Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interview with Andre Carter (about new contract)

themurf

carter-dallas.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Although it’s the offseason, this is typically the time of year when the Washington Redskins make their biggest headlines.

With a creative and aggressive front office, the ‘Skins over the years have consistently managed to restructure deals with core players to free up salary cap space to be ready if/when the right free agent comes along.

With that in mind, it shouldn’t come as a surprise when the Washington Post announced last night that the Redskins had finalized new contracts with defensive end Andre Carter and wide receiver Antwaan Randle El. At this point it’s barely newsworthy (after all, these same two players have been down this very road before). Either way, we used this as an excuse to contact Carter and see how he’s enjoying his offseason.

Congratulations on the new contract. How did it come about? Did the team contact you and ask you to restructure your deal?

“That’s basically what it was,” Carter said. “It was more of a restructuring than a new deal. Honestly, that’s just how it is in this business. We did it to make more room for guys to come in during free agency or the draft. It was a decision to help the team because you never know in this business. I’m about to be 30 years old and anything can happen, so I’m blessed to be able to do this deal, and honestly, my perspective is to just take it year by year. I’m definitely back for the 2009 season and we’ll just kind of go on from there.”

Does this new deal really change anything for you? The breakdown in the Post seemed to indicate you’re getting the same basic amount of money, it’s just shifted into a different category for salary cap purposes.

“Yeah, that’s basically what it is,” he said. “With this, there’s just more up front and hey, any man would take it. Like I said, I consider it more of a blessing than anything. It just means I’ve got less to worry about, like whether or not I’m going to have a spot on the team. So I’m happy that Vinny Cerrato and Eric Shaffer, who is in charge of the contracts, got with my agent to say, ‘This is what we want to do.’”

Don’t you do this restructuring every year? Do you basically have a reminder on your calendar that says today is the day to restructure my contract?

“I think so, I think that’s how it is,” Carter said. “I’m not sure about other players because I haven’t really read anything, but that seems to be the case with me. I’m not really trippin’ about it, it’s just the nature of the business.”

So where you at these days?

“Yeah, I’m back in California,” he said. “I’m just enjoying the Bay area - seeing a lot of friends, doing a lot of stuff with our church and I’ll start doing my running and conditioning soon. I usually like to take a good month and a half off.”

Have you done any kind of vacationing?

“Me and my wife just went to Vegas, man,” Carter said. “We went for a few days on a little adult vacation. Other than that, we’ve got two kids, so we can only do so much.”

Did you win while you were in Vegas?

“Actually I’m not a gambling man, believe it or not,” he said. “I just rolled there to enjoy the festivities. We got some friends out there and I tried to get with Renaldo Wynn, he has a house out there, but we couldn’t touch base. No luck, but hopefully next time.”

You mentioned your offseason program. What kind of workouts do you do to get yourself ready for the first day of camp?

“Actually, I’m one of those guys that will do mixed martial arts,” Carter said. “It’s a combination of Muay Thai, kickboxing and boxing itself to work on my hand-eye coordination. It’s one of those workouts that’s really challenging because you think you’re conditioned, but this is a whole different level. You’re just moving nonstop, at a rapid pace, and moving different body parts.

Click here for the full article including Carter talking about keeping in touch with teammates during the offseason, playing alongside Jason Taylor and whether he thinks this will be another busy offseason at Redskins Park.

Now earn your check!! I think that this restructuring process can be a good and bad thing. Players in the last year of their contracts play at an all world level a lot of the times because they are trying to get paid. Since the Skins pay a good amount of money upfront where does the motivation come from. Seems like he is content with the way he's been playing. If you are making as much money as Carter, you should be playing at a much higher level. Just my opinion.

Good Job Murf like always.

I have to say though, why is it that an idiot like JLC, and even some on this board questioned the commitment of Devin Thomas when he said he was going to get away for awhile but it's no big deal for Carter. Not like Carter performed spectacularly last year.

FTR, I don't think either is a big deal.

Good Job Murf like always.

I have to say though, why is it that an idiot like JLC, and even some on this board questioned the commitment of Devin Thomas when he said he was going to get away for awhile but it's no big deal for Carter. Not like Carter performed spectacularly last year.

FTR, I don't think either is a big deal.

Ummm What?????

You mentioned your offseason program. What kind of workouts do you do to get yourself ready for the first day of camp?

“Actually, I’m one of those guys that will do mixed martial arts,” Carter said. “It’s a combination of Muay Thai, kickboxing and boxing itself to work on my hand-eye coordination.

Muay Thai is ****ing viscious! Elbows and knees to the face! :cheers:

I can't understand why we don't get more free agents to come here. You get PAID to do nothing, then when you actually do NOTHING, you get paid more! What a concept!!

"Creative" and "Aggressive" front office..... more like "inept" and "clueless".

Well put.... I use to give the front office the benefit of doubt but can't any longer. Clueless move.

Archived