Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Depressing thought about our role in the NFC East

SkinsNumberOne

We beat Philly 2 times this season...man we should be in there place.

Yes the Skins beat the Eagles twice, but the Eagles also beat teams the Skins lost to as well. Until the Skins prepare themselves well enough and beat teams they should, they can't be considered in the same class playoff teams like the Eagles.

But we wouldn't have won that Super Bowl in Gibbs first year with Brunell under center!

Oh wait...............

Yeah, I know.

Basically, our team has been OK these last several years. It's our QB play and our decision to NOT make the quick move (unless your name was Patrick Ramsey, then it's OK not to wait for you to develop, give you a fourth or fifth season, etc) at that spot that has sacrificed games, homefield advantage and glory.

If we had even picked up Pennington this year, I have a feeling we'd have challenged the Giants. Now, that doesn't guarantee playoff success but hell, there are other FAs this year. We shouldn't be so wedded to Campbell or ANY UNPROVEN QB (including Colt) that we don't make the move that will win us THIS SEASON.

Imagine picking up Brees. No, let's not. It's too painful. We'd rather wait out a guy to BECOME mediocre rather than try as hard as we can to find that elite.

Well, every division has its turd, and we are it.

Everyone wants to talk about the big bad NFC East but yet when we had our chance to go knock off Seattle in 2005 and 2007 we got stuffed.

I'm just getting increasingly pissed watching these playoffs unfold. The first game next week will involve the Eagles and the second game will probably involve the Steelers. Yay.

Any good movies that I can go see between 3 and 9 next Sunday?

yea, we are the turd. :(

The same team we are putting high on the pedestal finished 8-8 last year and a cellar dweller.

Can we please stop living in pityville? We aren't that bad. We have had 3 .500+ season in 5 years. Houston has had only 1, Oakland hasn't had one since 2003, and Detriot hasn't had better than 8-8 since Barry Sanders (not sure about this), and there are some others that I am forgetting.

I am pissed about how this season ended, but we finished 8-8, not 0-16. Remember, the eagles finished 8-8 last year and look where they are now.

Yeah, I know.

Basically, our team has been OK these last several years. It's our QB play and our decision to NOT make the quick move (unless your name was Patrick Ramsey, then it's OK not to wait for you to develop, give you a fourth or fifth season, etc) at that spot that has sacrificed games, homefield advantage and glory.

If we had even picked up Pennington this year, I have a feeling we'd have challenged the Giants. Now, that doesn't guarantee playoff success but hell, there are other FAs this year. We shouldn't be so wedded to Campbell or ANY UNPROVEN QB (including Colt) that we don't make the move that will win us THIS SEASON.

Imagine picking up Brees. No, let's not. It's too painful. We'd rather wait out a guy to BECOME mediocre rather than try as hard as we can to find that elite.

Pennington=Brunell.

Pennington is a ****ty ass QB who is only good for one season every three. Check his stats; Other than the years he won Comeback player of the year, he has had bad years.

I am pissed about how this season ended, but we finished 8-8, not 0-16. Remember, the eagles finished 8-8 last year and look where they are now.

At least the Eagles have had several recent NFCCG appearances and a Super Bowl appearance.

Sorry, but the area around 8-8 which this team seems to be habitually trapped in is starting to stink.

NFC South is over-rated. They don't come close to the NFC East. Both of their playoff teams this year got beat by the CARDINALS. As far as our place in the NFC East? We've been 3-3 in our division the past two years, so we hold our ground. However, we fail at putting bad teams away. Heck, we fail at putting any team away. Last year we almost lost to 1-15 miami on the first week. We also came close to losing to the 4-12 jets.

You mean the CARDINALS that are in the NFC Championship game?

Pennington=Brunell.

Check his stats; Other than the years he won Comeback player of the year, he has had bad years.

Which Brunell, 2005 before his knee got hurt against the Giants or 2004?

