Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A great quote for Friday morning

Spaceman Spiff

Trading Draft Picks is what angers me with this Front Office, Not signing FA's.

Its like a cycle though...we trade away draft picks....then have holes to fill....thus dont have draft picks to refill = MUST SIGN FREE AGENTS.

Like I said, its a cycle.

The only way to break out of it is to NOT TRADE AWAY SO MANY DAMM DRAFT PICKS!

But atleast the Skins are doing something about trying to improve...I guess thats the bright side. They could sit on their hands and not try to do anything to improve.

Would we rather they kept the money and stuck with '08 team fully intact (aside of course from the 3 draft picks we have this year which aint gonna make a dent in improving the team overnight)?

You hire a GM. Make a comprehensive 5-10 year plan. Blow up the team. Tell the fan base that we are 're-building'.

If you ask me, we got the pieces. We sign dockery and a value linebacker. Draft Oline and RB, and we could hit the ground running. Remember, we did start the season 6-2 with NO pass rush. Towards the end our oline broke down. Who doesn't think that if we had haynesworth and dockery last year we wouldn't have won at least 3 more games.

The difference is we gave him $41 million guaranteed and $32 million of that $41 is guaranteed in the first year of his deal.

No one else was that dumb.

qft, why is everybody around here so worried about Danny's money?

would you prefer an owner that doesn't do anything but maintain the profitablity of his franchise yet nothing to at least try to make his team better?

Relax spiff, it's not that bad. Dan and Vinny know what they're doing.

By the way, I wanted to share with everyone that I just purchased some club level tickets for 2009. The kind folks at the Redskins ticket office let me know that some had come available! Can you believe it? How nice of them. Anyways, the amenities that come with the tickets are very nice. I shall enjoy them immensely.

Gotta go- I've got a delicious, succulent, perfectly aged and cooked Johnny Rockets cheeseburger waiting on me, I don't want it to get cold. Goes great with their delicious fries and an ice cold Coca Cola product.

lol.gif for a second I thought you were serious
What makes everyone think that we're not so close to a championship?
A decade of fan experience.

but the Cardinals made it by building a team through the draft, only adding the occasional free agent. We're trying to make it by bribing players to come here. Notice the difference?

Yeabuts are out of season. haven't you ever heard the term, "THE FUTURE IS NOW" HTTR!!!!!! Remember the RAMSKINS !!!!

everyone does realize that if campbell fails as a QB, were gonna have to go into QB rebuild mode, and unless we find matt ryan pt 2, were not gonna be competing for some time.

this seems like a signing meant for zorn and vinny to have one last shot at the big dance, which will not happen. if haynesworth gets hurt, sweet jesus are we hosed.

These signings will not come back to **** us in the ass. These are not 30 year old players, they are 28 and 25. they're also not named archuletta and loyd. If you look back to the 2004 free agency class you will find that this team DOES know how to find good, quality free agents.

Sigh.

Arch and Lloyd were Gibbs's only free agent mistakes.

The entire 2004 class was Gibbs.

You have to look at what Snyder does WITHOUT one of the greatest football minds of all time, and that is overspend.

Yeah, it's not like I don't have a reason to be, right? I mean, don't we routinely do this every year?

If we were making deep playoff runs every year, that'd be one thing but thats not the case.

No, we dont. We routinely go after washed-up, past their prime vets or players that we think are better than what they're worth(ARE) Sure it's a lot of money but I think we'll get good results

Hey, we could be $60 mil under the cap like the Bucs are. Would that make you happier?

These are risky moves to be sure, but only time will tell if AH and DH make a significant enough difference to warrant their contracts. More QB pressure usually equates to more turnovers, maybe even points scored defensively. At least that what I read from the experts here on ES.

As for the offense, will the passing game qualify as a legitimate NFL caliber unit or will they continue in mediocrity as they have for the last umpteen years? What improvements will we see on that side of the ball. The truth is for me, I'd rather lose 35 to 38 than 7 to 10.

Did we need D-line help? Yes...

Did they go out and got the best one on the market? Yes...

Do you have to give him millions of dollars? No, and if Danny bumps up ticket and stadium prices it wont be a million added to your seat and hotdog.

