Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Updated Cap Space

TE#80

Don't count on it. I've said all off season that they'll keep Springs. I've neither seen nor heard anything credible to suggest otherwise.

If they do keep him I would think they would look at playing Springs more at FS and move Landry to SS where he can get more involved around the football and blitz.

Landry played well at FS last year - teams stayed away from the deep ball because he was back there. However having im 30 yards away from the snap means there are simply too many plays he can not impact on which is a waste of his natural talent IMO.

If they do keep him I would think they would look at playing Springs more at FS and move Landry to SS where he can get more involved around the football and blitz.

Landry played well at FS last year - teams stayed away from the deep ball because he was back there. However having im 30 yards away from the snap means there are simply too many plays he can not impact on which is a waste of his natural talent IMO.

On paper, I love the idea of Springs/Landry at FS/SS. It's how it's handled on the field that's the key, isn't it? :whoknows:

This thread has answered a couple of my cap related questions.

I love Springs but have lost confidence in him being capable of staying healthy. If indeed he does move to safety he would be at risk for more taking more physical shots than at CB. This idea doesn't set well with me.

Am I correct in reading the tables that Springs would be a $2+mil cap hit cut and $8+mil if he stays?

there you go RWJ looks like the Wash Post caught up .. they posted a little thing just now it looks like lol

Been away for awhile. Just read what they had to say. The 15 mil. guaranteed is not much as I expected. I hope we do re-sign Hall and MOST OF ALL cut Springs. Guys, he's in the last year of his contract and can never stay on the field to play his position. Even if they are considering playing him at S he still will find a way to get hurt. I think we will regret keeping him. We need his salary to help at other positions. We need Taylor's salary as well to help at other positions also. Like I said, I hope both are cut. Why is it so hard for VS/DS to see this. Jeez.

I love Springs but have lost confidence in him being capable of staying healthy. If indeed he does move to safety he would be at risk for more taking more physical shots than at CB. This idea doesn't set well with me.

Am I correct in reading the tables that Springs would be a $2+mil cap hit cut and $8+mil if he stays?

Here's the link concerning Spring's numbers if he were cut:

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

Spring's Salary is: $6,000,000

Spring's Bonus is: $2,483,000

I believe he would save us: $3,517,000

The worst case scenerio happening here would be for us to restructure his contract and him staying around for an extra year of two. I hope he's unwilling to do it and is cut. I wouldn't be saying this if he could play and entire season and EARN his paychecks.

Thats the way I read it as well. We save $6M against the cap by cutting Springs this year. This is last year under contract as well.

Re the moving him to safety idea - the way we play our FS way back deep centre he would actually have much less contact than playing close man coverage at CB and having run support responsibilty. You could sub him out for Horton on obvious running downs/

Actually if it was me though I think he is just not worth the $8M salary at this point and I would cut him. Good player but too injury prone for that size of a deal.

Here's the link concerning Spring's numbers if he were cut:

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

Spring's Salary is: $6,000,000

Spring's Bonus is: $2,483,000

I believe he would save us: $3,517,000

The worst case scenerio happening here would be for us to restructure his contract and him staying around for an extra year of two. I hope he's unwilling to do it and is cut. I wouldn't be saying this if he could play and entire season and EARN his paychecks.

Thanks for the info. :cheers:

I wonder how often a player is cut and resigned at a reasonable price after testing FA? With his injury history, I don't think he'd get top dollar.

Thanks to all for answering my Springs cap hit question. There does seem to be slight discrepancy but overall I find it hard to justify his salary based on his health concerns.

Re the moving him to safety idea - the way we play our FS way back deep centre he would actually have much less contact than playing close man coverage at CB and having run support responsibilty. You could sub him out for Horton on obvious running downs/

Actually if it was me though I think he is just not worth the $8M salary at this point and I would cut him. Good player but too injury prone for that size of a deal.

I agree. It is hard enough to justify the salary based on him being full time (minus potential injury issue). I can't see how him at FS on passing downs only could be justified.

I very happy to hear there are continuing talks between the team and D Hall.

Many threads including this one have touched on the possibility of Jansen moving inside to Guard or Center. It seems to make a lot of sense but don't recall reading much from the team on the thought. I do remember him getting looks at center last year in camp but that's it.

I very happy to hear there are continuing talks between the team and D Hall.

Many threads including this one have touched on the possibility of Jansen moving inside to Guard or Center. It seems to make a lot of sense but don't recall reading much from the team on the thought. I do remember him getting looks at center last year in camp but that's it.

Maybe some1 needs to talk to Buges:D

LMB' date=' just curious, what are you starting with over & above the £123m. I assume its more including potential cap credits ? :cheers:

I can see Samuels converting his 5m salary now, saving ~4m as well.

Throw in a couple more restructures, possibly Moss / Landry, & we get to 15m in cap space with Griff, Springs & Taylor still on the books.

We may not get the cull that many expected.[/quote']There are no cap credits this offseason, because of the upcoming uncapped season. Also, although I had read initially that the cap would be set at $123M, I have since read it will be $124M(don't have a link). Also, there is a significant discrepancy between PC's and warpath's #'s as far as Jansen is concerned(about $1.6M). The release/voiding of Washington/Daniels brought our dead cap up to $9.05M, but saved us a total of $6.8M.

Edit: It appears I was wrong about cap credits, which explains the $124M I had read.

We currently have 55 guys under contract for 2009, but only the highest 51 count against the cap. The top 51 currently account for $105.725M + dead cap of $9.05M - cap credits of $1.063M=$113.712M. Subtract that from the $123M salary cap and that leaves us $9.288M under the cap, which is where we currently stand.

as far as i can see we do have a cap credit, i deleted the players other then our cause he is the one that matters for us ..

Pushing cap room from 2008 into 2009

There appear to be 27 teams that used the incentive loophole to push cap room from 2008 into 2009. (Last year, 23 teams used it.) The five teams that apparently did not use it this season were Arizona, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and San Diego.

Here are the total amounts the 27 teams that used it pushed forward, in order of most to least --

Philadelphia -- $18,840,930

San Francisco -- $14,186,958

Miami -- $13.775 million

New Orleans -- $11,697,409

Tampa Bay -- $10,636,595

Chicago -- $9.7 million

Jacksonville -- $8.33 million

Minnesota -- $7,564,584

Green Bay -- $7,278,300

N.Y. Giants -- $7.2 million

Kansas City -- $6,491,666

Dallas -- $5.7 million

Tennessee -- $5 million

Cleveland -- $4.58 million

Denver -- $4,155,496

Buffalo -- $3.9 million

Carolina -- $3.8 million

Seattle -- $3.7 million

New England -- $2,866,666

Indianapolis -- $2.85 million

Oakland -- $2,912,730

Houston -- $2,032,327

N.Y. Jets -- $1.5 million

St. Louis -- $1,402,950

Atlanta -- $1.2 million

Washington -- $1,062,888

Detroit -- $444,000

And here are the players involved and the amounts for each --

Washington -- Tyson Smith $1,062,888

seems we save a million but again i am not saying im a cap guy just putting the info out there

There are no cap credits this offseason' date=' because of the upcoming uncapped season.[/quote']
as far as i can see we do have a cap credit, i deleted the players other then our cause he is the one that matters for us ..Pushing cap room from 2008 into 2009

Now then, do we or don't we :)

Archived