Pennington knows the WCO and it's actually made for his limited skills. I'm not making the case that he's a BRees, just that even that '------' QB is better than what we've been lining up for the last few years (minus parts of Brunell 2005 and Collins 2007)

Pennington knows the WCO and it's actually made for his limited skills. I'm not making the case that he's a BRees, just that even that '------' QB is better than what we've been lining up for the last few years (minus parts of Brunell 2005 and Collins 2007)

Ghost, since you've got the NFL all figured out - I guess you can explain why Collins is bothering to wait on the Redskins bench.

He really needs to get out there to one of the other 31 teams since he can lead them to victory!

And before you whine about my tone of voice there and how ludicrous what I'm saying is, seriously, why didn't he leave for another team and start after his fantastic finish last year, leading the team - you have been constantly harping on how great he looked last year, so it's confusing to me - why don't they (or even Todd himself) see what you see? Fools!

Let's take Chad in 2006: 64.5% 3352 yards 6.9 avg 17 TD 16 INT

in 2004: 65.4 2673 yards 6.9 avg 16 tds 9 int

2002 was his only good year before this one.

Honestly, Pennington was about as good as Brunell was in 2006.

Ghost, since you've got the NFL all figured out - I guess you can explain why Collins is bothering to wait on the Redskins bench.

after his fantastic finish last year, leading the team - you have been constantly harping on how great he looked last year, so it's confusing to me

He looked great after years of being with and knowing Saunders system. If he were only 30, he may very well see what he could do with another team. The guy has very little wear on his tires but he's a smart dude and knows he isn't and hasn't had his brains beaten out of his head nor been the focus of a lot of criticism in a long time.

And a lot of teams still have questions like they may have had about Rich Gannon---who knows?! Jeff Garcia has played for how many teams now? WHO CARES?!

Hey, I have one for you? Why didn't teams beat down the doors for Chad Pennington to start for them this year?!! Or drafting Darren Sproles earlier? Or Tom Brady? This is silly. You want to go compiling bad decisions that almost the entire league made? That's a sure-fire way to lose a debate, if you want to really go by the "if the NFL didn't do it, it must mean they're right" argument. We've already dealt with this in other threads.

If you're HONESTLY going to sit there and try to advance such a stupid argument (note, I am not calling YOU stupid, stubborn maybe,) then you're pretty much not worth responding to again. Thanks for saving me time in the future!

He looked great after years of being with and knowing Saunders system. If he were only 30, he may very well see what he could do with another team. The guy has very little wear on his tires but he's a smart dude and knows he isn't and hasn't had his brains beaten out of his head nor been the focus of a lot of criticism in a long time.

And a lot of teams still have questions like they may have had about Rich Gannon---who knows?! Jeff Garcia has played for how many teams now? WHO CARES?!

Hey, I have one for you? Why didn't teams beat down the doors for Chad Pennington to start for them this year?!! Or drafting Darren Sproles earlier? Or Tom Brady? This is silly. You want to go compiling bad decisions that almost the entire league made? That's a sure-fire way to lose a debate, if you want to really go by the "if the NFL didn't do it, it must mean they're right" argument. We've already dealt with this in other threads.

If you're HONESTLY going to sit there and try to advance such a stupid argument (note, I am not calling YOU stupid, stubborn maybe,) then you're pretty much not worth responding to again. Thanks for saving me time in the future!

Yes, it's very unlikely to say that the NFL knows less than you. It's much MORE likely to say that YOU know more than THEM. Glad we got that cleared up buddy.

I'm not saying they are infallible, just saying it's unlikely you know more than them. You clearly disagree.

A pathetic retort - one of the most pathetic retorts I've read on a board, from a person whose discourse I have often respected.

Not really. You gotta consider that teams evolve/change during a season. IMO, SKins is lot worse (relative to other teams) than it was at the beginning of the year.

I think you could argue that Arizona and NYG's got worse and the Eagles were extremely inconsistant prior the playoffs.

:2cents:

I am so ****ing pissed off and since I can't make new threads and this seems like the place to rant about this, I will.

I have this ******* Eagles fan who I work with and when I come into work this morning he sends all his Giants fan buddies an email making fun of them and decided to include me on the email as well. So I called him out on it. **** him!

