Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Cutler and Broncos further apart after meeting. What could we offer on Draft day?

indatrenches

Hello Family,

Since not having a consistent Qb since Joe, what are you thoughts on possibly trading for a possible elite Qb. i know we shouldnt give up picks since we really are not in a place to give up our only 4 picks.

However i've always know that if a elite QB became or will become available you jump on it.

your thoughts....

He is a franchise QB, and would make our team great for years to come. He is an instant upgrade from Campbell, still in his rookie contract and has an absolute cannon for an arm.

Id be willing to give up our first rounde this year and our second next year for him, and I wouldn't think twice about doing it.

He has health concerns that could cuase life threatening issues.

Is he even a WC style QB?

Please, literally tons of people live a daily life with diabetes without it causing "life threatening issues". My friends son was born with it and he lives a normal, HEALTHY life. Are you even aware of what type of diabetes Cutler has? :doh:

Is Cutler elite?

He has a career record below .500

His record there is due to the Broncos having zero defense. Although he may be an upgrade over Jason Campbell, do we really want another QB re-learning this system when we have two potentially successful QBs on the roster already?

Hello Family,

Since not having a consistent Qb since Joe, what are you thoughts on possibly trading for a possible elite Qb. i know we shouldnt give up picks since we really are not in a place to give up our only 4 picks.

However i've always know that if a elite QB became or will become available you jump on it.

your thoughts....

We offer nothing for him... He is the type of QB that needs to be cottled and held and told everything is going to be alright. He is an above average player who would probably be better than Campbell in the long run, but I wouldn't give up any of our slim draft picks for him when we have other pressing needs.

Interesting sounds like you are making excuses for Cutler but throwing Jason Campbell under a bus..

Cutler has a fantastic surrounding cast in Denver with Brandon Marshell and Eddie Royal, then a bunch of guys in Brandon Stokley and Darrell Jackson who will contribute 300-600 yards per season . It could be argued that Cutler had no running game to turn to but after week 8 of the season neither did Campbell with Portis banged up and stuffed up he strugled to make 249 yards in the last 4 games combined after making nearly 1000 yards in the first half of the season .

We have Moss and Cooley and thats it . ARE spluttered to about 83 yards contribution over the final 4 games of the season (598 over the season) and then we had Betts and Portis as our next most productive pass catchers with about 200 yards a peice ...

And talk about differences in offensive lines . Jay Cutler was sacked 11 times .... 11 times . The last time we had protection like that was back with the hogs in 1991 .

Campbell was sacked 38 times last year . And yet Campbell not Cutler has the beter TD:INT ratio 2.17 compared to 1.38 in 2008 (1.52 - 1.46 carrear) and Cuttler lost more fumbles despite being hit less . And both had compleation ratios in the 62-3% .

Finally coaches . We had Zorn with the best will in the world wouldhave been over his depth ex QB coch running the show for the first time, compared to Mike Shanahan ...

Bringing Cutler in here would be pointless and expensive .. so I kind of expect it to happen, but with the situation with the cap I see no more big moves on the horrizon

Is Cutler elite?

Cutler is the best young QB in the game.

He does not have life threatening health concerns, read a book.

He is certainly a WCO QB...uh, Mike Shanahan?????

He is a franchise QB, and would make our team great for years to come. He is an instant upgrade from Campbell, still in his rookie contract and has an absolute cannon for an arm.

Id be willing to give up our first rounde this year and our second next year for him, and I wouldn't think twice about doing it.

Now I'm a JC guy but ...Cutler is an elite rising star in this league. I agree 100% an instant upgrade....won't get my hopes up but with this FO you never know.

I'm with you 100%!!! This guy is ther real deal! There is no one we could pick this year and next year that could have as big of an impact as him!

When I compare the stats I find the following in Common.

1. Both QBs had around an 84.3 Rating last year

2. Both have played the same number of years.

In terms of Games Played Jason Campbell has played 36 Total games, while cutler has played 37, so pretty close statistically Here are the

Career numbers:

Campbell

Passing Stats

Completions: 675

Attempts: 1130

Percentage: 59.7

Yards: 7242

Average: 6.4

TouchDowns: 35

Longest Pass: 67

Interceptions: 23

Rating: 80.4

Rushing Stats

Attempts: 107

Yards: 550

Average: 5.1

Long: 29

Touchdowns: 2

Fumbles: 6 (1 Lost)

Cutler

Passing Stats

Completions: 762

Attempts: 1220

Percentage: 62.5

Yards: 9024

Average: 7.4

TouchDowns: 54

Longest Pass: 93

Interceptions: 37

Rating: 87.1

Rushing Stats

Attempts: 113

Yards: 423

Average: 3.7

Long: 31

Touchdowns: 3

Fumbles: 16 (5)

