Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: FBO: NFC East questions and answers

bubba9497

I understand your line of thinking DB, but why dole out such money for both when we have gaping holes at LB and DL? IMO, it's a luxury we can ill afford having two premier CB's like Los and Rogers. I think we should roll the dice a bit and go with Hall. I'm fine with Smoot, Springs and adding another CB in the draft or someone like Bodden for one season.
Well first, you're talking about trading a sure thing in Rogers for a complete gamble at a position. That's obviously a risky situation.

Second, you're also talking about keeping guys like Springs, Hall, and possibly Bodden, all free agents, over rewarding your OWN 1ST ROUND PICK FOR HIS PLAYING ABILITY. Which is just a complete BS way to build and run a team. It's not a luxury, it's doing the right thing as an organization. Reward your own talented guys.

Third, Springs and Smoot aren't going to replace Rogers, and Hall is certainly no sure thing as anyone who's actually watched the guy for his career can attest to, in both his playing ability and his headcase issues. So getting rid of Rogers leaves one hole on that side in coverage, and the other side, even with Hall, is a big question mark still.

Getting rid of Rogers, especially in some kind of justification for getting a pick back for Taylor, is so stupid on so many levels of team building, that it actually wouldn't surprise me if the Redskins did it. That's how sad it really is.

Keep Rogers, use the money from springs (cut)to pay for Hall. Keep Smoot at least through 2009. Determine if Tryon has any potential to be a solid nickle DB and bring in a vet that can serve as a nickle or #2 CB if needed (Bodden, Ivy).

That would be about dead on my plan as well. That would give us a starting secondary of Hall, Rogers, Landry and Horton which would be one of the better secondarys in the NFL and is young enough that it will get even better. Trading Rogers makes no sense unless someone offers a blockbuster deal which is not going to happen.

Do the above and focus the draft and free agency on the lines and finding a replacement SLB for Marcus Washington who is almost certainly going to be cut absent a serious pay cut and him playing as a backup and role player.

I also think it would be the dumbest thing in the world to roll the dice and trade a solid top 10 CB for a prospect DL .

I keep hearing the - Oh well I would sacrifice our secondary if we could beef up the lines ... Okay that's fine ... but by saying you are okay trading rogers for a second round pick then what you are saying is I want to sacrifice a strenght on the team for a chance to improve our lines ... which is not okay

Remember when our secondary was all beat up a few years ago and the defense's ranking fell out of the top 10? Trading good players from the secondary would produce the same effect, especially if you expect Springs to take the place of Rogers, since he can't stay healthy anymore. Then you'll end up losing two players from the secondary instead of just the single player you traded.

I also think it would be the dumbest thing in the world to roll the dice and trade a solid top 10 CB for a prospect DL .

I keep hearing the - Oh well I would sacrifice our secondary if we could beef up the lines ... Okay that's fine ... but by saying you are okay trading rogers for a second round pick then what you are saying is I want to sacrifice a strenght on the team for a chance to improve our lines ... which is not okay

yeah plus what's the chance that any 2nd round pick would make an impact on are team any time soon?

That would make too much sense for our front office to follow through with it. It's kind of sad that we already know how poorly our FO will perform.

Sadly trading Rodgers would be the most foolish move so almost everyone expects it. Myself included. It's just that we have been trained to expect it.

If we don't have Hall and Rogers starting come September, then we truly have the worst front office in the history of the world.

Ever.

I'm a FO supporter who belives that injuries and fluke plays have cost us a chance at something great but for once i must admit that the FO would really be stupid not to see that los+hall is way better than hall+springs.

Getting rid of Rogers, especially in some kind of justification for getting a pick back for Taylor, is so stupid on so many levels of team building, that it actually wouldn't surprise me if the Redskins did it. That's how sad it really is.

