.

2. Chicago. All right. They finally got their Quarterback of the Future of the Week. Which is the 29th Quarterback of the Future of the Week since Jim McMahon died or retired or did whatever Jim McMahon did.

And now the have a temperamental QB who is going to be throwing into those winds to a tiny DB and a bunch of guys named Moe. Seriously, they just put solid gold rims on an 86 K Car with 300,000 miles. Is that offense demonstrably better with Cutler? I guess. But Chicago is where QBs go to die. And Cutler is going to shiv a receiver by mid-October, I feel. And that is before it gets cold.

And they have no ammo now to improve those lack of offensive weapons. Good times all around.

3. Washington. Well, that was fun. We basically announced to the world: "We have no faith in our quarterback! None!" And the rest of the world said in unison: "Yea...we can see why."

Jason Campbell may be the lamest duck quarterback to ever, well, be a duck. Even if he sets the world on fire in 2009, do you really think he signs with the team that just tried to deal him? So...enjoy the final year of the Jason Campbell Experiment for good or for ill. And with him may go the Jim Zorn Era.

Because if you are starting over in 2010 anyway ..... and Shanahan and Cowher are STILL out there....welll....what would you do?

So, yea, fun for everyone.

I don't think this was altogether that much of a loss for Denver.

They got rid of a problem who hadn't really proved he could win and got draft picks to build for the future.

Looks like a miniature version of the Walker trade to me.

I don't get this. Cutler was not a problem until McDaniel walk in, looked at him, and said "Go **** yourself!"

Cutler would get pissy on the sidelines but so do the Mannings. And so did Brett Favre. And so does Phillip Rivers. And so does Roethlisberger. And so on and so on. A pissy QB during a game where your defense is just killing you is probably a good thing.

Jason Campbell hasn't been that good at QB. We may still have hope in him, but, it's impossible to have faith in him as he's done little to merit faith. The Redskins lost nothing in yesterday's action with the Bears and Broncos.

The news media offered inside information that a number of teams were in the hunt for Cutler. None mentioned the Bears, who got him. Strange that. More strange we are so influenced by a bunch of people who talked about half a dozen teams hot in pursuit for the guy and not one actually mentioned the actual partner for him.

Campbell will have no choice where he signs if he lights up the world and becomes a franchise player, we'll make him one and treat him so. If he doesn't, he'll be let go and can settle where he lands. It is improble to believe Campbell would go through a season of elite play and point back to this period as why he would never play for the team he just crushed it with.

These are the sorts of fears children are moved by. Few others share such worries.

The more I ponder the Cutler deal' date=' the more amazing it is for me. Three teams are worse off today than they were yesterday because of it.

1. Denver. What a cluster**** this has been. You have an All Pro QB and a lousy defense. So...what do you do? You have your teenage coach piss off the one player keeping your team competitive to the point that you have to trade him. And now you have hung your hopes on the beard of Kyle Orton. The draft picks are a nice haul.

But do you think Denver fans are going to be happy watching Orton go 12 for 20 for 162 yards while the defense is giving up 35 points a game? Do you think McDaniel is going to survive the two ten-loss seasons it make take to get any benefit from this deal?

Their only saving grace is that the AFC West could be an abortion again next year, and they might sneak into the playoffs on sheer moxie and a Chargers implosion.

2. Chicago. All right. They finally got their Quarterback of the Future of the Week. Which is the 29th Quarterback of the Future of the Week since Jim McMahon died or retired or did whatever Jim McMahon did.

And now the have a temperamental QB who is going to be throwing into those winds to a tiny DB and a bunch of guys named Moe. Seriously, they just put solid gold rims on an 86 K Car with 300,000 miles. Is that offense demonstrably better with Cutler? I guess. But Chicago is where QBs go to die. And Cutler is going to shiv a receiver by mid-October, I feel. And that is before it gets cold.

And they have no ammo now to improve those lack of offensive weapons. Good times all around.

3. Washington. Well, that was fun. We basically announced to the world: "We have no faith in our quarterback! None!" And the rest of the world said in unison: "Yea...we can see why."

Jason Campbell may be the lamest duck quarterback to ever, well, be a duck. Even if he sets the world on fire in 2009, do you really think he signs with the team that just tried to deal him? So...enjoy the final year of the Jason Campbell Experiment for good or for ill. And with him may go the Jim Zorn Era.

Because if you are starting over in 2010 anyway ..... and Shanahan and Cowher are STILL out there....welll....what would you do?

So, yea, fun for everyone.[/quote']

Great Post...you are 100% correct...we start moving in the right direction and then Snyder ***** things up AGAIN...

Lets take a look at the last 3 years and the Kaos that has been caused by Snyder and the desire to get big name players...

