Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Ex-player seeking to bring CFL back to U.S.

bubba9497

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/02/ex-player-seeki.html

Click link for entire article

Ex-player seeking to bring CFL back to U.S.

Oronde Gadsden wants to bring the CFL back to the United States.

The former Dolphins wide receiver said he wants to seize upon the vacuum left by the AFL's hiatus and bring a team from the Canadian league into the Detroit or Rochester, N.Y.

"Those are two great cities that would support the game and would really fill a niche if we can get agreements from the league, then one of the cities," Gadsden told RotoExperts.com. "With the AFL not active, there are some great players who deserve to be seen, and the time is right for CFL expansion back into the U.S. The league is more stable than ever."

The CFL had a handful of teams in cities such as Baltimore, Las Vegas and Memphis in the 1990s, but they only lasted a few years.

Gadsden said the lack of a developmental league, with the AFL having canceled its upcoming season and NFL Europe folded, is hurting players who need an extra chance to make it in pro football. "With (NFL Europe) gone too, you have two leagues not operating," Gadsden said, "and there are a lot of players chasing the dream. I know, because I came up through the AFL and ended up in the NFL.”

The CFL has had a rocky relationship with the NFL in recent years. The NFL's Bills are entering the second year of a five-year deal to play eight games in Toronto with the goal of making the franchise a regional team.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday he's willing to work with the CFL and said officials from that league were hesitant to a relationship with the NFL.

"We would love to see our CFL partners be successful," Goodell said, "and we'll continue to communicate with them."

More power to them. Doubt it'll work out, though. Most people I've ever known have had the same two reactions when exposed to the CFL: confusion followed closely by disdain. It's just different enough to piss people off. I kinda like it myself. I watched the few Grey Cup games they used to show when Flutie was taking names up there.

We need spring football in the United States. It is the real national sport and I think a "minor league" that played from mid-feb for maybe 10 weeks and then some playoffs would be great. You'd have football until May-June and give those players a few weeks to rest before joining an NFL camp.

We need spring football in the United States. It is the real national sport and I think a "minor league" that played from mid-feb for maybe 10 weeks and then some playoffs would be great. You'd have football until May-June and give those players a few weeks to rest before joining an NFL camp.

thats what they were supposed to be doing with that AAFL or whatever that was supposed to take place during the spring on college campuses. i thought they had a draft for the 6 or 8 teams already in it. but then i never heard anything after that.

The NFL just really needs a minor league, period. Those late round draft picks that could make it with a little more seasoning that won't get a chance would be perfect. I'd love the CFL to take that shot. It's a little different, but the dynamics are close enough where they could learn the trade and improve enough where maybe they could land a decent NFL contract. Plus for the CFL, they might get some of the NFL's high picks as well. Imagine a Matt Leinert or a Vince Young getting some of their mechanics fixed while playing in front of thousands instead of hundreds.

Plus for the CFL, they might get some of the NFL's high picks as well. Imagine a Matt Leinert or a Vince Young getting some of their mechanics fixed while playing in front of thousands instead of hundreds.

I can't see it happening this way. Major NFL picks get big time money to sign. an NFL team isn't going to force a player with a large bonus owed them to take any snaps in a league that doesn't count.

Also, a major skill player doesn't want to run the risk of looking bad against supposedly inferior competition, so why would they even take the chance. In theory I understand the thought process, but these players are always playing for their next contract. That's the part that gets me thinking it won't work for big name guys. Guys like K. Golston and Montgomery would be the type of players you might see in the experiment. players that have a shot at being an absolute beast in an inferior league while showcasing their skills for some NFL scouts.

this guy needs to take his head out of his A** before someone decides to interview him. This guy obviously knows nothing about the CFL how it works or their relationship with the NFL. I would be shocked if this guy even talked to anyone in the CFL regarding this, because the resounding answer would be NO.

first off the CFL will NEVER go back to the US, it was a disaster last time with the exception of Baltimore. One big problem is that CFL teams play in 20-40,000 seat arena's, and most US football stadiums that could hold a professional game are much larger than that. They probably won't sell them out, leaving 20,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium, which ruins the atmosphere. Apparently they tried with Las Vegas to put it into a smaller stadium, but the fans didn't like paying money to see pro's paly in what they would call an amaturish stadium.

Another big hurdle is the import rule. CFL teams must have a certian % of Canadian BORN players, not just Canadian citizens and a certian % of your Canadians MUST BE STARTERS. So for this guy to think that 2 CFL teams in the US will employ 100-120 US football players is a pipe dream.

