Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best DB ever?

brandies

couldn't give up the polls eh?

Its easy...Darrell Green might be the greatest Redskins EVER...let alone just DB for this Franchise. His contributions off the field to the Greater DC Area are almost as huge as the 2 Superbowl Rings he's got and all the records that most likely will never be broken.

This will be the 1st season that I'll have a clear memory of without Darrell Green. I was in 1st grade when we drafted him and 26 when he retired.

Amazing.

I took the advise of "inmate running the asylum" and "Art" and will post polls maybe once a week during the off season. I don't think this one is open and closed though. It is sort of the Hank Aaron duration issue versus, the Babe Ruth power numbers issue.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

Code. Who?

I don't remember a Deion Sanders playing for the Washington Redskins! I know he was a Cowboy, but a Redskin?

:laugh:

My mistake, I fixed it... I didn't realize it was best Skins DB. Deion sucked for the Skins.

Hmmm Old school and just tough guy mentality can lead to a vote for Houston or certainly other when voting for Ken Fisher, but gotta go with my man D.G. As for worst. Any one of the safties, (like Jordan), who were members of the Pearl Harbor Crew. :silly: Gads. Jordan could go from 3rd to 1st in pursuit as quick as anyone. :D

:cheers:

There are some very fine DBs on that list. Houston gave me a bit of a tug, but in the end its DG no question.

I think anybody voting for Champ because of the outstanding service he's given the last few years doesn't remember how Darrell played his first 10 or 15 years. If Champ has another 5 year at a high level he'll get serious consideration. But so far DG was more consistently excellent.

My vote for worst might go to Barry Will-be-burned.

Darrell for sure...... Kenny Houston was special as well( I have several of his cards. ........Can't believe little Pat Fisher was left off that list....he was way better than Bass....and no Brig Owens? he wasn't too bad either.

Due to a technical gliche I still can't vote in polls. But I can give an opinion.

First, although technically all are DB's, there is clearly a difference between cornerback and saftey. They should not be lumped together. But it's not my poll.

Ken Houston was one of the best safeties of all time. Absolutely the best we ever had. Darrell was one of the best corners we ever had. I don't think either could play the other's position as well as their own. (Darrell would've brought him down, but I doubt he could have stood Walt Garrison up and stopped him at the one foot line)That's why I don't thinks it's fair to have to choose between the two.

Second, the era in which one plays makes a big difference at each position. It is especially true at CB. It is a shame the NFL has changed so many rules to favor the offense. (while I disagree I understand why). True bump and run coverage has long been gone. Pat Fischer played it as good as it gets. He was one of the toughest little SOB's to ever strap on a helmet. Like Darrell he played against bigger men every week. Like Darrell he was equal to the task. Like Darrell he was one of the best tacklers on the team. (His battles against Harold Carmichael were a thing of beauty. He didn't always win, but he never quit. And Harold had great respect for him) And like Darrell he was a little guy with the heart of a lion. He didn't have the speed to be the same kind of force in Darrell's era. But I'm not certain Darrell could have withstood the pounding of Pat's era.(I wouldn't bet against it either)

All that being said, if I could only pick one, like everyone else I would have to pick Darrell.

"His body is small. But his heart is big. From now on, he shall be called,

Little Big Man"

- from the movie- Little Big Man

I think you have to separate corner from safety as well.

Houston was on the league's all century team.

I think he's getting the "old timer" shaft. Many of the younger fans don't even remember his play, or Pat fischers play as they've never seen them except for a highlite here or there.....

Not taking anything away from Darrell. I probably would vote for Darrell as well. But you have to at least look at what Fischer, Houston and Baugh accomplished.

Baugh might not be the best ever DB. But he was a triple threat; QB, B, & Punter. So he could be considered the best ever player.

Archived