-Lance Briggs was the first big name that we almost traded the house for

-Chad Johnson...let me make this clear...the only reason that Chad isnt a redskins is because the Bengals rejected our trade offer of 2 1st round picks...can you imagine how pissed he would be after last years debacle season...NO QB CAN HAVE A PRODUCTIVE YEAR WITHOUT AN OFFENSIVE LINE

-Lastly, maybe my favorite, Cutler...

This team will have a very hard time winning with the current owner/GM and the direction they try and take the team....I feel bad for the players who actually want to win and are tied down by the the lack football knowledge of of this franchise/owner...

People seem to neglect the fact that Cutler's high number of ints made Denver's defense look alot worse than it already is.

It definitely has an effect, but let's not overrate that effect considering most of Cutler's interceptions came when they were already behind.

These are the sorts of fears children are moved by. Few others share such worries.

You are correct. Pro athletes are never petty in their negotiating tactics. And never want out of cities that have "disrespected" them. Because it did not just occur 24 hours ago.

And if Jason Campbell is so goddamn good next year that he deserves the franchise tag as a QB, well, we just won the Super Bowl so most of these concerns are moot anyway.

Most players hate being franchised. For QBs, it's not a bad deal because you end up making something like $18 million.

I don't get this. Cutler was not a problem until McDaniel walk in' date=' looked at him, and said "Go **** yourself!"

Cutler would get pissy on the sidelines but so do the Mannings. And so did Brett Favre. And so does Phillip Rivers. And so does Roethlisberger. And so on and so on. A pissy QB during a game where your defense is just killing you is probably a good thing.[/quote']

Sorry, I didn't imply that he was a problem prior but this wasn't a problem they felt they could resolve the way things were.

Regardless, I think the whole thing was well played by Denver. They got a crap load for Cutler.

You are correct. Pro athletes are never petty in their negotiating tactics. And never want out of cities that have "disrespected" them. Because it did not just occur 24 hours ago.

And if Jason Campbell is so goddamn good next year that he deserves the franchise tag as a QB' date=' well, we just won the Super Bowl so most of these concerns are moot anyway.

Most players hate being franchised. For QBs, it's not a bad deal because you end up making something like $18 million.[/quote']

It doesn't matter if he's petty. Even athletes who come out OPENLY petty who will NEVER play for a team again, almost ALWAYS do. Almost always it gets worked out. Hell, even Cutler was talking about how he didn't want to leave Denver when Denver decided he was leaving.

Your premise is Campbell will be professional enough to put this behind him, light up the game, become a legitimate QB and THEN refuse to sign here because before he did any of that we thought someone else might be better? It's ludicrous.

Sorry, I didn't imply that he was a problem prior but this wasn't a problem they felt they could resolve the way things were.

Regardless, I think the whole thing was well played by Denver. They got a crap load for Cutler.

Well played in the sense that if you accidently burn your house down, but manage to save the garage....you did well for yourself.

It doesn't matter if he's petty. Even athletes who come out OPENLY petty who will NEVER play for a team again, almost ALWAYS do. Almost always it gets worked out. Hell, even Cutler was talking about how he didn't want to leave Denver when Denver decided he was leaving.

Your premise is Campbell will be professional enough to put this behind him, light up the game, become a legitimate QB and THEN refuse to sign here because before he did any of that we thought someone else might be better? It's ludicrous.

That's your premise actually. I think Campbell is going to be mediocre again.

I left out that the real screw up by the Redskins was failing to get Cutler. They might actually be a QB away from challenging for the division even with their O-line problems.

Because, I'm sorry, but our line is better than the Steelers line and the Steelers won the freaking Super Bowl.

So... a Pro Bowl QB was there for the taking...and they let the Bear outbid them?

If the deal is the Denver-Skins, it is an awesome deal for the Skins and still a disaster for the Broncos.

No, Lombardi, it was your premise that, "Even if he sets the world on fire in 2009, do you really think he signs with the team that just tried to deal him?" Those are your words. Your words suggest Campbell will play professionally and well and then tell us to buzz off. Improbable.

Like you, I also think Campbell will only prove to be a solid, but not great starting QB and it's unlikely he'll have high value. I hope that's a poor evaluation. But, if he is great he'll be back. Thinking otherwise is silly.

I also believe, like you, the Redskins are good QB play away from being a legitimate good team. Most likely a lot of teams are in that place. Good QB play doesn't assure you will go to the playoffs. Good defense doesn't. But, good defense and good QB play does :).