Now by Comparison, Cutler had more completions 87 more than Jason Campbell, in 90 more attempts, in terms of total yardage passing though, the difference is only about 110 yards. Comparatively, Cutler is only marginally more efficient at completing the pass, but, is a far higher risk at interceptions (14 more) and fumbles (10 more and 4 more lost) than Jason Campbell. The one Stat that may make you feel Cutler is better is the 31 extra passing touchdowns. Some of that isn't JC's fault as we've been lacking wide receive production in the Red Zone (Cooley aside), and Cutler has had to make up for a Running Back tandem that hasn't produced so well after they gave up Portis.) Jason Campbell Clearly is better at running the ball in terms of yardage, but I look primarily at that efficiency rating. Cutler has a higher Rating only because he has more touchdowns. Cutler throws an INT fore every 1.45 (one and a half) touch downs he throws Which statistically is actually close to what Jason Campbell has done 1.52 per touch down.

Personally I see nothing in these stats that say that Cutler has the leadership or ability to step in and improve what we have over Jason Campbell, sO I don't understand why we'd even contemplate such a trade. Jason has the benefit of a better defense and a solid running game with Portis, something Cutler does not have, so while it may seem Jason's numbers are not quite as good as Cutler's, he has not had to do as much as Cutler has had to do in order to win games.

Personally I'd rather stick with JC over Cutler. I see nothing in these statistics to justify trading any picks for Cutler. Nothing what so ever, and while I know some guys feel JC isn't the guy for us, an analysis of these statistics should prove that Cutler is only perhaps marginally better because of one statistic, total touchdowns, otherwise they are about even. If we can get more production out of Malcom and Devin in the red zone, I think Jason's TD numbers will quickly improve.

Is Cutler elite?

Compared to what we have, he's not only elite, he's World freaking class!

Let's compare the stats:

Both have 3 years playing experience under their belts, with Cutler starting 37 games to Jason's 36.

So in one more game, Cutler has attempted 90 more passes than Jason, for almost a 3% better completion average.

Again, over a mere one more career game, Cutler has thrown 19 more TD's than Jason, although he has 14 more INT's. But then INT's tend to happen when you get an all pro QB who actually get's "IT", put's a team on his OWN back, and finds ways to "get it done."

Jason's taken 15 more sacks than Cutler, in one fewer game, but you'd be hard pressed to make a case for Denver's line being amongst the league elite. Cutler has a lightening quick release that's Marino-esq, and good feet to move around in the pocket. Rather a QB that had that than one we continually make O-Line excuses for. :doh:

Oh, and Cutler has nearly a 7. better QB rating in his career.

And to say he has better weapons to utilize would be pushing it. Yes, he has Marshall and last years rookie sensation Royal; but would you take the Denver TE over Cooley? Or their run game over ours? And we may be a little slower getting started, but the potential of Malcolm Kelly matches anything that Eddie Royal can offer.

With our defense, he'd be WAY in the plus %. Denver has none.

That he's managed admirably without hindrance to his career to date. Although there's a risk with any disease, Type 1 Diabetes is not lethal if treated with the right replacement insulin, which he does on a daily basis. There's even talk of a permanent vaccine some time soon, as test are on-going. To say he's got life threatening issues is a tad ignorant to diabetes to say the least.

Two things here.

What the heck kind of offense do you think Shanahan run in Denver, and as offensive coordinator in San Francisco under Seifert? :doh:

Admittedly the Denver version was run heavy, but Coach Zorn's is far from the typical WCO, leaning a lot on the run game too.

And how long will we have the WCO in DC? Unless Zorn turns things around dramatically, and goes on a deep playoff run, can you really see him lasting into year 3?

As to the OP, and his question, "what could we offer Denver?"; basically, most anything they want. This and next years one's; this years one and Jason, etc, etc. Whatever it takes.

When it comes to a franchise QB, which is something we've not had a sniff of in DC for WAY too long a time now, it's hard to say any price is too much to pay.

QB is the single most important position on ANY team, and bar the odd flurry, we've been mediocre at best at the position for going on two decades now, and all the Albert Haynesworth's in the World aren't going to make that great a difference until we address the QB position going forward.

Sadly, that ol' Redskins "franchise arrogance" comes into play, wherein they've invested that much time and money into Jason, their gona' see this out to the bitter end, more than likely at our expense, in some vein attempt to "save face."

Jay Cutler, another one that "got away", sighs.

Hail.

When I compare the stats I find the following in Common.

Personally I'd rather stick with JC over Cutler. I see nothing in these statistics to justify trading any picks for Cutler. Nothing what so ever, and while I know some guys feel JC isn't the guy for us, an analysis of these statistics should prove that Cutler is only perhaps marginally better because of one statistic, total touchdowns, otherwise they are about even. If we can get more production out of Malcom and Devin in the red zone, I think Jason's TD numbers will quickly improve.

You are only hurting yourself if you want to look at pure stats. Look at the games. Cutler can do things JC can't. JC plays it safe, while Cutler takes more chances. Take the time to watch Cutler play, and I gaurantee that you will not be so concerned with stats.

Archived