Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

• 3 weeks later...
I'm having Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye right now. Have you guys had it? It's pretty delicious

how bizarre. i just cracked my first about an hour ago. really good stuff. the torpedo is my go-to, but the rye is really impressive. definitely not lacking in hops, and i love me some hops. :)

---------- Post added January-28th-2012 at 08:08 PM ----------

a Sam IPA. The only one I've had before is the Irish Red which I remember liking, I'm excited about popping open the IPA though...about to do that now. :D

the latitude 48 IPA? not too shabby.

Horrible beer IMO. Too much artificial flavors for my liking much like many of the other Leinies.

Yeah well I got it for a cheap price because he wants to make room on the shelf for something else. Lenies should drop their prices a bit, they're in the range of Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada, which ain't even a contest. I love Lenies Sunset Wheat though. Not because it's an amazing craft beer, but because I love Fruit Loops.

Heavy Seas Black Cannon (Black IPA) Winter Seasonal

HSBlackCannon.JPG

Pretty straightforward description the bottle. "A variation of our Loose Cannon IPA, with an obvious dark note". I'm not a huge fan of Black IPAs, but I am a huge fan of the Loose Cannon...so here we go.

Dark brown on the pour, black in the glass. Small bright-tan head. Aroma is strong with that Loose Cannon, lots of dark fruit and a touch of roast. Very good smell. Flavor is much more roasty, with dark fruit, toast, pine and citrus hops. The finish is drawn out with alcohol warmth, and the flavors hold up well. Body is a little watery, but this beer is delicious, especially as you keep drinking it. All flavors are pronounced well, it's not subtle. I haven't been a big fan of Black IPAs until now. Best one I've had.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Guinness Foreign Extra

5447128882_8f699589a1.jpg

Love the aroma of this, dark fruits filling up the air. Taste is the same with roasted malt, dark chocolate and a ton of caramel. Body sort of reminds me of the Guinness Draught. Fluffy, highly carbonated, lighter body. The roasted malt really makes its presence known on the finish, bitter charcoal. This beer would be amazing for a cookout, would go great with steak. Definitely getting some this summer.

HSBlackCannon.JPG

Pretty straightforward description the bottle. "A variation of our Loose Cannon IPA, with an obvious dark note". I'm not a huge fan of Black IPAs, but I am a huge fan of the Loose Cannon...so here we go.

Dark brown on the pour, black in the glass. Small bright-tan head. Aroma is strong with that Loose Cannon, lots of dark fruit and a touch of roast. Very good smell. Flavor is much more roasty, with dark fruit, toast, pine and citrus hops. The finish is drawn out with alcohol warmth, and the flavors hold up well. Body is a little watery, but this beer is delicious, especially as you keep drinking it. All flavors are pronounced well, it's not subtle. I haven't been a big fan of Black IPAs until now. Best one I've had.

For a special treat, cut it 50/50 with the regular Loose Cannon. It's unbelievable! I found that out, courtesy of Rincewind...

71.jpg

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION

This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lover’s delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficionados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

Had this after the Super Bowl. My take: Avoid at all costs. Very, very IPA-ish. Nothing enjoyable about it at all, despite it being rated 99 at ratebeer. I'm missing that particular gene.

• 2 weeks later...

Huge traditional ale fan, and this stuff doesn't disappoint.

new-belgium-1554.gif

Dark mahogany, aroma is chocolate, caramel, vanilla, biscuit, clove, cinnamon. For the first second the flavor is a shot of that yeast/biscuit trait, but the chocolate/caramel/vanilla which starts as the backbone really takes the torch the rest of the way. Nice and quick flavor transition. Can't pick up many hops notes at all, body is very silky. This is kind of like a Belgian mixed with a brown ale. Very interesting brew, good for sipping, tastes great, low alcohol as well.

I was in Utah for work this week. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights I was able to experience some great Utah beer.

My favorites:

Provo Girl Pilsner

20070206-provo.jpg

Captain ****'s Oatmeal Stout

34418.jpg

The Devastator Double Bock

Devestator_WasatchBottles.jpg

Polygamy Porter

PolygamyPorter_WasatchBottles.jpg

Probably the most impressive thing for me (someone who can't stand the "lookitme lookitme lookitme" over-hopping of otherwise good beer by many brew pubs and small brewers) was the restraint shown by the makers. This stuff was mighty tasty but not because it had such strong hoppiness that my face was left with a perma-pucker. Nope. Just plain yummy and good.

Thanks Utah for a great experience. Now I just want to see if any of these are available for Mass consumption.

Had this on draft earlier tonight, loved it, went very well with my bbq sammy and smoke gouda macncheese, yes this place SMOKES their mac n cheese, it's ridiculous.

Edited by GoSkins561

Beer night tonight features the new Flying Dog Farmhouse IPA, which is actually technically a Saison.

flying-dog-wildeman-farmhouse-ipa.jpg

A bright, clear amber/caramel color with a friggen giant bright white head. The lacing is very sticky and symmetrically webbed. Looks great!

Aroma is a lot of peppery spices along with a lemon and other citrus juices. Also a tiny bit of pine resin from the hops, The aroma is definitely a lot more like a Saison than an IPA.

The flavor is more like an IPA though, with earthy/piney hops really coming alive. The lemon pepper is very strong as well, splits the flavor 50/50 with the hops. Finish is extremely sweet and extremely long, this beer is not for the beginner. Get it if you like Flying Dog's aggressive style, it's vintage-them.

• 2 weeks later...