I like Carlos and always have, but the dude is not irreplaceable by any stretch of the imagination. Even Hall acknowledges the importance of the DL with regard to secondary play. I’ve never heard from any player or analyst that the secondary should take precedence over the front seven – ever. I have only heard the contrary. These guys can only play on an island for so long you know. I would like our DL to not get worn down, get more three and outs, and pressure the QB for a change. Some of its scheme, but most of it is lack of talent along the DL IMO. Our LB situation is also not very good at all.

I’ve seen this movie before and I’m tired of it. If keeping both does not put us in a lurch cap-wise then I’m all for it. If that’s not the case, I don’t mind exploring a trade for draft pick. We need all the picks we can muster. We can get buy with someone opposite of Hall for one season.

Why do the Skins insist on keeping OLD ass players that aren't worth the amount of money they make?

Dump Springs. Yes, he's GOOD. He's elite. I love him but the amount of money he earns compared to how often he's injured and plays just makes him not worth it.

Same for Daniels. Great player in the Skins defensive scheme but OLD and expensive.

Dump him. That creates room to sign BOTH HALL AND ROGERS.

I don't see a reason to cut Rogers unless he's not willing to be in Washington anymore.

Stupid front office - unless they know something we don't (which I agree is possible)

I understand your line of thinking DB, but why dole out such money for both when we have gaping holes at LB and DL? IMO, it's a luxury we can ill afford having two premier CB's like Los and Rogers. I think we should roll the dice a bit and go with Hall. I'm fine with Smoot, Springs and adding another CB in the draft or someone like Bodden for one season.

I would rather lock up the secondary for a few years with proven commodities than taken chances on rookies. Rather take that chance on the front lines were you can get more of packages in and out of the game then the secondary affords. If it comes down to Springs or Rogers, cut Springs and re-sign rogers. Talent should never leave if you can help it.

If we don't have Hall and Rogers starting come September, then we truly have the worst front office in the history of the world.

Ever.

I'm with you man...seems so obvious to me. Trading Los for a second round pick is dumb.

Trading Hall for a 2nd round pick does not make sense. He has already proven he is not a bust unlike the other CBs taken around him. How does that make him worth a full round less than where he was picked? He is entering his prime now, and we want to trade him for the next Fred Davis?:doh:

The sub-title says it all:

why is Rogers in Zorn's or Blache's doghouse?

Yes, he cannot catch a ball (for interceptions); if he could catch he would be a WR. But he is a damn good cover corner.

Springs is running on fumes; Smoot is aggressive as a run support corner, but is beaten on passing plays too easily these days. There is no one else on the roster who can play corner.

So, what is the problem? I would like to keep him. I would really like to keep him and Hall, if possible. But there is a problem here. Why? What triggered this problem, and the late season benching?

IF (big If, I know) you knew that he was so unhappy that he would leave as a FA after 2009, what would you do, FO gurus? Trade him now when he has some value, keep him only for 2009 and lose him to FA, or keep him and tag him (CAP ouch!!) after 2009?

HTTR!

Definitely trade him now out of those three options. We are nowhere near being a contender next year so we might as well get some potential long-term value out of it. Tagging him could prove to be difficult next offseason depending on how our other starters look.

Cool with trading Los for a 2nd rounder and hopefully VC can trade down for more. If Vinny can somehow orchestrate deals netting us three or possibly four first day picks - I would be stoked.

Agreed. I like Carlos, but I'm not certain, if you looked at his pre-injury career, you'd see very impressive numbers either. He didn't appear to me to be "shut down" until this year and even then only for the first 2/3 of the season. I still think he can be that guy, but if his attitude and/or contract demands next year place his re-signing in jeopardy, trade him and get a 2nd rounder.

Man, after looking at those numbers, Smoot was a lot more inconsistent than I thought. I read about people being really down on Smoot's play, but I don't always see the negativity in the way he plays. Stats are stats and typically don't lie.

While football doesn't really overvalue stats like baseball. 38% is pretty bad.

To be truthful, I love the way Smoot plays! Maybe I should take off my rose tinted glasses though.

Archived