Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone See Any Good News Out There At The Moment?

bulldog

If you had to do it all over again?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to do it all over again?

• Abstinence only! My spouse is the only one I should have slept with.
    • More partners! I left a lot on the table.
    • Less partners! There are a few I should have avoided.
    • Same thing. I wouldn't change a thing.
    • Cake. Fatties don't worry about sex nearly as much.

Personally, I think this was more a case of being up against the cap as opposed to some new stay-the-course strategy. Why else would a team that just went 6-10 not sign anyone???

Cap hell? Nah. Cap heck? Maybe.

I don't believe in that, not with the way we've been able to manipulate the cap on a year to year basis.

the past few years, we haven't been the same FA heaven as previous years.

That's simply because we don't have the cap space. You can't just keep restructuring everyone until they turn 40. The only problem is now it looks like they won't even part with them.

I'd rather go 7-9 or 6-10 with a bunch of young guys learning than a bunch of guys past their primes. I don't think we'll do any better than that this season, hedging more toward 6-10.

I don't believe in that, not with the way we've been able to manipulate the cap on a year to year basis.

We used to "manipulate" the cap in order to create room so that we could go out and sign a bunch of big name free agents. Now we are doing the same "manipulation" just to scrape by.

By the way, what you call manipulation, I call mismanagement.

We used to "manipulate" the cap in order to create room so that we could go out and sign a bunch of big name free agents. Now we are doing the same "manipulation" just to scrape by.

By the way, what you call manipulation, I call mismanagement.

Agreed. All that this cap maneuvering has done is kept this team mediocre with a handful of underperforming vets that are virtually untouchable.

I partially agree and partially disagree.

I mean, what normally happens when teams are big spenders in free agency is that they need to blow the team up every few years in order to get under the cap. Look at what happened to Tenn a few years ago when they had to let go of McNair. Maybe we need that, but I don't think we do.

We've restructured some guys that I wouldn't have (ARE), and some guys whose performance has gotten significantly worse (Jansen), but sometimes thats been what has allowed us to gut certain players from the team without having to do a total rebuild (Arch, Lloyd). But I think that what this does is make very few of the players untouchable. For instance, last year people were saying we were stuck with Lloyd because of his cap hit, but we were able to redo some contracts and get rid of him. I think that if ARE has a HORRIBLE year (20 catches or so) then, we could let him go. Likewise, we could get rid of Jansen in a similar manner.

I think that Portis is untouchable, and Cooley right now, but those guys are the center of this team and we aren't going to be trying to get rid of them any time soon (contrary to some fans beliefs that we should).

I think that Portis is untouchable, and Cooley right now, but those guys are the center of this team and we aren't going to be trying to get rid of them any time soon (contrary to some fans beliefs that we should).

I'd be willing to bet that there were a few people in the FO that wanted to do something with Portis after he called out his coach in a radio interview. But his contract was too restrictive. He is untouchable due to his contract..but I don't think it's due to his performance.

Another good thing is we resigned ARE until the year 2084. He's now uncuttable, and we hopefully can count on his sub 300yds/year to lead us to many, many SB's. His 6.5 yards punt return avg is bonus.

Plus, with all the kickback fees Vinny gets from these restructuring deals, he can afford to get his eyes pushed back into his skull.

Everything is true. The team's FO can't see to far in the future to make good decisions. I knew that the Jason Taylor thing was going to be a mess. I am still pissed we lost that 2nd rounder. We could have used that 2nd rounder to get our DE or OLB, if we got an OT with the first rounder. Now we gotta wait till the third to get anyone.

The coaches were saying that there is talent at the top of the draft and at the bottom, so really it's not like last year were we will trade out of the 1st round. We can trade back and still get a quality DE. But, the OT's will be gone.:logo:

Sure. I think it primarily comes from the DL, which I am sure will be addressed. I think that Blache's scheme was in part of the reason that they could stop the run "when it mattered".

Again, our defense has still be doing a solid job. Its the offense that doesn't generate enough points and stay on the field long enough. They put much more pressure on the defense and don't force teams to throw more.

hope you're right. I think too many folks are fooled by stats. I recall too many 3rd and longs where the opposing team got the first and too many games in which teams marched on long drives at the end of the game to lock things up.

the defense has been a strength of the team....but I'm not so confident that it numbers among the best defenses in the league or is good enough to win championships. it has some obvious weaknesses that can be exploited.

I'm sorry, but Cooley is not athletic enough to matter in the passing game.

That's the most ridiculous statement I've seen all day on ES. That's saying alot during the offseason.

Cooley is one of the best TE's in the game, and with a poor passing attack to boot. Not to mention that he spends half his time blocking because our line can't handle it themselves...

Go read the thread that STBC21 started a few days ago, "What is it that makes Cooley so good". Hopefully that'll change your mind, although I'd think his play alone would take care of that...

Absurd.

Completely agreed.

The only possible explanation that I can have for this is that by athletic he means speed...because Cooley is one of the most athletic TE's in the league.

A receiver with Cooley's skills, athleticism, AND really good speed...is a WR.

hope you're right. I think too many folks are fooled by stats. I recall too many 3rd and longs where the opposing team got the first and too many games in which teams marched on long drives at the end of the game to lock things up.

the defense has been a strength of the team....but I'm not so confident that it numbers among the best defenses in the league or is good enough to win championships. it has some obvious weaknesses that can be exploited.

As do many others. The 'Skins and Zorn have been open about the fact that they need more of a pass rush and pressence in the middle of the DL. I would be shocked if it wasn't addressed. I'm sure Blache to will institute more of an attacking DL then gap assignment than last year.

You're right. I'm thinking 10-6. Caps comparison is apples to oranges.

I don't like making predictions but 10-6 is possible given they address the areas of need (OL, DT, and LB).

Not to mention the Cowboys will probably not get any better. i think the Giants will take a step back with Plax not being there. The Eagles I think WILL be better.

1. We have a TON of needs

2. We have no cap room

3. We have no draft picks

How is this even possible???

No -- we have actually very few needs. We have a young QB who showed immense improvement last season. Our backfield is effectively set. We have a mix of young and vet receivers, big and small. Our d-backfield is deep. Our LB corps is a bit thin, but no big overhaul needed. Really, the only need areas are along the lines and we don't need a ton there. If we can add two pieces to each via draft & FA and potentially a mid-level LB, we're good to go. I'll add punter to the equation, too.

Archived