Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sleep Apnea

CrypticVillain

Doing a research paper on Sleep Apnea and I just wanted to know if anybody on ES has, or knows someone who has it.

Had a choice between Sleeping Disorders, Serial Killers, or Animals. Since my brother-in law has Sleep Apnea and may athletes suffer from it, I had no choice to do my paper on this.

Any information, stories, and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Actually, it is a good topic as more & more people are being diagnosed with it. In my line of work, I meet a lot guys that have been diagnosed. One guy told me that the surgury just flat out didn't work for. I've yet to meet anyone that says that sleeping with the cpap machine is easy to get used to as most adults are side sleepers. The mask causes you to now become a back sleeper & takes forever getting used to.

My dad had it. It was ****ing scary. He would stop breathing for like 30 seconds, then make a sound like a garbage disposal grinding up a cinder block as he finally forced a breath in. He would wake me up from across the house, meanwhile he would continue sleeping.

3 years ago, i finally convinced him to start working out on an eliptical machine. He lost 30 lbs and it cured him.

I've yet to meet anyone that says that sleeping with the cpap machine is easy to get used to as most adults are side sleepers.

Yeah my brother stopped using his too. As far as the surgery goes, my nephew got a surgery for his when he was 3 or 4. He sleeps well now, but I always wondered if you can really be cured completely from it.

My dad had it. It was ****ing scary. He would stop breathing for like 30 seconds, then make a sound like a garbage disposal grinding up a cinder block as he finally forced a breath in. He would wake me up from across the house, meanwhile he would continue sleeping.

3 years ago, i finally convinced him to start working out on an eliptical machine. He lost 30 lbs and it cured him.

Yeah my brother stopped using his too. As far as the surgery goes, my nephew got a surgery for his when he was 3 or 4. He sleeps well now, but I always wondered if you can really be cured completely from it.

Losing weight is probaly the best non medical cure all for it, if there is such a thing for it. But yeah, it's pretty much like PB described.

I have it. Weight gain is one of the main causes. I went to 2 sleep studies that were very uncomfortable. The CPAP machine, well, eff it. For the way I live my life style, well lets just say when the mood strikes, I don't wanna look like somebody from the movie Alien with one of those lil aliens on my face.

What sucks for me is that I've slept with my mouth open my whole life. The machine forces me to sleep with my mouth cloesd . Which I also could never adjust to. I would fall asleep, but would wake up cause the air that was going up my nose would make this wierd noise when I would open my mouth, thus waking me and the wife up.

Was gonna get the surgery but still waiting for insurance approval.

I have done a lot of research and I know its gonna suck. Whats unique about my situation also is that I have a abnormally large tounge thats wide and sometimes it will fall back, and it will partailly block some of my air ways. The doc was talking to about partially shaving some of it off near the back of my mouth. I'm a lil iffy about that procedure.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that I had a deviated septum corrected a while back hoping that would alleviate this problem. It did VERY little. At least I can breathe through out the day now.

Thanks for the insight yah. I been gathering information for like the last two month. Tomorrow is when I sit down and dissect all of it. Pretty sure most of yah know al ot already about the disorder, but if I find something interesting I will be sure to share it with yah. And if anybody else has some more info or stories I would love to hear them.

Actually, it is a good topic as more & more people are being diagnosed with it. In my line of work, I meet a lot guys that have been diagnosed. One guy told me that the surgury just flat out didn't work for. I've yet to meet anyone that says that sleeping with the cpap machine is easy to get used to as most adults are side sleepers. The mask causes you to now become a back sleeper & takes forever getting used to.

allow me to be the first one. you just have to stick to it. i think people make the mistake of thinkin they'll use it and wake up the next day a new person. i used it for a while and never notice a difference. i'm not a back sleeper either, but i stuck to it night after night. then one night i fell asleep before i put it on. the next day i just couldn't stay awake. i kept noddin off at my desk. that's when it hit me that i hadn't done that for a while. now i can really notice a difference on nights when i don't use it. it's like the more i sleep, the more tired i am. don't get me wrong, it is a little annoyin, but if works if your patient with it. at least for me it did.

to the OP, i can tell you a few things off the top of my head. i think the muscles around your airway relax too much and close up when you have sleep apnea. this causes you to take a deep breath to open up the airway. since you constently do this, you may stay asleep, but you never get into REM sleep. what most people don't realize is that it's not how much sleep you get, but more specifically how much REM sleep you get. and that's what causes problems. and i read somewhere that 80% of people have some type of sleepin disorder.

