Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does this Arizona Cardinals of 2008-9 Make you hopefull for the skins?

End2round2sanders

For the past few seasons experts had been picking Arizona as their surprise team only to follow it up with them being their most disappointing team by seasons end with all their talent and weak division they couldn't get it done, couldn't win the division couldn't make the playoffs. Then this season happens. Everything comes together and the result is almost a super bowl title..

Course you could make this argument for a team every season that comes outta the shadows and into the limelight in one season. We've played this cardinals team 3 of the past 4 seasons won all three of them..

A general consensus when you compare us to them position wise. Ok maybe not general just my opinion.

QB: Cardinals

RB: skins

WR: Cardinals

TE: SKins

Oline:Push advantage Cards, maybe, cause they can pass protect better, but we're the better running team so that depends on where you place importance.

Dline: cards- course that depends on how you look at it again.. Cards line can get sacks were the better run stopping Dline.

Linebackers: skins

secondary: Push Yea they have the pro bowler back there in Wilson but again we allowed fewer passing yards while they got more ints.

Does this Cardinals team give you hope that even as dire as our situation may look, and I may be using dire loosely here, do you think we can come out of the woodwork and put on a run equivalent to the cardinals next year. Or are we still too much of a work in progress. Still too many holes to fill while the cardinals were just underachieving for the past few years..

My opinion.. addressing the oline Dline and getting consistent QB play is the only thing that keeps us from being a cardinals type story.. If you even wanna call it that..

you have to assign value to the positions you are giving the advantages to ... their advantages at QB and WR can completely obliterate our advantage at RB, at least IMO.

The Cards running game compliments their entire offense ... our running game is our entire offense, you contain that and we are pretty much held in check.

The Cards offense can blow wide open at any time, that is a dangerous thing. We are only good at time of possession IF we can run effectively. We've shown we struggle big time in the red zone, the Cards get more dangerous the closer they get to the end zone.

So to answer your question, NO ... it makes me more pessimistic. Maybe I am finally realizing though that I cannot have any expectations whatsoever, if I ever want to truly enjpy this game, or this team.

you have to assign value to the positions you are giving the advantages to ... Their advantages at qb and wr can completely obliterate our advantage at rb, at least imo.

The cards running game compliments their entire offense ... Our running game is our entire offense, you contain that and we are pretty much held in check.

The cards offense can blow wide open at any time, that is a dangerous thing. We are only good at time of possession if we can run effectively. We've shown we struggle big time in the red zone, the cards get more dangerous the closer they get to the end zone.

So to answer your question, no ... It makes me more pessimistic. Maybe i am finally realizing though that i cannot have any expectations whatsoever, if i ever want to truly enjpy this game, or this team.

qft

No, it just adds one more NFC team that has been to the SB more recently than us.

Who is left?

Lions

Vikings

Saints

Really? Man that is crazy.

The fact that we beat the Cardinals proves we can hang with the best and beat them. The Redskins problem is that they can not stay consistent. I am optimistic about this year, but the reason is because I know if we suck that we just get to start over again. :doh:

It actually makes me optimistic. I honestly believe the jury is still out on our front office. While I'm not sold on the latest incarnation of "Snyderatto", I'm am fully willing to give them another year or two to amass a body of work whereby we can intelligently judge them. Seriously, Vinny has been the team scapegoat & whipping boy for years, but this was the very first year where he was legitimately given the final authority. Give him AT LEAST another year to see how this pans out, though I suspect it will take until our 3rd year with him at the helm for us to REALLY know....

However, the performance of our team as it stands right now rests on the shoulders of Jason Campbell. Am I confident in him? No. However the potential is there! Look at how Kurt Warner went from being a QB no one respected anymore to become one of the hottest triggerman in the league! He has been OUTSTANDING this year! Look at the way Big Ben has matured, he was doing the kinds of things in last nights game that Campbell should be able to do, as he has similar physical tools.

My take on Campbell is that he thinks too much. A big part of this is due to him not spending any more than 2 years in any one offensive system. While being a quarterback is being a quarterback, the constantly revolving door of terminology and offensive philosophy has definitely played a major part in his tendency to hesitate.

So, yes, I do have hope. This Super Bowl shows that a drastic turnaround *is* possible. I don't believe we'll see the same kind of fast turnaround that we witnessed the Cardinals pull off, but I definitely think its possible for the 'Skins to right the ship.

Ill just try to add a little here.

RB: skins - Well, Portis is better than any of their backs. But, their running back combo is probly better than ours. They use all 3 of their backs in pretty good ways. None of them have great stats but they come out of the backfield well, good in the RZ, dont fumble, get in the passing game prettty well. So as a whole, their run game is not as good, but doesnt need to be because it compliments their passing game. Also keep in mind, we had 12 TDs from the running game, they had 13.

WR: Cardinals - I wont even comment here.

TE: SKins - I agree, but their TEs played real strong down the stretch.

Defense: This is more of a general comment.

Skins: 18 takeaways, 13 INTs and 5 fumbles with 0 defensive touchdowns. 2 of those were DeAngelo Hall making great solo plays. Really, without the midseason addition of Hall, we had more like 16 takeaways. We had 24 sacks.

Cards: 30 takeaways, 13 INTs and 17 fumbles with 3 Def TDs. They had almost double the takeaways. They had 31 sacks. Im willing to bet they also actually got pressure on opposing qbs unlike our guys (i know they were giving it their all, but they just couldnt get it done)

I love our stout defense, but if we could get some pressure and force some more turnovers, those tight games like the 19-17 loss to the Rams and the 14-10 loss to Dallas or even the 27-24 loss to SF could come out different. The total loss margin of those games is 9. Just 9 points. Im not garunteeing wins in those games but thats a 9 point difference from 8-8 and watching the playoffs and 11-5 and maybe a home playoff game.

Linebackers: skins - I dont know much about their LBs but outside of Fletcher, who consistently brings it back there? Washington is just not the player he was even a year ago. McIntosh had a great start to the season but even coaching saw his play dip at the end of the year. Are our LBs better than theirs?

No. The cardinals have much better receivers and a real quarterback. They also have a young defensive backfield and some playmakers on the d line. They also have a pretty creative coach.

Our receivers are too small, our quarterback is terrible, we have an old, and ineffective d-line and our #1 cornerback is old and injury prone.

So watching the cards does not make me hopeful because their team was built the right way and they are not similar to our team at all.

The skins don't have any play makers on offense. Moss and Portis are Capable of big plays but rarely make them where ast he Cardinals have Fitz and Boldin and consistently produce. If the coverage is rolled to Moss he's is shut down and makes 0 catches. Then the defense tries to stop the run against the skins and its game over. The Steelers had the #1 defense and STILL couldn't shut down Fitz OR Boldin.

I wonder how many Cardinals fans said the same thing about Bidwill?

It's so funny how most ES were praising Vinny and the FO for finally "getting it right" when we were 6-2.....

Now everyone wants their heads again.

I dont believe in Vinny at all, but I think Snyder will eventually bring us back to prominence.

Archived