If the Redskins would beat the Cowboys but get swept by the Eagles, would I go bragging to an Eagles fan that we just be Dallas?!?!?! Hell no! We got owned by them all year so why would I brag to them knowing they spanked us?? (Hypathetically speaking).

I mean, I rubbed it in to his face when we beat them but that was team against team, not team against another team but we're gonna include you as well, just because.

I'm sorry but the fact that the Eagles LUCKED into the playoffs and are in the NFC Champ game now has me so pissed off about football in general that it makes me sick. **** them!

Wonder when our Skins will get the opportunity to become an elite feared team again in this division.

Next September.
If we kept Saunders in place, started Collins or even started Campbell and went to Collins later in the season
Especially after he spent all that cash on his sweet burgundy and gold wheelchair.
Well, every division has its turd, and we are it.

Holy ****, really? We are the turd? I seem to remember us walking into our rivals home field and beating on them, when everybody was healthy. We were 3-3 in the division, including a sweep over the team representing us in the Championship.

I seriously doubt any other NFCE team thinks we are a turd.

As it turns out, the Skins were a lot closer to being there than everyone thought.

True. The idea that we are hopelessly sunk and have to blow up everything is just dramaqueen stuff spewed by people who are probably just depressed that the Redskins season is over.

The truth is, with a small player upgrade here, some rookie growth there, and a better run offensive scheme we could turn it around next year, like the Eagles did this year.

Our role changes from year-to-year. In 2007, the Eagles brought up the rear. This year both Dallas and the Skins got the shaft. Next year, who knows? While it's certainly depressing to see the NFC Championship decided between teams we went 3-0 against this year, these things happen. Hey, at least we went 0-2 against the AFC Championship teams.

As it turns out, the Skins were a lot closer to being there than everyone thought.

Now now now,, this thread was supposed to be DEPRESSING.

Didn't you read the title?

I agree completely, people are acting like we're one of the worst teams in the NFL, and it gets old. There was the annual prediction thread back in August, and looking back on it most everyone in it posted a record between 7-9 and 9-7, and lo and behold, almost everyone was CORRECT>

In fact, most people in there that posted a .500 prediction considered it to be acceptable given all the surrounding circumstances. In August we seemed to realize we had a rookie head coach who had never even been a playcaller before. We seemed to realize Campbell was learning yet another system, and he was only a second year starter.

Ah, but a 6-2 start changed all of that, gave everyone EXPECTATIONS. Of course we all remember being 4-1 and looking at the schedule with 3 creampuffs coming up and gleefully predicting 7-1 and a glide to the playoffs... but when we came up to the stretch that included 4 straight top ten defenses (including the top two defenses in the NFL ...who just so happen to be playing this week for a chance to whip up on Philly or Arizona and claim the trophy) no one wanted to predict we'd get our asses handed to us by those teams and come out the other end 6-6.

Nope, suddenly we were good enough to be able to handle the Ravens, Steelers, and the SB champions. (Optimism for the Cowboys is understandable, we already beat them. Notice again that all the others played this weekend, two are still alive, and one of them will likely win the Super Bowl)

Now, the other side of that is the fact we own both the NFC reps... but that should show people we're not as BAD as they think, either. We're capable of playing at a high level. (Consistency comes with time and practice. One year is neither.)

The lesson to learn: We're not a bad team. We're not a good team, either, at least not good enough to play with those kinds of defenses.

Now, does a rookie head coach calling plays against those defenses have something to do with why we got our asses beat? Probably. Is it understandable that the best defenses in the league kicked us around like that? Yes, it is given the circumstance.

Is it a good starting point to work towards for next year?

You're damn right it is. We were FORTUNATE enough in this debacle to have played against four out of the top five defenses in the NFL this year. (The fifth one being us.)

Why is this fortunate? Because we don't have to wonder how to practice to get better against them. We have first hand experience and game film of our own offense trying to work against the BEST defenses in the league, showing specifically how we fared against them in direct confrontation. We saw their tendencies and reactions firsthand. In terms of experience for a young coach, that is invaluable. You don't learn anything getting beat by a fluke vs the damn Rams. You learn by getting beat by the Steelers.

~Bang

Archived