REM sleep is key. Because if you wake during REM sleep, you can't just roll over & re-enter REM sleep. You have to start all over back to the beginning of the sleep cycle. If you ever wake up in the morning & feel exhausted, chances are you kept having your REM sleep disturbed.

Now, as far what can cause an interuption in the REM cycle, well that's a list long enough for a different thread. And to tired to go start that one. :)

I have severe OSA (80 episodes an hour) and it SUCKS!! I have to use a CPAP machine which is a pain in the ass to get use to, clean, and maintain with expensive new masks, filters, etc. When I get sick (nasal symptoms) I have to use a full face mask which sucks more than the nasal masks. However, I couldn't live without it and use it every night to sleep. It’s a pain in the ass to get use to but when you do (1-2 months) and you start getting a full night's sleep (without waking up choking and gagging all the time) you won't ever stop using it.

My problem isn't so much weight gain (even though I gained some weight) but structural problems in my throat (enlarged tonsils, large neck muscles, soft palette, etc). I should get the surgery but worried about the pain, cost, and time off from work I would need to take to recover. If you or anyone you think might have this get tested ASAP. This stuff is no joke and will kill you as sure as ****!

Interesting this is brought up. I was complaining to my doctor about how tired and exhausted I feel every day, regardless of how hard I worked that day. I mentioned how I goto bed around 11 or so, and wake up around 2:15am, 3:45, 5:10, 6:30.. then my real wakeup alarm goes off at 7:15 and i'm just exhausted. I asked him if I could go back on ambiens which I used to take a while back and he said he wanted me to go for a sleep study instead. So I have a consultation on the 18th of this month to get this thing started. This will be interesting to see how this all play's out. :)

I don't think I still have my notes, but here's the story I filed on Chronic Sleep Restriction for NPR. I remember thinking the piece turned out very well at the time. Anywho, the Exec. Director of the American Sleep Apnea Association was a very friendly guy. I'm sure he'd be willing to talk or point you in the right direction.

http://wamu.org/audio/mc/08/05/m1080530-21224.ram

Edward Grandi Exec Dir of American Sleep Apnea Association.

www.sleepapnea.org

Interesting this is brought up. I was complaining to my doctor about how tired and exhausted I feel every day, regardless of how hard I worked that day. I mentioned how I goto bed around 11 or so, and wake up around 2:15am, 3:45, 5:10, 6:30.. then my real wakeup alarm goes off at 7:15 and i'm just exhausted. I asked him if I could go back on ambiens which I used to take a while back and he said he wanted me to go for a sleep study instead. So I have a consultation on the 18th of this month to get this thing started. This will be interesting to see how this all play's out. :)

I'll bet you a million dollars you have sleep apnea. I had the exact same symptoms before I was treated. You know, if you have this and get treatment to stop your apneas it will feel like its not helping at first. It takes awhile for your brain to realize it can relax an not have to keep waking you up so you don't die.

Ewwww, my brother does that! I didn't know what that was. Used to scare the heck out of me. I thought, sometimes, he'd never start breating again. I'd hit him sometimes to get him going again , but that just pissed him off.

Doing a research paper on Sleep Apnea and I just wanted to know if anybody on ES has, or knows someone who has it.

Had a choice between Sleeping Disorders, Serial Killers, or Animals. Since my brother-in law has Sleep Apnea and may athletes suffer from it, I had no choice to do my paper on this.

Any information, stories, and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

My 3 1/2 year old daughter had it. She would snore every night, which was bad. But when she would get sick, it would be really bad. You could hear her stop breathing for 5-8 seconds, then gasp for air. She just had her tonsils and adnoids taken out and her trubinates reduced. She's sleeping much better now, and no snoring - even right after surgery when her nose was still inflamed from the proceedure.

Has anyone ever not been able to breath again from that?

if i understand your question correctly, you mean has anyone ever stopped breathin permanently, or died from it. if so, i think reggie white died from it. and one of the skins lineman who's name i can't spell had almost died from it durin camp a couple of years ago.

Didnt Reggie White die from it?

I know when I sleep that I will stop breathing and wake up choking and trying to get my breath back. It always scares the crap out of me and Im afraid that one day I wont wake up in time.

To be honest, it feels like my throat is stuck closed. like when its really dry and sticky and you cant get any air in to it.

Archived