The CFL & NFL had a great agreement a few years ago invloving player movement. The CFL was tired of having a player under contract, but as soon as he got an invite from an NFL team, he could try out, get cut and come back the the CFl as a free agent. Some guys took advantage fo the system and got try outs just to renegotiate their contracts. The agreement was that a CFL player under contract could go and try out for an NFL team, but the remaining time on the CFL contract would transfer back to the original CFL team which could either pay the contract or buy it out at that point. Godell has proven that he gives less than 2 s***'s about the CFL and the agreement has expired with no talks to revive it.

the CFL is also pissed at the NFL for allowing the Bills to play games in Toronto without even consulting them.

And the main reason this will never happen is so obvious when you look at it from the CFL's standpoint. Why would any pro sports league want to be a feeder for another league? The CFL would then become a leauge where guys play here for 2 to 3 years and if they prove to be any good, they jet for the NFL. Think about that for a second. How would you like it if next year was Laron Landry's last as a Redskin because since he is playing so well, he is off to play with the Tokyo Godzilla's fo the World Football League. How can you market star players to your fans if they get up and leave all the time?

Rochester, eh?

Well, we have a professional soccer stadium that the Rochester Rhinos play in (Used to be called the A-League, no idea what it's called now) and that stadium would be perfect for a football stadium of that magnitude. Not big at all, but not amateurish either.

But, we have an arena league team, the Raiders, who just about win the league championship for the league they're in every season. They play in the Blue Cross Arena, the same place as the Amerks, RazorSharks and Knighthawks. They're extremely good, and no one goes to see them, either. If it were American Football rules, I think it would take off here. But CFL? Probably not.

I couldn't agree more. This would also allow more players to develop, especially late round picks who didn't crack Pro Rosters after TC. You could gather a Practice Squad during the Regular Season (where players can't be picked off from other teams) that practice with the team, and can get called up when needed, but play their own game for a little bit during Marchish.

Rochester, eh?

Well, we have a professional soccer stadium that the Rochester Rhinos play in (Used to be called the A-League, no idea what it's called now) and that stadium would be perfect for a football stadium of that magnitude. Not big at all, but not amateurish either.

But, we have an arena league team, the Raiders, who just about win the league championship for the league they're in every season. They play in the Blue Cross Arena, the same place as the Amerks, RazorSharks and Knighthawks. They're extremely good, and no one goes to see them, either. If it were American Football rules, I think it would take off here. But CFL? Probably not.

My thoughts exactly. and how would the CFL as a farm system work for say, running backs or to determine run blocking ability? the CFl is a passing game, a guy who gets over 50 yards rushing is having a big game. What about judging a LB's range? with 12 men on the field, you can essentially use a 4-4 defense (as oppose to 4-3) and the gap assignments are not the same for the LB's since they have an extra guy helping them.

In order for the CFL to work as a farm system, it would have to adopt the same rules as the NFL, which if the CFL even ever wanted to consider changing their rules that drastically, it would have been done already. The CFL and it's fan like that the game is uniquely Canadian and would not want to see an Americanization of their game.

I really can not beleive how dumb this guy is and how little research USAToday put into this articel before publishing it. Had anyone actaully made a call to the CFl offices, the idea would have been shot down about 1/2 a second after someone made their pitch.

Another big hurdle is the import rule. CFL teams must have a certian % of Canadian BORN players, not just Canadian citizens and a certian % of your Canadians MUST BE STARTERS. So for this guy to think that 2 CFL teams in the US will employ 100-120 US football players is a pipe dream.

That rule was lifted for the American based teams while in the CFL. So I am sure Mr. Gadsden would push for that again.

That rule was lifted for the American based teams while in the CFL. So I am sure Mr. Gadsden would push for that again.

he probably would, but this is putting the cart well before the horse. I bet that this USAToday article is the first time anyone in the CFL offices have even heard of Mr. Gadsden.

Everyone thinks this is a great idea since it will help the NFL with one of its problems, mainly no farm system, but how would this benefit the CFL? I don't think anyone can make an argument to support that and in fact I can think of at least 3 arguments as to how it would hurt the CFL.

The Skins wouldn't become a minor league team.

Buffalo, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Arizona, Minnesota, New Orleans, Oakland and Detroit would be my candidates for minor league status.

And because they're you're candidates, they are the leagues as well?

Doubtful. How would you feel to be a team on that list and have your team become a minor league franchise?

That's ridiculous.

If the Redskins became one, we'd flip, but it's okay for the Raiders to become one?

And because they're you're candidates, they are the leagues as well?

Doubtful. How would you feel to be a team on that list and have your team become a minor league franchise?

That's ridiculous.

If the Redskins became one, we'd flip, but it's okay for the Raiders to become one?

Those are probably the most weakest teams financially. If the NFL had no salary cap, those teams probably would only spend they bare minimum.

Archived