Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

California Will Begin Delaying Tax Refunds On Feb. 1 Without Quick Budget Fix

81artmonk

You guys still don't get it.

Why did you give the state government a free loan on your money in the first place? Especially if you don't approve how the government is being run?

Adjust your withholdings. It's not rocket science.

I'm sorry. I forgot the point where the govt is off the hook becuase we did something to prevent having pay the govt when tax time comes.

Re: They've been trying to bankrupt the state.

No, I don't have any support for that assertion.

I apologize, but frankly, my Vulcan telepathic powers stopped working at roughly the time that they stopped making Star Trek movies with the TV series cast. I've been trying to conceal that fact ever since then, because I knew how many people on ES had become utterly dependent on my complete infallibility.

I hereby officially announce to all of the people who believed that my statement indicated that I had secretly mind melded with every Republican member of the California legislature that, in actuality, I made it up.

(I'm quite certain that there's a different explanation to explain why the California Republican Party, who have no power whatsoever to set policy or to pass any measure whatsoever, but which do have the ability to successfully prevent the legislature from fixing the problem, have been utilizing that power at every opportunity.)

I know it must suck for the residents of Cali, but honestly, I rather them take your money, than money from every other tax paying American just because they have a budget shortfall. Perhaps the Cali voters can get them to cut some of their programs and balance the budget. Cali needs to bail itself out.

:rotflmao:

I'm sorry, I'm back after that good laugh. Cali voters have been trying for years. Cali hasn't balanced a budget in probably the last 8 years. Which is why we are in the problem. Our reps keep making poor management choices and borrowing to get out of them. Now this is what you get.

A govt that takes your money than tells you, you aren't getting any of it back until we fix it. Oh yeah, and our fixing it, will probably in all likelihood cost you more becuase we only believe in taxing the hell out of you instead of cutting wastful spending.

You have to remeber califorians, it wasn't our fault, it's prop 13's fault and what ever else we can blame it on

I don't feel sorry for The Peoples Republic of Cali.

Arnold initially was moving towards fixing budget issues but the people listening and believing to the BS from the Unoins and liberals, scared him into moving to the far left to stay in office

So true.

(I'm quite certain that there's a different explanation to explain why the California Republican Party, who have no power whatsoever to set policy or to pass any measure whatsoever, but which do have the ability to successfully prevent the legislature from fixing the problem, have been utilizing that power at every opportunity.)

Yeah, it's called trying to protect californians from the Dems crazy and irresponsible ideas about how to run a state.

Instead of trying to balance the budget and cut spending with moderate tax increases, the Dems ONLY plan is to soak the people.

I'm in no way trying to minimize the Repubs. They are to blame for this too, but at least they get it, some what. You can't mismanage a state, not balance a budget for years on end, spend like crazy, than turn to the people and expect them to shoulder the load of your piss poor management!!!

Don't you think it might be nothing more than the GOP trying to send a message that they want positive change in the state (i.e., less taxation)? Despite what you think neither party would deliberately try to BK the state. The thing is, the Dems are coming close to doing just that with their "more gov't is the cure all" philosophy. At least you had the stones to admit you have no basis for your viewpoints. It's the first step towards recovery...and throwing away your Union card & hippie-love adoration for the leftists. I have hope for you yet.

Isn't stopping legislation pretty much the same as setting policy? And you must take us all for fools if really think we'll blame the problems of California on the Republicans.

Isn't stopping legislation pretty much the same as setting policy? And you must take us all for fools if really think we'll blame the problems of California on the Republicans.

If a busload of people is heading for a cliff, and someone has disabled the steering and the brakes, is he (at least partially) at fault?

The blame, if there is any (truthfully), falls on both parties. Most of it, however, falls on the people. We are the ones who, rather than allowing (or forcing) our elected officials to decide, have instituted and locked the state into spending via needless propositions every year.

That said, the GOP is to blame for constantly blocking any revenue increasers (taxes, lotteries, etc.) when the state's revenue sources did not stay on pace with inflation. Moreover, they are to blame for ALWAYS blocking the budget from passing when the majority (just not the super majority that is required) had a good budget. Delays have made the deficit worse - each year.

The Dem party is to blame here for not wanting to make the hard choice on what programs to make cuts in when its evident that the state needs to do so. The Dem party is also to blame for not making the difficult decisions and allowing silly propositions to go the ballot for the public to vote on (thus costing the state even more).

If a busload of people is heading for a cliff, and someone has disabled the steering and the brakes, is he (at least partially) at fault?

Yep but in this case the GOP is the GPS, the mechanic is the liberal voting block and the driver is the Democratic party and ignoring the warnings of the GPS.

The blame, if there is any (truthfully), falls on both parties. Most of it, however, falls on the people. We are the ones who, rather than allowing (or forcing) our elected officials to decide, have instituted and locked the state into spending via needless propositions every year.

That's fine and dandy, but what exactly are we to do. Most of Cali is democrat. So that's how they vote. Thus we get a majority run state of democrats.

Even after years of piss poor management, no one votes them out. Other than voting, there isn't much we can do to force our elected officials to change.

That said, the GOP is to blame for constantly blocking any revenue increasers (taxes, lotteries, etc.) when the state's revenue sources did not stay on pace with inflation. Moreover, they are to blame for ALWAYS blocking the budget from passing when the majority (just not the super majority that is required) had a good budget. Delays have made the deficit worse - each year.

Personally I wouldn't call this a bad thing. every time the budget comes up the dems want to soak the people. So if this is the blame the repubs have to shoulder, I would say they are much more responsible than the dems.

