Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly can Reid it and weep

Philly can Reid it & weep

618-EaglesReid.JPG

Andy Reid

The Eagles have won 34 regular-season games the last three years, the most in the NFL. But they are now vulnerable, providing the Giants the opening to reclaim the NFC East.

It's not just that Philly's been decimated in the offseason with free agents Hugh Douglas, Shawn Barber and Brian Mitchell among the 11 players no longer around. But the psychological scars of losing two straight NFC title games, including the unforgivable meltdown against the Bucs in the final game at the Vet, have eliminated the gap between the Eagles and Giants.

It's a dead heat heading into training camp.

Eagles CB Troy Vincent recognizes the difficulty of trying to get to the championship game three years in a row.

"It's lonely being up on the top," Vincent said. "Everyone is out to get you. They bring you their 'A' game. Every winning team experiences it, whether you are in the Super Bowl, win the Super Bowl or in the championship game. I'm always optimistic, but I understand the challenge. I'm not going to be naive. It's going to be a huge challenge."

Philly coach Andy Reid, who was outcoached by Jon Gruden in the NFC title game, insisted he's not concerned about the disappointment of coming so close to the Super Bowl the last two seasons without getting there.

"We have a great nucleus of quality guys and they are coming back," Reid said. "They have another opportunity and I think they understand that. There are some great examples out there for them. The Buffalo Bills went to four Super Bowls and didn't win one. But they kept working and persevering and got themselves back to that level. It can be done."

The 49ers lost back-to-back NFC title games to the Cowboys, at home in '92 and on the road the next year. Finally, in '94, they beat the Cowboys at home in the championship game and went on to win the Super Bowl.

"It's easy to say we're going to get right back," Vincent said. "No way. Two or three teams in the history of the game have been to three championship games in a row, let alone three Super Bowls."

Nobody expected the Eagles to win in St. Louis two years ago, but they nearly pulled off the upset. The game against the Bucs was different. Philadelphia eliminated Tampa the previous two years without allowing a touchdown. But after Mitchell opened the game with a 70-yard kickoff return to set up a quick touchdown, the Bucs dominated. And now Mitchell is with the Giants.

Donovan McNabb, who rarely says anything controversial, recently expressed disappointment over how the offseason has gone for the Eagles in free agency. Some perceived that as his way of solidifying his role as a team leader.

Supposedly comments he made earlier in the offseason about how management knows what's best for the team, this after the free agent defections, were not well received in the locker room. McNabb signed a 12-year, $115 million deal last season, so it's important for him to speak up.

"He doesn't need to do anything to win our hearts," Vincent said. "We win together, we lose together. Donovan is our heart, our pulse, and we're going to win with him. He doesn't need to win back over our trust and belief in him. We know Donovan is a team player."

But now they have to hold off the Giants.

Said Reid, "They finished so strong and I presume they're going to pick up where they left off and even be better. "

The same may not be true of the Eagles.

True tragedy

Packers WR coach Ray Sherman was the Jets offensive coordinator in 1994. And the news last week that Sherman's 14-year-old son died from a gunshot wound to the head in the family garage - the medical examiner ruled it a suicide; Packers coach Mike Sherman called it accidental - shook up former Jets QB Boomer Esiason.

"That is heartbreaking. Absolutely awful," Esiason said. "Everybody knows Ray Sherman is the nicest guy you're ever going to meet and the least controversial. And in the toughest times he's always going to represent himself and his family in such a good way. Something like this shouldn't happen to someone like him. He is absolutely a gem of a person. When you went to work in the morning, you were happy he was there."

Originally posted by tommy-the-greek

...the unforgivable meltdown against the Bucs in the final game at the Vet,...

..Andy Reid, who was outcoached by Jon Gruden in the NFC title game..

...But after Mitchell opened the game with a 70-yard kickoff return to set up a quick touchdown, the Bucs dominated....

My favorite quotes from that article :D Thanks for the smile this morning. :cheers:

Originally posted by tommy-the-greek

Let them focus on each other and forget about us. We will leapfrog over both of them this year.;):cheers:

=======================

no doubt..we've been the target(some self inflicted) of teams & the nfl for long enough..let someone else be in the lime light.it's easier when everyones not watching/analyzing your every move

Originally posted by Yusuf06

Yet another reason I can't wait for the new season to start. So we don't have to listen to $1 running his pie hole any more.

Now your getting the idea of how I felt about the arrogant Eagle fans on the net the last two years before the Bucs finally spanked them good.

No offense to you since I don't remember you being one of them but that won't stop me giving payback whenever I can. I owe them two years worth.

Oh and if the Eagles lose the opener, look out! ;)

Originally posted by One Dollar

Now your getting the idea of how I felt about the arrogant Eagle fans on the net the last two years before the Bucs finally spanked them good.

No offense to you since I don't remember you being one of them but that won't stop me giving payback whenever I can. I owe them two years worth.

Oh and if the Eagles lose the opener, look out! ;)

In a sick sick way, I really hope you guys do spank them in that 1st game up there. Start their season off right!

Archived