Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun:No outside drinks will be allowed at Preakness infield

Dictator

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/preakness/bal-preakness0205,0,7703743.story

As a Preakness tradition, it may not rank with the singing of " Maryland My Maryland" but the longstanding practice of infield spectators bringing their own beer into the second jewel of racing's Triple Crown will be no more, the Maryland Jockey Club announced today.

In fact, no beverages of any kind -- including soft drinks and water -- will be permitted to be brought into the infield for the 134th running of the Preakness on May 16.

The Jockey Club's press announcement said:

"No beverage of any kind (cans or bottles), including alcohol, soft drinks and water will be allowed to be brought into the public infield.

"Sixteen ounce beers will be sold for $3.50." </I>

Spectators will be permitted to bring food into the infield.

Softening the blow was the announcement that there will be several added entertainment elements, including a pro women's beach volleyball tournament and a concert featuring Rock 'n Roll Hall of Famer ZZ Top, contemporary rockers Buckcherry and a local group yet to be announced.

Does Dan Snyder own the Preakness now? ;)

Today is truly a sad day in American sports history.

I like to count myself among the fortunate ones who were able to experience the Preakness over the last five years in its full drunken debauchery. The news is not surprising (especially to those who have seen the fights and beer throwing get worse over the past 2 years) but I will still shed a tear for the death knell of the greatest sporting tradition in the great State of Maryland. I only wish I could have attended during the true "glory days" of the 80's and 90's.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/preakness/bal-preakness0205,0,7703743.story

:ravensuck

So what? Now you gotta pay for beer, which is fairly cheap @ 3.50/16oz, I might add.

Maybe it'll prevent some jerk offs from running out onto the track trying to punch horses.

SO WHAT!?!?! The BYOB policy at Pimlico was legendary. $3.50 is cheap compared to FedEx Field, but still doesn't compare to paying $10.00 for an entire 30 pack of Natty that you could bring in yourself and keep icy cold in a cooler all day.

EDIT: That works out to paying 44 cents for a 16oz. beer, much better than $3.50

Sad day indeed.

Time to get the Reef FlipFlask sandals out...

There mere thought of drinking something from the shoes I wear to Preakness makes me sick. As soon as you set foot inside, you are stepping in a cesspool of mud, piss, vomit, blood, and God knows what else.

So what? Now you gotta pay for beer, which is fairly cheap @ 3.50/16oz, I might add.

Maybe it'll prevent some jerk offs from running out onto the track trying to punch horses.

Have you even attended a Preakness? I doubt it. The Preakness is a longstanding tradition with a lot of people I know and having the freedom to BYOB is a major part of that tradition. Yeah, $3.50 is not a lot for a beer, but in this economy it might be too much for some to handle.

Have you even attended a Preakness? I doubt it. The Preakness is a longstanding tradition with a lot of people I know and having the freedom to BYOB is a major part of that tradition. Yeah, $3.50 is not a lot for a beer, but in this economy it might be too much for some to handle.

Seriously, $80 can be better spent at the window.

Archived