Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watching Ed Reed made me cry-missing ST

SWFLSkins

Yesterday while watching Ed Reed put on an all-pro performance made me tear up. I could not help but think of how different that team would be without Reed, as are the Redskins without #21. I know maybe the entirety of the season hit me or what not, but with the playmaker back there their D is able to do things not normally thought possible. The coverages they can employ, the closeness in which the DB's can cover, it is the difference in yesterdays game and the two team's seasons.

And I think back to our season. I know we all say, if only we could get pressure on the QB. With Sean they could get that pressure. And really Landry, Horton or any other safety we have did not put that shadow of doubt in the QB's mind, or the receiver. Landry is good, but Sean was great.

You must account for that guy(Taylor or Reed), or he is going to get you, from out of nowhere. Game changers, not just once in a season. I know some of this was covered in the past, and that sadly Sean is gone. But it really makes me wonder, what if? If only. He could have accounted for two to three more wins easily.

To the best, #21.

Did this hit anybody else this way?

I don't know about anyone else but I find it odd (if not disrespectful) to talk about missing ST and however many more games you think the Redskins would have won if he was still on the team.

Whenever I think of ST i'm usually sadened by the fact that his life came to an end so soon.

But as far as getting sad because I think the Redskins could be winning more games with him on the team, no, I really don't think of it in that way.

I don't know about anyone else but I find it odd (if not disrespectful) to talk about missing ST and however many more games you think the Redskins would have won if he was still on the team.

Whenever I think of ST i'm usually sadened by the fact that his life came to an end so soon.

But as far as getting sad because I think the Redskins could be winning more games with him on the team, no, I really don't think of it in that way.

Good post. Not to be mean, but I think it's very selfish to get sad because the Skins could be winning more with ST. People that thinks that way isn't thinking about ST, they're thinking of themselves. People need to step back and think.

But wondering where the Skins would be with ST is an automatic thought for a lot of us. It's not disrespectful...I think a lot of us realize that he was more than a football player. He was a son and a father...yet 99.9% on the board of us never knew him in that capacity. We just knew him as one of the best football players that we've had the opportunity to watch, and we miss him first and foremost in that aspect. As I said, not a lot of us knew him in the other arenas of his life, so why do a lot on this board pretend that they did? Don't get me wrong, it's a damn shame that his loved ones lost him, but we as fans weren't his family. We saw him during pre season and then once a week for 16 weeks or so...that doesn't make me feel like I was buddy-buddy with him or lost a great friend. I never spent time with him, never hung out with him, never met him. So why is it a shame for me to miss him as a football player? That's the capacity I "knew him" best in.

All throughout the season I wondered how we'd be doing if we had #21 back there. There's nothing disrespectful in that...that's like wondering what a deceased parent would tell you in a time of need, what advice they'd give. "How would things be different if they were still around?"

Again, don't get me wrong, it's a tragedy when any young man passes away too soon in the way that he did.

But there's not a thing wrong with thinking how the Skins would be doing if he was here.

As for Ed Reed, he's incredible.

i absolutely agree. its one thing to tear up because he was a great guy that lost his life way too soon, but not because of how great the team would have been with him.

there isnt a safety or player of any position that i would have taken over taylor, its amazing how many people he touched, and how much he is missed.

It's sad, but I don't find myself getting distraught over it these days. I think as fans we'll all wonder what could have been, no doubt in my mind he would have been one of the greats, and a tandem of him and Landry for years to come would have been sickening. I look back and am fortunate that I was able to watch an athlete of his magnitude play throughout college and his tenure with the Redskins and give us fans a lot of memories

Good post. Not to be mean, but I think it's very selfish to get sad because the Skins could be winning more with ST. People that thinks that way isn't thinking about ST, they're thinking of themselves. People need to step back and think.

It may be selfish, but you have to remember that we didn't know him as a family man, father, or friend. We knew him as a football player. In the scheme of things, his football career may have been one of the less important aspects of his life, but to us, thats how we knew him. He was an incredible player. Call me what you want, but every time we give up a big passing play, or a reciever catches a pass over the middle, I find myself thinking "what if." It's going to be like that for a long time I'm afraid...