And now the have a temperamental QB who is going to be throwing into those winds to a tiny DB and a bunch of guys named Moe. Seriously' date=' they just put solid gold rims on an 86 K Car with 300,000 miles. Is that offense demonstrably better with Cutler? I guess. But Chicago is where QBs go to die. And Cutler is going to shiv a receiver by mid-October, I feel. And that is before it gets cold.

And they have no ammo now to improve those lack of offensive weapons. Good times all around.[/quote']

Cutler throwing against Chicago's winds versus opponents QBs throwing against Chicago's winds = advantage Bears.

The Bears and the Redskins obviously think as highly of Cutler as I do. This is the only QB in the NFL who is worth building your scheme around. The rest need QB friendly schemes to minimize their weaknesses.

Cerrato and Snyder sent a clear signal to Campbell by letting him play the last year of his contract with no hint of interest in negotiating a new one. Then they sent another signal to him by jumping feet first into the Jay Cutler sweepstakes. So who will be surprised if Campbell packs his bags after this season is over?

The trade was win-win for both teams IMO.

Denver, a team with a crippled defense and an unhappy QB got rid of their QB and now has four 1st round draft picks in the next two drafts. They can rebuild their defense and find a QB if they play their cards right.

Chicago already has a stout defense, a young home-run hitter at RB and a solid OL. They now get their franchise back and can fill in holes at WR, OL and the secondary with 2nd and 3rd round picks.

LKB,

You make all good points but if I'm Denver if I can get rid of a thin-skinned guy who doesn't want to be on my team and a 5th round pick for two 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick and a starting player, I do that all day long.

LKB,

You make all good points but if I'm Denver if I can get rid of a thin-skinned guy who doesn't want to be on my team and a 5th round pick for two 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick and a starting player, I do that all day long.

Again, Cutler was not a problem until Lil' Belichick walked in there and pissed off the one asset the team had.

I have to wonder how Brandon Marshall feels today knowing that The Neckbeard is going to be throwing to him next year.

(And I actually am a bit of an Orton fan. I just can't believe you go from Cutler to Cassel to Orton in one month).

I hope JC gets the message that he better answer the critics this year and play the best ball he can play.

The Skins front office is seeing you (JC) as a mediocre QB and one front office thinks Kyle Orton has a better upside than you (Not good unless you want to be QB coach at Auburn).

True Denver fans are pissed they let the second coming go. Denver Fans know and want one thing a star QB on the team, Even Elway is scratching his head on how Pat Bolden let this go down.

Oh and Zorn better have a real offensive game plan. Play calling was pathetic in 08. Bring on Shanahan

Again' date=' Cutler was not a problem until Lil' Belichick walked in there and pissed off the one asset the team had.

I have to wonder how Brandon Marshall feels today knowing that The Neckbeard is going to be throwing to him next year.

(And I actually am a bit of an Orton fan. I just can't believe you go from Cutler to Cassel to Orton in one month).[/quote']

Actually they will most likely use those picks to trade up and land the QB they want. Meanwhile they still have Simms and Orton. Not so bad.

Otherwise, I agree with your OP 100%

I personally don't think Campbell will do anything other than what he's done in previous seasons however I HOPE and pray that he does because the bottom line is I want the Redskins to win

The trade was win-win for both teams IMO.

I dunno... I mean, Jay Cutler may not be worth two 1sts and a 3rd to other teams, but he's definitely worth more than that to the Broncos, or was before they pissed him off.

I see this as a lose situation for the Broncos. Maybe a win for the Bears, but the price is pretty high.

That's your premise actually. I think Campbell is going to be mediocre again.

I left out that the real screw up by the Redskins was failing to get Cutler. They might actually be a QB away from challenging for the division even with their O-line problems.

Because' date=' I'm sorry, but our line is better than the Steelers line and the Steelers won the freaking Super Bowl.

So... a Pro Bowl QB was there for the taking...and they let the Bear outbid them?

If the deal is the Denver-Skins, it is an awesome deal for the Skins and still a disaster for the Broncos.[/quote']

You really believe we are just a probowl calibur QB from being a contender? I agree Cutler is a better QB than Campbell but not two firsts and third better. Cutler is 17-20 as a starter Campbell is 16-20......I know people will say Denvers defense was horrible......but that sounds like the same exscuses we make for Campbell about our OL....

Its a good thing this trade fell through. I believe we will be starting over with a new coach and QB next year so we will need these picks.

I dunno... I mean, Jay Cutler may not be worth two 1sts and a 3rd to other teams, but he's definitely worth more than that to the Broncos, or was before they pissed him off.

I see this as a lose situation for the Broncos. Maybe a win for the Bears, but the price is pretty high.

I don't think we'll know for sure until 2010-2011 when the Broncos have used all 4 of their 1st rounders and we get a peek at what kind of building they have done with them.

Archived