Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blackberry Storm...anyone get it?

Spaceman Spiff

Here is a pretty good review of the phone:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/19/blackberry-storm-review/

I was all about getting it, the screen and phone look sweet but the 2 main reasons I didn't get it are:

1 - it seems really buggy/laggy - switching from portrait to landscape and going between applications seemed really slow

2 - it uses the same OS of a regular Blackberry, not something that was designed for touch screen so it seems like the touch doesn't really add anything, it just is a tacked on, gimmicky type thing.

Not to mention now Wi-Fi.

I'll stick with the Pearl for now and maybe get the next version of this.

What does that have to do with the Thunder, which is the AT&T exclusive?

I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, When RIM made the touchscreen Blackberry, they called it the Thunder, but then the signed an exclusive deal with Verizon and renamed it the Storm. So basically the Thunder is the Storm, but in CDMA form and it will not be out for other carriers, at least for some time. Again I could be wrong, I really don't keep up with Blackberries

Lotta bad reviews on it, all seem to say the click screen isn't that great...its knocked my enthusiasm down a bit.
I like the click screen - it makes typing easier than with an iPhone. The main problem with the Storm is the operating system, which seems to be a bit laggy. I would expect a software update at some point hopefully to fix the little bugs.

I am pretty sure that the Storm is Verizon exclusive, or at least for right now.

There is no Thunder coming. The storm is a verizon exclusive. ATT has the new blackberry bold, which is very nice I would say. I think with the iphone Apple might have swayed ATT to not get another touch phone to compete on the same network. Who knows???

What I do know is the Storm is the only touch blackberry for the near future.

I watched some comparisons with the storm vs. iPhone and the Bold as far as web browser...both times the Storm was faster. About 20% faster than the Bold and looked almost 50% faster than the iPhone. The transitions seem very slow when compared to the Bold, but the Bold almost seems to harsh because of how fast everything moves. Maybe they were going for an more pleasing movement. Maybe the will speed it up a little.

The iPhone had a little faster transitions but seemed pretty similar to the Storm. One thing was difference is the iPhone as a "flick" scroll while the Storm scroll doesn't keep moving after you lift your finger. The flick seems to be more visually pleasing but seems like it could get old. Either way I think it is what you are used to.

I have the Dare from Verizon. I don't think upgrading to the storm is really worth a extra $35 blackberry fee that Verizon charges.

same here. im happy with the dare. though id enjoy it more if it had wifi so i didnt have to use the 3g cuz it is slow at times in the places i use it.

and if it had more apps options the way the iphone does.

• 1 month later...

I actually am using the leaked version of .85 (Thanks Crackberry).

I even went one step further and wiped my phone completely and then reloaded it with .85 (Crackberry has instructions).

I love it. Have gotten very use to the Touchscreen. I do tend to use shorter emails now, but that's probably a good thing. The video now works great, although my Camera is still slow (Slower then a co-worker who has done the same thing I have).

Just got back from the verizon store....this phone SUCKS.

Slow, laggy as hell, the touchscreen typing is horrible. if you use your phone for work there is no way you can survive with this thing. its buggy as hell...really really difficult to navigate and use. There are some critical usability features that just arent there or impossible to find too, like highlight, copy & paste, etc. Just not easy. Very disappointed. Definitely waiting for the new curve.

When is the new Curve coming out?

Work is buying me a new blackberry. I played around with the Storm in the store, and I was not at all impressed. As a work tool, I'm thinking the Curve will be better.

Plus, it would be a little awkward to have work buy me a "better" phone than the bosses have (they have the Curve)

Yep...was thinking about doing that and then some knucklehead posted news on the .87 leak today but won't post a filename :mad:

I KNOW MAN I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR IT LIKE A MAD MAN. I kinda think that guy is BSing but it has everyone stirred up. I also have the .85 and its a lot faster then .75 however there are some people who have had issues with it. So far for me I have had none if there is a new leak as this guy claims I will do a full wipe and then install the new OS.

When is the new Curve coming out?

Work is buying me a new blackberry. I played around with the Storm in the store, and I was not at all impressed. As a work tool, I'm thinking the Curve will be better.

Plus, it would be a little awkward to have work buy me a "better" phone than the bosses have (they have the Curve)

Im seeing a lot of this on this website about phones and work...if your bosses are spending an ounce of conciousness being concerned with who has a better phone, their boss needs to hire you some new bosses. If they want the storm they can go get it too. Just professional advice...its good to be aware but thats going kinda far, youre gonna drive yourself nuts!

Anyway, new curve I heard is coming out mid february. Im going to wait for that I think.

Im seeing a lot of this on this website about phones and work...if your bosses are spending an ounce of conciousness being concerned with who has a better phone, their boss needs to hire you some new bosses. If they want the storm they can go get it too. Just professional advice...its good to be aware but thats going kinda far, youre gonna drive yourself nuts!

Anyway, new curve I heard is coming out mid february. Im going to wait for that I think.

what carrier is the new curve coming out for?

I have a Verizon PC Phone and was ready to upgrade to the Storm..but when I searched on line I found 2 third party people who rated the storm and both eluded to the fact that even though it was full feartured, they should have left it in the oven a little longer, in other words version 2 might be far better....just do a google on the storm an I think one of the articles comes up in the top rankings of the search

Archived