Getting real sick of these threads. Next week BDawk will play insane and well see another thread on how we miss ST. Ed Reed is not Sean Taylor. Bdawk is not Sean Taylor. Taylor Mays is not Sean Taylor. The bottom line is, nobody is like or will be Sean Taylor. Sean Taylor is Sean Taylor just like Ed Reed is Ed Reed. It's been over a year and we still talk about ST like he was our best friend. It totally sucks what happened to him but can we just let it go already. Ed Reed made me think what it's going to be like with Landry.

Getting real sick of these threads. Next week BDawk will play insane and well see another thread on how we miss ST. Ed Reed is not Sean Taylor. Bdawk is not Sean Taylor. Taylor Mays is not Sean Taylor. The bottom line is, nobody is like or will be Sean Taylor. Sean Taylor is Sean Taylor just like Ed Reed is Ed Reed. It's been over a year and we still talk about ST like he was our best friend. It totally sucks what happened to him but can we just let it go already. Ed Reed made me think what it's going to be like with Landry.

Exactly. Grown men crying over missing a football player? There's something wrong there.

I am going to quote myself. Because I am smart.

I can already see where the Taylor remembrances are heading, and this is week is going to see hagiography of a remarkable degree.

Here is my suggestion. Remeber Taylor for what he was. A talented enigma. A young father. Someone finding his way as a player and a man. Someone whose potential in life and football were equally bottomless. Someone who was still very early in the act of becoming.

Don't remember him for what he was not. He was not the best player in football. He was not a saint off the field. He was not necessarily beloved by the city because he was not easy to know or understand.

Remember that the tragedy is not that we lost a football player. But that we senseless violence took a young father's life. The tragedy is that we will never really know what we lost, because we don't know what Taylor was going to be.

Lou Gerhig. Roberto Clemente. Darryl Kile. Korey Stringer. Darrent Williams. Reggie Lewis.

We are not the only franchise to have lost a player. So, let's not become flagellates seeking attention for the grandness of our grief. Let's not turn this into a way to show America how much we really feel in some sort of kabuki theater of grief.

My suggestion how best to remember Sean remains the same as last year. Put away the rally tags and the t-shirts and tatoos. Get up and go to the local blood bank. And hopefully the next young father who finds himself in Sean's tragic predicament may be saved.

Yesterday while watching Ed Reed put on an all-pro performance made me tear up. I could not help but think of how different that team would be without Reed, as are the Redskins without #21. I know maybe the entirety of the season hit me or what not, but with the playmaker back there their D is able to do things not normally thought possible. The coverages they can employ, the closeness in which the DB's can cover, it is the difference in yesterdays game and the two team's seasons.

And I think back to our season. I know we all say, if only we could get pressure on the QB. With Sean they could get that pressure. And really Landry, Horton or any other safety we have did not put that shadow of doubt in the QB's mind, or the receiver. Landry is good, but Sean was great.

You must account for that guy(Taylor or Reed), or he is going to get you, from out of nowhere. Game changers, not just once in a season. I know some of this was covered in the past, and that sadly Sean is gone. But it really makes me wonder, what if? If only. He could have accounted for two to three more wins easily.

To the best, #21.

Did this hit anybody else this way?

No cause life goes on, it is a football game

Do you go down to the park and see a daddy pushing his daughter on the swing and start to ball thinking about how Sean will not do that with his own daughter?

If there are 100 people in room, 3% will never be happy with something. Oh well.

The reason I like and liked Taylor was not only because of his play, but becasue of his personal growth in life. Children change you, as it did me. That is something Sean and I share even though we never met. Would I have missed Sean as much if he had never grown over the last couple of years, I don't know. I do know this, Sean to me, was as exciting to watch as Darrell Green was. I played corner/safety so there was an added incentive and they were Redskins.

And yeah Ed Reed more than any other player currently in the NFL reminds me of Taylor, and not because of the U. The speed and pure prowness of the guy is much like Taylor.

I also don't apologize for wearing my heart on my sleeve, burying a son will do that to you. Something I sadly share with Pedro Taylor, whom I also don't know.

Archived