Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blackberry Storm...anyone get it?

Spaceman Spiff

I have a Verizon PC Phone and was ready to upgrade to the Storm..but when I searched on line I found 2 third party people who rated the storm and both eluded to the fact that even though it was full feartured, they should have left it in the oven a little longer, in other words version 2 might be far better....just do a google on the storm an I think one of the articles comes up in the top rankings of the search

when does version 2 come out? im still on my parents' plan so i was thinking about getting a new phone and can't decide if the storm is worth it or not.

I have a Verizon PC Phone and was ready to upgrade to the Storm..but when I searched on line I found 2 third party people who rated the storm and both eluded to the fact that even though it was full feartured, they should have left it in the oven a little longer, in other words version 2 might be far better....just do a google on the storm an I think one of the articles comes up in the top rankings of the search

Except they are now already 1, if not 2 versions ahead. Really 3.

.65 was what it was released with

Then a Beta .75 was leaked

Then the full .75 was released,

Now a Beta .85 was released.

That's at least 2 versions further....

Im seeing a lot of this on this website about phones and work...if your bosses are spending an ounce of conciousness being concerned with who has a better phone, their boss needs to hire you some new bosses. If they want the storm they can go get it too. Just professional advice...its good to be aware but thats going kinda far, youre gonna drive yourself nuts!

Anyway, new curve I heard is coming out mid february. Im going to wait for that I think.

I don't necessarily agree. My professional advice to you would be appearances do matter. If they can do their jobs with a Curve, why do I need the top of the line phone to do mine? Are they getting value back for their money, or am I asking them to spend more so I can have a toy that doesn't contribute to my productivity or work product? I wouldn't expect them to be concerned about who has a better phone. I might expect them to consider what it says about me that I would choose to get the Storm on their dime.

And they don't have bosses.

• 2 weeks later...
As as side note, I was curious and ran by Verizon to confirm this, sales person did just that. If you buy any of those 4 phones with full html browser you cannot use the $5 a month mobile web access they they have/had, $15 vcast is required, at that point, may as well spend the extra $15 and get an actualy smartphone instead of a wannabe....I hate Verizon, I'm not sure why I'm still with them.

Probably because the service is 10X better than any carrier out there. I have the Storm and I love it. Once applications are released for it, it will be better than the Iphone.

Oh yeah for anyone that has a Storm, go to this site for applications that were released already http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/blackberry-storm-ota-apps-thread-107305/

I go there everyday to look for new info. Crackberry knows more things about blackberries, in this instance, the storm then if you went to a Verizon store to talk to a Rep. You should look into the trapster application. It tells you where speed cameras, police, police traps, as well as red light cameras are. and it follows you via GPS and alerts you when you are need one of those things. All the info is user submitted but since I drive around throughout the day, most if not all of the alerts have been spot on. Also check out Vlingo its a great app as well. Which OS do you have installed in your storm? I have .86

I go there everyday to look for new info. Crackberry knows more things about blackberries, in this instance, the storm then if you went to a Verizon store to talk to a Rep. You should look into the trapster application. It tells you where speed cameras, police, police traps, as well as red light cameras are. and it follows you via GPS and alerts you when you are need one of those things. All the info is user submitted but since I drive around throughout the day, most if not all of the alerts have been spot on. Also check out Vlingo its a great app as well. Which OS do you have installed in your storm? I have .86

I have not updated to the .86 yet, I am currently running on the .75. I own a mac laptop and am unable to download the new version. Also, do you need to pay for the GPS service from verizon to use trapster?

As far as I know you don't. I don't pay for any GPS and it works fine for me. Weatherbug works fine for me as well everytime it tries to locate me. I think the only app that has problems accessing the GPS is Google Maps. oh btw trapster is free as well and so is Vlingo, if for nothing else give Vlingo a try, you might like it. just disable compatibility mode and allow all permissions. its a speech to text app, you can use it to send sms emails as well as to open apps and do a web search all with voice commands

As far as I know you don't. I don't pay for any GPS and it works fine for me. Weatherbug works fine for me as well everytime it tries to locate me. I think the only app that has problems accessing the GPS is Google Maps. oh btw trapster is free as well and so is Vlingo, if for nothing else give Vlingo a try, you might like it. just disable compatibility mode and allow all permissions. its a speech to text app, you can use it to send sms emails as well as to open apps and do a web search all with voice commands

I will be adding this as soon as possible! Thanks for all the help!

I got it last night. It definitely is the best build so far that I've had. They added full qwerty keyboard in portrait view. I have not encountered the camera issue that some are getting. Overall is a lot quicker

Downloading and hopefully updating the phone within the next 45 min. I think i backed up all of my 3rd party apps but it wont kill me since all my apps are free at the moment. Should I wipe my phone completely or just upgrade it straight from .75?

you can just do straight upgrade and it'll be fine. Some say do a full wipe every 4-5 updates so if this is your first you should be fine. I did not do a wipe when i updated to this OS and all is good. if you are coming from .75, .90 will feel do wonder to your phone. it will feel like a whole different device. oh yeah make sure you disconnect from the internet after you install the OS to your computer

yo are you having issues with your GPS? both bbmaps and vznav weren't working for me, It kept telling me that there were no satellites available. I had to do a full wipe and install and now its working fine. I was going to BBM you but since I did a full wipe all your info is gone from my phone and I thought I had backed up my stuff. dummy me

so far i've had to issues with .99 but thats how it was with .90 for the first couple of days then the problems begun. my backlight wouldn't dim, phone was locking up. my GPS stopped working.... It got to the point where I was about to go back to .75 but thankfully .99 came out. I do think they are making good progress with each build. HOpefully we'll see an official release soon. I am really looking forward to the app store

Archived