Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sleep Apnea

CrypticVillain

Absolute worst night of sleep I've ever had. Between all of the wires that are glued/taped to you (shave your legs before you go......I'm not kidding......seriously.....shave them), being in a strange room with a camera monitoring you......you also have to contend with the technician repeatedly waking you if you do somehow manage to fall asleep just to tell you to change sleeping positions. It's all worth it though once you get used to the CPAP and realize what a good night's sleep really feels like.

Don't like hearing that! Shave my legs?? Why? The tape pull your hairs out or something?

Man I forgot to bump this thread when I turned in my paper. I got a B on the paper. My teacher said I had some good information in that there. SO I thank you all for the stories. Oh yeah I can't stress this enough, if you even think you have Sleep Apnea, you have to go get that checked out ASAP.

Man I forgot to bump this thread when I turned in my paper. I got a B on the paper. My teacher said I had some good information in that there. SO I thank you all for the stories. Oh yeah I can't stress this enough, if you even think you have Sleep Apnea, you have to go get that checked out ASAP.

Yeah I gotta get on it. I'm just too tired to make an appointment. I kid! I kid!

Just started my CPAP machine on Friday, it def sucks sleeping in that mask but starting to feel better day by day

Bump with an update of how its going if you don't mind. I just know I'm gonna end up with one and I'd like to know how someone else new to it is handling the machine.

Don't like hearing that! Shave my legs?? Why? The tape pull your hairs out or something?

I am a rather large and hairy mammal. They had to use extra glue to get the nodes to hold and when that didn't work they pulled out the tape. Lots of it. I also recommend getting rid of any facial hair.

Bump with an update of how its going if you don't mind. I just know I'm gonna end up with one and I'd like to know how someone else new to it is handling the machine.

It took me a couple of months to really get used to sleeping with it. Once I did it made a world of difference in how I felt. It really is life changing......I cannot stress that enough. They have a few different style masks.....try them all till you find something you are comfortable with. Personally, I use a full mask that covers my nose and mouth. A deviated septum makes it hard for me to breathe through my nose with or without the CPAP. You'll find that once you do get used to it you won't be able to sleep without it.

PS: JP is spot on with the Respironics.

http://mseries.respironics.com/

It took me a couple of months to really get used to sleeping with it. Once I did it made a world of difference in how I felt. It really is life changing......I cannot stress that enough. They have a few different style masks.....try them all till you find something you are comfortable with. Personally, I use a full mask that covers my nose and mouth. A deviated septum makes it hard for me to breathe through my nose with or without the CPAP. You'll find that once you do get used to it you won't be able to sleep without it.

PS: JP is spot on with the Respironics.

http://mseries.respironics.com/

How long did it take you till you started feeling a huge difference, im so patiently waiting for that to happen to me!!! Also did you buy any accesories that helped you out getting used to yours? Today i bought a pad device because the bridge of my nose and forehead are broke out due to my full face mask.

I also have that same machine!!

sure no problem, hopefully one day I will be able to tell you how awesome it but as of now I cannot tell u that haha. U got your sleep study scheduled yet? u mightve posted that but I dont remember

How long did it take you till you started feeling a huge difference, im so patiently waiting for that to happen to me!!! Also did you buy any accesories that helped you out getting used to yours? Today i bought a pad device because the bridge of my nose and forehead are broke out due to my full face mask.

I also have that same machine!!

Once I stopped ripping the mask off in my sleep........and made it through an entire night with it on I noticed an immediate difference. The only additional purchase I've made with mine is a steady supply of distilled water. You'll get really bad mineral deposits if you use tap water. I also clean my mask every other day with this: http://www.aveeno.com/productDetail.do?prodid=1418

Once I stopped ripping the mask off in my sleep........and made it through an entire night with it on I noticed an immediate difference. The only additional purchase I've made with mine is a steady supply of distilled water. You'll get really bad mineral deposits if you use tap water. I also clean my mask every other day with this: http://www.aveeno.com/productDetail.do?prodid=1418

what's a mineral deposit? i've been real lazy wit the distilled water lately. is this somethin that will happen to you or the machine?

what's a mineral deposit? i've been real lazy wit the distilled water lately. is this somethin that will happen to you or the machine?

there are several minerals in tap water.... floride, chlorine, calcium, etc. when the water evaporates, the minerals crystalize.

I don't know if you have everything you need or not, but I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea...have tons of stories if you need any still. Since I started usin my mask, there has been a HUGE difference with attitude, depression, awareness, metal quickness, and overall health. Blood pressure improved as did metabolism.

As for taking the next day off...why? I made it to work just fine the next day. Was funny sleeping with all those wires hooked up to me tho.

Doing a research paper on Sleep Apnea and I just wanted to know if anybody on ES has, or knows someone who has it.

Had a choice between Sleeping Disorders, Serial Killers, or Animals. Since my brother-in law has Sleep Apnea and may athletes suffer from it, I had no choice to do my paper on this.

Any information, stories, and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I am a Polysomnographic Technichian and I can tell you that there are a lot of people out there that have Sleep Apnea.

If you have any questions, feel free to P.M. me.

sure no problem, hopefully one day I will be able to tell you how awesome it but as of now I cannot tell u that haha. U got your sleep study scheduled yet? u mightve posted that but I dont remember

I don't. Gotta get a referral from the doctor first because of insurance. :mad: But I'm gonna try to get that in by months end.

As for taking the next day off...why? I made it to work just fine the next day. Was funny sleeping with all those wires hooked up to me tho.

Sleep deprivation. :D I remember only getting 2 hours of sleep the night of my sleep study. They wouldn't let me leave till I had slept for a few hours without all of the wires/nodes hooked up to me.

Is it really true that sleep apnea can cause weight gain? I know excersise and diet play a huge role , but does sleep apnea affect it? I thought I read that somewhere, not sure if i really did or if im just looking for an excuse :doh:

Sleep Apnea can cause weight gain, depression like symptems, heart problems and many other problems.

I am positive I have it. Gotta get it checked out. Thought about trying the mouth piece thing first and see if it works. Anybody got details about how they test you at the sleep center? Was is tough to get to sleep there?

If the tech knows what they are doing, you shouldn't have a hard time sleeping through the night.

Archived