Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ravens, Brown (offensive lineman) far apart on deal... (Reskins)

slinky

didnt see this posted.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens226,0,25352.story?track=rss

Jason Brown seems resigned to leaving the Ravens when free agency begins tomorrow.

Talks between Brown and the Ravens have reached a stalemate because the team wants to pay him as a center while the versatile offensive lineman is looking to paid like a guard. The difference could be as much as $2 million per season.

Brown started at center last year after two seasons at left guard.

"Looking at things that have happened in the past with the Ravens, they have been willing to pay and negotiate more for their defensive players," Brown said today. "That's why Baltimore always has a defensive team. If they don't change their course, they may always be a defensive team. It's tough."

The Washington Redskins are believed to be the front-runners for Brown and could sign the former fourth-round pick as soon as free agency begins at midnight tonight. The Miami Dolphins are also expected to make a run at Brown.

To fill the loss of Brown, the Ravens could use Chris Chester at center.

How are we front runners on every single FA. I would rather have Brown over AH anyways though.

:laugh: exactly what I was thinking. This is too much now. I'm just going to log off ES sign on at 9 see if we resigned hall, then sleep and wake up to see who we actually signed. There is no way we are the front runner on every FA. This is too ridiculous now.

I would take him over Dock, thats for sure!

Why not take Dock, Brown, Canty and Hall for all around the same price Haynesworth would cost (these four would probably be slightly more, but not by much IF the rumors of the contract for AH are true, big if)

He's going to the Vikings. Matt Birk isn't under contract and the scuttlebutt is that they will throw a sack of cash at Brown.

Unfortunately, I think you're correct.

Good question skull1669! I was wondering where we are getting the money too. I thought we were right at the cap. I know we restructured some guys but we didnt save that much did we? Tampa Bay and some of those teams have tons of cap space. Well Ill give it to Snyder at least he spends the money to try and make us better.

Why not take Dock, Brown, Canty and Hall for all around the same price Haynesworth would cost (these four would probably be slightly more, but not by much IF the rumors of the contract for AH are true, big if)

Exactly the situation I am talking about. This is exactly why signing Haynesworth doesn't make sense contractually. The above four players fill his contract or slightly more.

Unfortunately, I think you're correct.

I dont think we really need two guards. I'd be happy with Dock and thomas as guards. Brown would be an upgrade at center, but is rabach so bad that we need to replace him?

I agree with you on the premise though. We could upgrade 3 or 4 positions for the price of one haynesworth. I say...canty, hall, dock, and bodden, then release springs. Use our picks on OT, LB, and maybe d-line depth.

I dont think we really need two guards. I'd be happy with Dock and thomas as guards. Brown would be an upgrade at center, but is rabach so bad that we need to replace him?

I agree with you on the premise though. We could upgrade 3 or 4 positions for the price of one haynesworth. I say...canty, hall, dock, and bodden, then release springs. Use our picks on OT, LB, and maybe d-line depth.

Two guards?

I only listed one guard. :)

And yes, Rabach needs to be demoted to a backup role and/or cut. I analyzed a game or two that I had access to film on (not end zone film :(, but film nonetheless) and Rabach continually missed an assignment.

Why not take Dock, Brown, Canty and Hall for all around the same price Haynesworth would cost (these four would probably be slightly more, but not by much IF the rumors of the contract for AH are true, big if).

Because we certainly wil not be able to sign all of them. I don't think you realize how much Brown is going to want and be able to get. Canty will be less, but still hefty. Hall is asking for 8mill a year with 16 guaranteed. Dock i am sure will want to come back, but at a nice price which he CAN get elsewhere.

Because we certainly wil not be able to sign all of them. I don't think you realize how much Brown is going to want and be able to get. Canty will be less, but still hefty. Hall is asking for 8mill a year with 16 guaranteed. Dock i am sure will want to come back, but at a nice price which he CAN get elsewhere.

That's not my point.

Substitute Crowell in there for Brown, then.

Crowell, Hall, Canty, Dockery.

Take almost any four free agents and you have the same price tag as you would pay for Haynesworth (again, assuming those numbers to be an actual offer we are pondering.)

They'd be more expensive in the end, yes. But we'd also be filling four needs rather than one.

Three of them: Crowell, Canty and Dockery would be damned close to the number that Haynesworth would cost.

Archived