Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB Situation: What should happen?

IbleedBnG83

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I have/do as well as coach and the best thing you can do is light a fire under his butt by having a competition. Competition makes a player better, well the ones that are worth keeping anyway.

No offense, but I'll take the expertise of an experienced NFL QB Coach that has results he can actually point to over some random person on a message board that says he was/does coach, likely at a high school or low end college leve.

Competition DOES help make a better player at times, but it is not an "always" thing.

Campbell last year, while having the coaching staff firmly behind him, imrpoved greatly. His completion percentage went up I believe. His fumbles went down. His interceptions went down. His yards went up I believe (someone may have to check that).

He IMRPOVED. You might say "Well, not good enough". You're not getting Joe Montana in a year, especially the first year of a new season.

Yes, if campbell was HORRIBLE last year. If he had as many Ints as TD's. If he wasn't playing like an outside MVP candidate for the first 8 games. If he hadn't improved in almost every aspect of the game last year then YES, I'd be more open to a competition because it seemed that being firmly behind him didn't do anything.

That was not the case.

The guy did everything that was asked of him last year and improved. He should be our starter next year and the need to help his confidence is greater now that this whole trade BS has happened. Its his 2nd year in a system, he's got the lockerroom rallying around him, he's shown good leadership in not being a baby about the trade thing and going out and training anyways.

You start him this year, and see how he does. If he doesn't make significant improvements or does not do the intangables again to get us to the Playoffs then you start looking in a different direction. But this year, after numerous improvements last year, you make him your starter, you restore his confidence, and you spend the Training Camp focusing on getting him even better in this system rather than trying to have him focus on competing with another of the players actively while having all the players getting split between whose "their QB".

You think you know better about how to handle QB's than someone regarded as one of the best QB coaches in all of the NFL?

A little :ot:, but I've never quite gotten this assertion that he's one of the best QB coaches in the NFL.

In 12 years of coaching, he's had Hasselbeck as his only claim to fame, who admittedly is a legend in Seattle, setting franchise records, but he's hardly one of the best in the league over his time to hold Zorn's coaching ability's in such lofty standing.

Just a personal opinion, continue on.

Hail.

Mind you, this is coming from a Colt supporter. I like the guy, think he gets a bad rap, and could be a legitimate NFL starter. I DO want to see him get his chance.

But Campbell did everything he was supposed to last year. He improved in every aspect of the game. He started getting settled into the system. The failure of 2008 was NOT only on Campbells shoulders. Portis dissappeared. Our Defense couldn't stop ANYONE in the 4th quarter. The O-Line was horrendous. The WR had only one legitimate threat that was pratically removed in the second half of the season.

If he hadn't improved, if the problems could singularly or majorly be pin pointed on him, if he had been doing this system for years and wasn't likely to grow, I'd think differently.

None of those things are the case.

A little :ot:, but I've never quite gotten this assertion that he's one of the best QB coaches in the NFL.

In 12 years of coaching, he's had Hasselbeck as his only claim to fame, who admittedly is a legend in Seattle, setting franchise records, but he's hardly one of the best in the league over his time to hold Zorn's coaching ability's in such lofty standing.

Just a personal opinion, continue on.

Hail.

Understandable there. Honestly, I generally go off what his peers say. Dilfer's played under a number of QB coaches and I know raves about Zorn. I remember just when he was hired as O-Cord that coaches around the league were quoted as complimentary to his ability as a QB coach. Hasselback, while not great, went from a virtual no body to a top 5 QB in the NFC for a good portion there.

Even so, i'd say the majority of people that make it in the NFL for multiple years at a position coach are probably more knowledgable about coaching that position than random joes off a message board.

I voted other, because I think that you can't make a decision till after the draft. If for some strange reason we are sitting pretty or find a way to nab, say Sanchez, then I think you open the competition up, and let the pieces fall where they may.

I think what the poster's saying is Zorn has already confirmed him as the starter, come what may; so in that respect, we need to work on him and boost his confidence for week 1, particularly after the past few days.

Hail.

It's obvious in this Org it doesn't matter what Zorn says.

Play Jason as our starter. If he isn't getting it done, give Colt a chance. Don't draft a QB this year, next year's class has more and better QBs available.

Exactly. There's no point in drafting a QB this year. We still have Colt and Collins if they believe half way through the season that Campbell can't get it done. Plus with Bradford and McCoy coming out next year, I'd take them over Sanchez.

Excellent point there LSF.

That's definitely one of the reasons I would say don't draft a QB at all this time out. The prospects next year look better imho.

Its also why that, whlie I'm not a fan of doing an open competition this year, it wouldn't be a total disaster if we did that and ditch Campbell. It gives us a year to see how Colt works out and if its not that well or just iffy we can draft in a QB heavy draft next year.

Also, I doubt it'd be possible, but IF we could get a 2nd rounder of Campbell I'd probably change positions. I don't think that's likely to happen though.

Archived