And why are more taxes upon more taxes a good thing, when there hasn't been any fiscal responsibility to begin with. If they would have balanced a budget, not over spent, and not made really poor choices in how to run our state, I would say small tax increases would be ok, but since none of that has happened, I don't see taxes as being a good thing at all.

It takes all the responsibility off the people who have gotten us into this mess and placed it firmly onto those who's fault it ISN'T!!

With leadership like this it is no wonder they are hurting.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-santa-barbara-oil30-2009jan30,0,4266773.story

The 2-1 vote to reject the plan came after more than five hours of discussion. Joining Garamendi was state Controller John Chiang, who cast his vote without comment. Representing the state finance department, deputy director Tom Sheehy voted for the proposal, citing the revenues that would have poured into the state treasury from oil royalties.

The commission has jurisdiction over oil extracted from state lands and oversees more than a thousand wells.

Its hearing in a Santa Barbara waterfront hotel was especially charged, pitting an odd-bedfellows alliance of environmental groups and an oil firm against Garamendi and state lawmakers who represent coastal districts. It came a day after the 40th anniversary of the disastrous Santa Barbara oil spill -- a pivotal event in the history of the region and a big-bang moment for the modern environmental movement.

the targeted underwater oil field, known as Tranquillon Ridge after an on-shore landmark, could produce as much as 200 million barrels of oil and 50 billion cubic feet of natural gas, the company estimated. Existing pipelines would have been used to deliver the haul to processing plants already in place on shore.

Meanwhile oil seeps out naturally:silly:

You guys still don't get it.

Why did you give the state government a free loan on your money in the first place? Especially if you don't approve how the government is being run?

Adjust your withholdings. It's not rocket science.

Bingo!!!!!!!!

I love it when people scream that they get these huge tax returns every year. The idea situation is to get a little back, thats it.

It takes all the responsibility off the people who have gotten us into this mess and placed it firmly onto those who's fault it ISN'T!!

Actually that would be you as well. Remember state budgets are based on the revenue that they project. The reason why al these states are getting squeezed is because the values of the homes dropped so the taxes that were paid were less then expected. That is why this is happening.

Homes are dropping in values because many people bought homes they could never afford and when the started to have to actually pay principle the walked, thus millions in taxes were never paid.

Which is why we are all getting the bill now.

This is greed from the banks and the american people who is at fault, so yes you are partly to blame.

Actually that would be you as well. Remember state budgets are based on the revenue that they project. The reason why al these states are getting squeezed is because the values of the homes dropped so the taxes that were paid were less then expected. That is why this is happening.

Homes are dropping in values because many people bought homes they could never afford and when the started to have to actually pay principle the walked, thus millions in taxes were never paid.

Which is why we are all getting the bill now.

This is greed from the banks and the american people who is at fault, so yes you are partly to blame.

I'm sorry dude, some other guy tried to pull that reason out of his *** too and it doesn't fly.

Acually he blamed prop 13 for ALL of Clifornia's ills.

Our California govt, doesn't know how to do anything smart and budget. They made some very bad choices, didn't balance the budget. Spent more each year and now it's bitting them......oops I mean us in the butt!!

What you brought up is partially true, it's a part of why cali is in the mess it is in, but the larger picture is that we have a bunch of idiots who have run this state into bankruptcy and now expect US the taxpayer to solve THIER problem!!

Bingo!!!!!!!!

I love it when people scream that they get these huge tax returns every year. The idea situation is to get a little back, thats it.

I absolutely love this excuse....or I mean blame. That is like saying "why did you put your money in the bank?? Why didn't you just leave it underneath the mattress at home??

here's the fact of the matter. Let's say I change my with holdings. So now that money that the govt gets, now comes to me. Which is now taxed before it comes out.

So I did some figuring. I get about 5,000 back combined on state and federal. average that out, it comes to about $400 a month extra if I change my withholdings.

So that extra $400 is now coming to me instead of the govt. How much of that will I acully see in my paycheck since now, it's income and not tax, therefore that $400 will be taxed before I see it.

So in reality, by changing my withholdings, I will in the end get less money than if I leave it alone and keep it the way it is now.

Your point is ridiculous anyway, You're blaming ME for expecting the govt to give back the money that is MINE in the first place.

I did my part, they do theirs. To blame those of us for being angry about not getting our money back is just plain stupid :)

I absolutely love this excuse....or I mean blame. That is like saying "why did you put your money in the bank?? Why didn't you just leave it underneath the mattress at home??

here's the fact of the matter. Let's say I change my with holdings. So now that money that the govt gets, now comes to me. Which is now taxed before it comes out.

So I did some figuring. I get about 5,000 back combined on state and federal. average that out, it comes to about $400 a month extra if I change my withholdings.

So that extra $400 is now coming to me instead of the govt. How much of that will I acully see in my paycheck since now, it's income and not tax, therefore that $400 will be taxed before I see it.

Uh, your taxes are based on your gross income. Not on the amount you get "after taxes".

The $400 that you send to the government in the form of withholding? That's $400 that you got taxed on. Whether you send it to the government or not.

Actually it is on your adjusted income(after deductions);)

But you are correct it is simply giving your money away interest free till it is refunded.

I am with 81Art on this one

Lets say I let the Government have $2000 of my money over a year

I am losing approximetly 2% interest on a little more than $1000 (you didn't give the government all the money right away, $167 in January ect...)

2% x 1000 = 20 bucks

20 bucks is a good insurance policy to assure you GET money back from the Fed

Plus

Its like a savings plan.....with a Tax Insurance component

The State should pay Interest on your return starting 10 days after you file

Archived