Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I like Saranac as well, as far as low cost massively produced micros are concerned, they're the best IMO. They make very decent drinkable beers. Their double IPA that was out this summer was very good.

Cracked into a Victory Storm King Stout about an hour ago, still sipping this bad boy. Lots of roasted malts. My issue is, It has a burnt flavor to it that I can't get use to. It's a decent imperial stout, just doesn't offer the sweeter profile I like in a stout.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend at my tailgate, I sampled:

Harp Lager:

6pkbHarpLager12oz.jpg

Grade: A - delicious! I loved it. Its something I could drink again and again...great flavor

Young's Double Chocolate Stout:

youngs-double-chocolate-sto.gif

Grade: B - at first taste, I thought I was drinking chocolate milk...nothing but strong flavors of chocolate...very good, I just dont think I could drink more than 1 at a sitting.

Magic Hat #9:

magichat9.jpg

Grade: B+ - great flavor...I'm not sure which I liked more, Magic Hat or Harp...they both were delicious. Nice, sweet, and crisp....like my ex-gf's ass

I'm going to try this soon.

If you like the 90 Minute IPA, you'll like the Flying Dog DPA. Funny, too, because I was having a hard time choosing between getting the 90 and the Flying Dog. But since this is a Redskins NFCE MNF game, I had to go with the one with the higher ABV. :drool: (11.5%)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

It's Winter Time, Dogfish fans!

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout

chicory_2shot.JPG

Almost completely black...an extremely small ruby outline against a bright light. Head is tall and tan. Ring of lacing bleeding along the edge of the glass.

Aroma is roasty altogether. Espresso, milk chocolate and oatmeal are apparent. Smell livens up considerably when you swirl it around in the glass.

Flavor is a ton of roast. Lighter body than usual for a high level stout. Surprising mix, but one that grows on you. Notes of chocolate, toast and coffee with a eye-opening amount of citrusy hops. Damn!

Finish is roast, coffee and chocolate. Lasts a long time. Alcohol warmth does to. That's saying something for 5.2% ABV.

Even for Dogfish Head, this beer is unique. To me, this is one of the most enjoyable beers to decipher the flavors to. Dry, clean, carbonation is high but sleak. I usually dislike stouts with bodies this light, but this is an exception.

A- (92)

Had my second-ever Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged YETI stout last night. Great stout. Overall-roasty, tons of dark fruit, a ton of hops, dark chocolate, coffee. vanilla. The head on this beer is the craziest I've ever seen on a stout. Very rich chocolate colors that are layered in brightness. Strong body, a lot of carbonation for a stout. Good stuff. Gave it a 97/100 last time, this time I gave it a 96. Whatever, it's up there near the top.

Program Annoucement.......Brewmasters on Discovery Channel 10pm for you East Coasters

Join Sam Calagione, craft beer maestro and founder of Dogfish Head Brewery, as he and his partners in suds travel the world searching for exotic ingredients and discovering ancient techniques to produce beers of astounding originality.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/brew-masters/?#mkcpgn=semdsc6

I have no idea how good this program is but it premiers tonight

Edited by IHOPSkins

The weather around D.C. will be in the 30s next weekend. Start thinking Imperial Stouts, Bocks (preferably double and tripel bocks), Brown Ales and spiced brews. If you aren't sure what to choose at the store, take a beer out of the pack and read it. Some of them talk up their beer when it's not that good, so know trusted breweries before you go in. Around D.C., typical deli-type beer stores carry Dogfish Head, Flying Dog, Heavy Seas, Sierra Nevada and Samuel Adams. Beware that even the high level breweries have their toned-down brews. So remember what styles I listed.

Personally, I'm set on getting an Imperial Stout this weekend.

The K-9 Winter Ale from Flying Dog is a notch below the Sam Adams Winter Lager, but it's still decent.

I had this the other night. The first one I had, I wasn't too impressed with, but I poured the second one in a glass and got caught up doing something in the other room, when I came back and started to drink my beer, it was a hell of a lot better closer to room temp.