Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I had a bottle of the Trappistes Rochefort #10 for the first time last night. Best Belgian I've ever had by quite a bit. So malty and big bodied, it's very reminiscent of a chocolate stout. Lots of dark and milk chocolate, dark fruit and a touch of hops on the finish. This beer is amazing, guys. Best of the 3 in the series.

Problem is that it's quite costly, nine bucks for an 11.2 oz bottle over here. Such a shame, I love it.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I had a bottle of the Trappistes Rochefort #10 for the first time last night. Best Belgian I've ever had by quite a bit. So malty and big bodied, it's very reminiscent of a chocolate stout. Lots of dark and milk chocolate, dark fruit and a touch of hops as well. This beer is amazing, guys. Best of the 3 in the series.

Problem is that it's quite costly, nine bucks for an 11.2 oz bottle over here. Such a shame, I love it.

Find the #6, the 8 and 10 are great but the 6.............:cloud9:

The first one I had was the 6, it's been a while but I don't remember it knocking my socks off like the #10. Maybe again one day, like I said, it's an expensive beer to love.

Oh yeah without a doubt, I've had a #6 in my fridge for about 5 months now waiting for the perfect time, at $10 per 12oz it's pretty tough to drink regularly.

Tonight it's the Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

Youngs-Double-Chocolate-Stout_45CA3C1D.jpg

Flavor is dark/milk chocolate and unsweetened cocoa. A little less pronounced than I remember, easily drinkable, not to big of a mouthfeel. Some hops and smoke flavor on the aftertaste. This beer smells the part, but kind of lacks a real punch for a stout with the word "double" on it. Least in my opinion. Not bad at all, just not a world beater.

I've been drinking too much, but tonight it's the Sam Adams Imperial Stout. (I'm on a major stout fix right now)

sa-imperial-stout-bottle-and-glass.jpg

I gotta get me one of them glasses. She's a beaut. This beer is seriously pitch black with a large chocolate mocha head. She smells great. Tons of plums, raisins and chocolate. Flavor is a blast of chocolate with a very rich and lively body. Modest amount of hops and dark fruit. Dark chocolate and alcohol warmth are on the aftertaste. This is one damn good stout, it seems to go the chocolate-uppercut route, and it's very good in that regard. I like it more than the Young's Double Chocolate, but not as much as, say, the Heavy Seas Peg Leg. I'll give this Sam Adams a 91/100.

d0ublestr0ker0ll you have just hit the trifecta!!! First a Trappistes Rochefort (albeit the wrong one ;)), then Young's Double Chocolate Stout and then Sam Adam's Imperial Stout!! There is only one of those that isn't in my fridge right now and that's the Young's. BTW the adjective "Double" modifies "Chocolate" not "Stout".

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a 4pk of Young's Double Chocolate Stout in 11.2oz bottles...not sure why not a 12oz, first time I've seen them in anything less than the pint nitro can or the big bottle. I also picked up Kentucky Ale's Bourbon Barrel Ale, I've had this a couple times on tap recently and it's worth a review, I'll post one in the next couple days.

Well I tell ya, the weather outside is NOT frightful. In fact the leaves on my tree decided to start blooming today. SO...that signals that I need to start making the rounds on the Spring beers. Got a head start last week, went after the Sam Adams Noble Pils. She's a chuggin'-brew, I very much enjoyed drinking that beer fast. The light hoppiness never got overbearing or underwhelming. Didn't get a chance to pour it in to a glass; it's not a beer I'd want to sit down and review anyway.

Tonight I'm tempted to get one of my favorite SUMMER chuggers (because it's just that nice outside), the Budweiser American Ale. Now I know what you're thinking, "BUDWEISER?!?!". Yes, the Budweiser American Ale is another one of those beers that I just love to slam back while cooking out. This beer has light but noticeable hop and malt characters, it isn't terrible. In fact, I find it unique, in a non-world-beating sort of way.

That said, I'm fighting this stout fixation still. Tried to kick it by getting the Flying Dog Double Dog Pale Ale a few days ago, and damn that beer will always firmly be one of my favorites, but I'm still craving chocolate and coffee malts. I could very well back out of the American Ale idea and grab some Stout, but roughly 8 of the last 10 beers I've had have been Stouts. Perhaps I'll just go with a super-dark Brown Ale. DFH Palo Santo Marron? Think I just talked myself in to getting it.

palo-santo-marron.jpg

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron is one of my very faves. This is obviously a dead-of-winter beer, so boozy it's outrageous. Not even the World Wide Stout, which is 18% ABV, is as boozy. The palo santo wood is so stark and enhances the boozy character so much. Not incredibly thick bodied, but it's technically a brown (American Strong) ale for crying out loud. Still a hefty mouthfeel for sure, just an ass-kicker really. Chocolate and coffee malts round out a seriously big flavor. Definitely an A for this beer...94/100

Has anybody tried Golden Monkey? It's a Belgian ale - it's very tasty and boasts 9% alcohol content. After 2 pints, I feel like I just drank a 6 pack. A fun beer!

I love Golden Monkey! Luckily it's not as expensive up here as it is where ever d0ublestr0ker0ll is. I can usually get it for about $11 for a six pack just down the street from my house.

Just had a Bourbon Barrel Gonzo on tap. Awesome stuff. Plan on being a big part of kicking that local keg.

---------- Post added April-26th-2011 at 11:42 PM ----------

Picked up a 4pk of Young's Double Chocolate Stout in 11.2oz bottles...not sure why not a 12oz....

Damn metric system...

I love Golden Monkey! Luckily it's not as expensive up here as it is where ever d0ublestr0ker0ll is. I can usually get it for about $11 for a six pack just down the street from my house.

I'm lucky/unlucky enough to live behind a bar that has the monkey on tap.

Hey guys what are some good un-hoppy beers you all have tasted. One that comes to mind is Guinness

Are you looking for Ales, Wheats, Lagers, Stouts or what? I know of a lot of un-hoppy beers as those are my favorites but they run across the board.

Non hoppy

Trappist Rochfort 6, 8, and 10

Sam Adams Boston Lager, and Winter Lager

Murphy's

Smithwicks

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Sam Adam's Imperial Stout

Sam Adam's Heffe (Wheat)

Sam's Black Lager

Sam's Blackberry Witbier

for starters.