Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Wade handle both HC and DC duties for the Cowboys?

DWinzit

Today during another blah, blah press conference by Jerry Jones where he spoke of not knowing what they were going to do with TO, the economy, the stadium and how the Reeves debacle wasn't his fault, Jones stated Wade will definitively be the DC.

Can he really handle both duties or do you think there is still a chance Jones brings in another HC?

quote from long article on press conference:

"Also during the news conference, Jones said coach Wade Phillips will be his own defensive coordinator in 2009, replacing Brian Stewart, who was fired."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3913910

OK, I'll bite.

In the season finale against Philly, the Eagles outgained Dallas 303-298. So the defense was put into a lot of difficult situations by the Dallas offense which committed 5 turnovers. I can't really blame the defense entirely for allowing 44 points, but I will agree that they weren't good enough to stop Philly either. Philly's offense seems to match up well against the Dallas D as they always seem to be able to move the ball with their WCO.

Now, having said that, I wish Wade was just the DC. He isn't a good HC because he's not a great leader and doesn't command the respect of his team. A lot of that is him individually, but a lot of it falls on Jerry Jones being the type of owner he is. The Jerry-Wade tandem is simply a bad owner-HC combination.

The Cowboys have only been successful during the Jones era when the HC was the unquestioned leader of the team: Johnson and Parcells (though Parcells never really won anything either).

Hasn't Wade proven that he can't be the HC ONLY, never mind with other responsibilities?

winner winner, chicken dinner! He's a DC. If he was in that role, and that role only, he could be effective. Dallas haters are going to enjoy the next year, I'm afraid....

Both options look terrible to me.
Dallas haters are going to enjoy the next year, I'm afraid....
Now, having said that, I wish Wade was just the DC. He isn't a good HC because he's not a great leader and doesn't command the respect of his team. A lot of that is him individually, but a lot of it falls on Jerry Jones being the type of owner he is. The Jerry-Wade tandem is simply a bad owner-HC combination.
Lots of hard honesty in these quotes. I can't say I feel sorry for you but thanks, Jerry is definitely blowing up your talented team.

Archived