Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Bucs part ways with Derrick Brooks and others

Rdskn4Lyf21

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/25/bucs-part-ways-with-derrick-brooks-and-others/

Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2009, 1:16 p.m.

"Despite having $50 million or more in cap space, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have embarked on a youth movement, which apparently has put in jeopardy anyone on the roster older than the head coach.

According to Pewter Report, the Bucs are releasing linebacker Derrick Brooks, receiver Joey Galloway, linebacker Cato June, and running back Warrick Dunn.

Holy crap.

All players affected are over the age of 30. Head coach Raheem Morris is only 31.

More to come"

Wow.....I love Brooks and really haven't seen his play drop off....

London over the Hill? I hope this is sarcasm!

In terms of how long he has left in terms of years? Yes. He's not on his way up the hill, he's heading down it. That said, he's on a damned tall hill.

Honestly though, if he's not too expensive he could fill the void left from Washington's release (assuming he can still play adequately).

Knew it was coming. :)

lol just sayin... we do need to pick up a linebacker via FA this year

And I agree that Derrick would be good, if not great with London for a year or two. But then what?

We draft a new OLB, and potentially a MLB if Blades doesn't pan out? And is Rocky going to still be on the roster?

:)

And I agree that Derrick would be good, if not great with London for a year or two. But then what?

We draft a new OLB, and potentially a MLB if Blades doesn't pan out? And is Rocky going to still be on the roster?

:)

Drafting a LB this year, and probably next too needs to be in our plans. We could still really use a vet to fill the void as they develop though.

The more knowledgeable Bucs fans I know called it after 2005. "This team will fall off the map in about three years" one of them told me. I beleive you are correct that there is only one guy left from the championship team now.

Seeing more about the Bucs than I ever wanted to, I can say that they have been really good at finding young no-name talent to fill holes as the injuries pile up. Now it would seem that the new coach wants to try taking it one step further by eliminating Gruden's old vets. People outside of Tampa have a lot of trouble naming any of their players, especially now and that could be a good thing for them. Can you imagine contending for the division with more than $50mil in cap space?

yea form all the injuries he gets and all those missed plays.. it's just a #

That's non sense. London Fletcher is my favorite Redskin at the moment. One of my favorite of all time, actually.

But linebackers don't play much passed 35 years of age. London's window is closing. Not because of his ability, but because of his body. Just because he's not sitting out and suffering major injuries doesn't mean his body isn't breaking down. When you play football this long, it takes it's toll. Especially when you fly around the field like London does.

Sooner rather than later he's going to decide he doesn't want to take the beating anymore.

It's not that he's not capable.

Archived