Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins to Reassure Campbell (Dan and Vinny to meet with QB)

SMOSS89

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/02/AR2009040204148.html?hpid=topnews

Concerned that Campbell could feel alienated, Redskins Coach Jim Zorn reached out to him yesterday, Campbell said. In a lengthy talk after Campbell worked out at Redskins Park, Zorn reaffirmed his commitment to Campbell and said they were "in it together," Campbell said.

Campbell, Zorn, Cerrato and Snyder are expected to meet soon in attempt to continue the healing process, sources close to Campbell said, with the team at some point planning to issue a statement of confidence in its former first-round draft pick, possibly as early as today. Snyder and Cerrato did not attempt to speak with Campbell yesterday while he was at the complex, Campbell said.

Course, NFL.com said that Campbell did catch Vinny in the hall yesterday...

Campbell told Hanson that he bumped into Vinny Cerrato, executive VP of football operations, in the hallway at the Redskins’ facilities on Thursday before the trade and Cerrato told him “nothing is going on.”

"Jim was honest with me about the whole process and everything that went on, and you appreciate it when people tell you the truth," Campbell said. "I know Jim has been behind me and believes in me, and I have the support of my coaches and my teammates, and that's pretty much all you need.

"To have Jim tell me he knows I can help this team get to where we want to be and that he has that confidence, that trust, in me, that's what you want to hear as a young quarterback in this league after having all this crazy stuff going on around you. Knowing you can trust your coach really helps right now."

Sounds like Zorn is passing the buck on to Snyder and Cerrato.

I think the failure to get Cutler will have ripples with the organization in a good way. Ironically, it will be the failure to get Cutler which will help the team come together even more, and rally around Campbell (particular the offensive players and coaching staff).

If they don't get rid of Campbell and let him play, I think he will perform this year.

This is one instance where having Head Coach Zorn out of the Cerrato/Snyder inner circle of wackiness actually works to an advantage. Zorn can keep his close relationship with Campbell and legitimately say he had no input into the decision to chase Cutler.

i'm callin it...

JC eclipses all his career highs in stats this year, skins make the "paloffs"

WE DON'T SIGN HIM

lol yup and snyder will probably fire Zorn for not going 16-0 and Zorn will take Jason with him wherever he goes. :silly:

i'm callin it...

WE DON'T SIGN HIM

Without trying to bash the guy, let's be honest.

His career high in TDs is 13. His career high in wins is 7. It wouldn't take much for him to break those. And he's not likely to get the head start he had last year again.

The only thing I would be promising is if he does not get us to the playoffs that he will be looking for a job somewhere else. This I need to be in a system longer then M.Ryan and J.Flacco does to put up there kind of numbers is getting old and is a cop out. He just does not have the grit and mental toughness or the smarts to read and react quickly. And by the way he gets sacked more because he holds the ball to long and has a slow release unlike J. Cutler.

The ONLY reason they are gonna reassure him, besides the obvious, is that there is NO value for him out there. I keep checking PFT to see if they try to move him anyway, which at this point, wouldn't be a terrible idea, though I'm not sure what we would do for our QB next season.

I think the "we're in it together" is actually true. Zorn and Campbell are definitely linked. If Campbell fails, Zorn is out. There's going to be a short leash by this front office.

What a wonderful post. This is Gospel, everything else is just noise.

i'm callin it...

WE DON'T SIGN HIM

If he actually did have a great year we'd franchise him...he'd still be here or we'd get great compensation in a trade.

Under the current CBA we could effectively lock down 2 players. Campbell and Rodgers, one with the franchise tag, another with the transition tag.

I'm a Campbell critic and I don't mind this meeting. But they should, at some point, make it clear that everyone associated in the organization respects and loves him as a person but that the only reason the trade talks even got started is because they need to see more on the field and that they will 'pursue him' after this year with a worthy contract if he performs in a fashion that removes all doubt.

But there is a part of this that sounds like when a couple people on the team told Jason during 2007 that the team would have won those same games with him at QB to make the playoffs when even a blind hyena could tell you that this was not the case.

If Campbell takes the Brees-like approach and works on getting better and more confident with every pass attempt and let's loose his sundial throwing motion, then maybe we can be good enough to do some damage.

If people in this fanbase think sub-20 TD performances are great or showing improvement or that every team in every era should be the Cowboys of 92---good luck with that.

Archived