Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wash. Post: Creationist Students Take Field Trip to...Smithsonian

ACW

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/10/AR2009031003690.html?hpid=topnews

I love this quote:

"Why should we be afraid to test our worldview against reality?" asked Bill Jack, a Christian leadership instructor who leads groups across the country for a company called Biblically Correct Tours. "If Christianity is true, it better be true in the natural history museums and in the zoos."
lol.gif

ACW, I honestly dont see why that is funny? personally, I think it's pretty cool that an avowed creationist like the teacher is openning the debate in a calm, and intelligent, open form for his students.

This is a good thing and a positive approach to the debate as a whole.

The quote that's bolded should be the tipoff. They want to test "their worldview" against reality.

Get it?

My uncle from CA is a creationist preacher. He walked into the smithsonian, pointed to the giant Dinasaur bones and said "This is all fake."

I went to a fundamentalist Baptist church when I was a kid and they admitted there were dinosaurs but since the Earth was 5000 years old they claimed that man walked with the dinosaurs.

Gee, this kind of makes me want start a circle jerk thread laughing at people who don't believe in creation.

Newsflash: Not all creationists are loons. Plenty of us believe in creation AND can enjoy a lovely walk through of the Smithsonian...I've done it on multiple occasions.

Gee, this kind of makes me want start a circle jerk thread laughing at people who don't believe in creation.

Newsflash: Not all creationists are loons. Plenty of us believe in creation AND can enjoy a lovely walk through of the Smithsonian...I've done it on multiple occasions.

You're right. The ones who believe in a young earth are.

How so?

Because young earth creationists think that it's a mass conspiracy that scientists have found things from Earth older than 6,000-10,000 years old.

If it were up to me, I would put them in a cage with the 9/11 conspiracy nuts and let them rip each other's throats out. Or atleast, make fun of them at every chance I get.

;)

Though I'm an agnostic, I've never been able to understand why the creationists can't reconcile evolution and the Bible. Even when I believed in God, science wasn't a problem for me. I think most of the problem comes from their view of the infallibility of THEIR interpretation/translation of the Bible not necessarily the faith itself.

Another big problem is that this is a group from Liberty University. Honestly, has anyone ever met a reasonably intelligent Liberty graduate? I've personally worked with three of them and all of them were/are dumb as rocks. A small sample size to be sure, but probably fairly representative of most of their students/grads.

Then you just don't get carbon dating.

My response to you was telling you that you were "wrong" that I didn't get the difference betwenn "creationists" and "young earth creationists."

But if you want to throw in carbon dating into something I wasn't even referring to, that's fine, but I actually DO "get" carbon dating.

* By the way, any "young earth creationists" I happen to know don't think evolution theories and carbon dating are a world conspiracy like some think 9/11 is a government conspiracy. Rather, they think a lot of the methodology is flawed or misinterpretted.

I'm not saying whether or not I hold this strict view of creation, but YEC's I know are certainly not on the same "crazy" plane as the 9/11 conspiracy nuts, lol.

I've never been able to understand why the creationists can't reconcile evolution and the Bible. Even when I believed in God, science wasn't a problem for me.

I agree with you here. I don't really understand it either...I have always been able to reconcile my knowledge of science with my religious views/faith.

Another big problem is that this is a group from Liberty University. Honestly, has anyone ever met a reasonably intelligent Liberty graduate?

Yeah, I don't know much about Liberty University or its students as I haven't had any experience with any of that...I just know it was founded by Jerry Falwell.

Archived