So whats the problem? The league will get more and more expensive for players every year.

Its all about the upfront money and that whats separates Danny from other owners.

everyone does realize that if campbell fails as a QB, were gonna have to go into QB rebuild mode, and unless we find matt ryan pt 2, were not gonna be competing for some time.

this seems like a signing meant for zorn and vinny to have one last shot at the big dance, which will not happen. if haynesworth gets hurt, sweet jesus are we hosed.

that's my other big issue with FA. Until we get the QB position settled, FA isn't nearly as impactful.

Think about AH going to a team like the Patriots or Colts- it would be huge. But on a team with a big ? at QB, it's sort of like putting in a pool behind a trailer.

The difference is we gave him $41 million guaranteed and $32 million of that $41 is guaranteed in the first year of his deal.

No one else was that dumb.

Front loading the bonus for once makes him easier to cut near the end of the deal does it not?

Front loading the deal is always more attractive for the player due to the time value of money yadda yadda yadda. If you're going to pay him regardless, why not make that the selling point?

Alvin Walton- We're not giving him 32 million in his first year of the deal. That would literally be IMPOSSIBLE. We were only roughly around 17 - 20 mil under the cap. It's in his first 3 years, and remember there is no cba agreement for next year.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-611/Thoughts-on-Haynesworth--the-new-Redskin.html

That is what Clayton is reporting -

John Clayton says the deal is for seven years and $100 million, with the potential to max out at $115 million. It includes $41 million in guarantees, a stupefying $32 million of that over the first 13 months.

Front loading the bonus for once makes him easier to cut near the end of the deal does it not?

Front loading the deal is always more attractive for the player due to the time value of money yadda yadda yadda. If you're going to pay him regardless, why not make that the selling point?

You don't see potential motivation problems with getting paid almost everything before you see the 2nd year of the contract? Because I do.

to me, we just overpaid to a guy that hasn't finished a full season in the last 6 years (he's averaged 12 starts in the last 6 years)... and the weakest part of our team (besides our owner) is now more handicapped with a large percentage of our salary further invested in an already good defense..

Hey, we could be $60 mil under the cap like the Bucs are. Would that make you happier?

These are risky moves to be sure, but only time will tell if AH and DH make a significant enough difference to warrant their contracts. More QB pressure usually equates to more turnovers, maybe even points scored defensively. At least that what I read from the experts here on ES.

As for the offense, will the passing game qualify as a legitimate NFL caliber unit or will they continue in mediocrity as they have for the last umpteen years? What improvements will we see on that side of the ball. The truth is for me, I'd rather lose 35 to 38 than 7 to 10.

I agree with you on the point about the salary cap. What good does it do to stay under the cap? I applaud Mr. Snyder for having the courage and passion to go out every year and do whatever it takes to make this team better. I would hate to have an owner that is only concerned with making money and not trying to improve the team at all costs.

As for the offense, I'm really optimistic that the passing game is going to improve exponentially this season. First off JC will be more comfortable in the system. He tore it up the first half of the season. NO INT's, people forget how great he played those first 8 games until the line broke down and we started playing a top 10 defense every single week. The recievers, particulary the young duo of Kelly and Thomas should improve a ton. Reciever is the hardest position on offense to come in as a rookie and make a big impact. Very few have done so. Now the big concern, the line. I think it's great that we can now spend the draft and the rest of free agency focused on improving the O-line. I'm hopeful that next season Coach Zorn will have all the tools needed to get us to where we all want to be, THE SUPER BOWL!

Is anybody else worried that Albert Haynesworth=Dana Stubblefield?

Absolutely not. The mistake made with Dana Stubblefield is that he was a player made better by the player beside him in San Fran, Bryant Young. Young was the stud of that line at the time, and Stubblefield benefitted. In this sense, we are getting the Bryant Young of the Titans, not the Dana Stubblefield.

Haynesworth can never live up to the contract he has been given, but will make the players around him better. Unlike Stubblefield.

A team that makes a trade for Peppers will be making the Stubblefield error. Peppers only plays as good as the talent around him.

Archived