Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

So Sierra Nevada has a dark brown ale called "Tumbler" and wow, it's one fine blend. I'd go so far as to say it's just as tasty as their original Pale Ale. The perfect accompaniment to a fine steak. Check it out. I think it may just be a seasonal beer (but that's just a mktg scam anyhoo). Still worth the purchase.

I bought some of it this past weekend and I agree. I like it just as much as the Pale Ale. Obviously, it's very different but I'd give it the same grading on just general goodness of the beer.

Been a while since I reviewed this stuff. I see it for 8 bucks a 4-pack and wonder if I somehow overrated it last time. I like letting this beer sit at room temperature for about 15 minute before opening it. It really loses it's pop if it's too cold.

Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale

Sienna-colored with a soapy buff head. Golden tinge, sticky lacing.

Aroma surprises with a strong caramel malt mixed in well with sweet citrus, pine and flowers. Dank.

Taste is a squeeze of bitter grapefruit initially. Pine and grass back the citrus to make this one sharply-bitter brew. Malt is consistently noticeable; sugary caramel. Also getting a lot of burnt toast and some smoke on the aftertaste. All-around bad ass flavor.

Somewhat dry on the pallet. Alcohol starts to bite a couple seconds after the sip. Finishes with a relatively huge booze-burn on the back of the throat. Body is medium and carbonation is a touch above average.

The thing about this beer is that it's made to be an ass kicker. Reminds me of the approach Stone takes towards their beers. It punches with bitterness, retains hop flavor and pronounces with a crisped malt backing that's fun to explore. Like I've always said, I dunno about everyone else: around here it's $8.60 a 4-pack for this stuff. It's easily the best deal there is as far as I'm concerned.

A (95)

double-dog-bottle-glass.jpg

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Six pack of Sierra Nevada Tumbler today. A lot of spice to this brew with the malt and body a lot lighter than your normal brown ale. That's not a knock, it's a good combination. Getting a significant hop bitterness for this type of brew. The spice in this brew is where it's at.

Let's face it, the fall beers have been hitting shelves since late August. This beer would be great while watching a football game or chopping wood in october. Highly drinkable, refreshing. Good stuff.

SierraNevadaTumbler2.gif

I consider myself a Coors Light man, but I will drink whatever my friends have in the fridge if I am at their house, or if its free. But if I am buying I stick to Coors, Coors Light, Hook and Ladder golden ale or lighter, Bud Light, Budweiser, and Stella Artois.

I consider myself a Coors Light man, but I will drink whatever my friends have in the fridge if I am at their house, or if its free. But if I am buying I stick to Coors, Coors Light, Hook and Ladder golden ale or lighter, Bud Light, Budweiser, and Stella Artois.

If you are a Coors man, I cant believe you left Blue Moon off your list...its owned by them :pfft:

Steel Head Double IPA, by Mad River Brewing Company out of Humboldt California is probably one of the better double IPA's I've had. Tons of smells and a lingering tangerine sweetness that sticks around for a while.

I give this one a solid A, it easily belongs in the category of "BIG" beer.

Edited by GoSkins561

So Sierra Nevada has a dark brown ale called "Tumbler" and wow, it's one fine blend. I'd go so far as to say it's just as tasty as their original Pale Ale. The perfect accompaniment to a fine steak. Check it out. I think it may just be a seasonal beer (but that's just a mktg scam anyhoo). Still worth the purchase.
I bought some of it this past weekend and I agree. I like it just as much as the Pale Ale. Obviously, it's very different but I'd give it the same grading on just general goodness of the beer.
Six pack of Sierra Nevada Tumbler today. A lot of spice to this brew with the malt and body a lot lighter than your normal brown ale. That's not a knock, it's a good combination. Getting a significant hop bitterness for this type of brew. The spice in this brew is where it's at.

Let's face it, the fall beers have been hitting shelves since late August. This beer would be great while watching a football game or chopping wood in october. Highly drinkable, refreshing. Good stuff.

I don't know how much it cost you guys, but for $15.99 a six-pack, they can keep it. I'll wait until we hit Cali, in January, and try it then. It's probably cheap, and available in bombers, in California grocery stores

I don't know how much it cost you guys, but for $15.99 a six-pack, they can keep it. I'll wait until we hit Cali, in January, and try it then. It's probably cheap, and available in bombers, in California grocery stores

Wow, that's highway robbery. When you come out here go to Total Wine, they're starting to pop up on the West Coast. It's only $6.49 for the six pack of the stuff (although I'm noticing you can't find it everywhere). The price, I believe, is perhaps just a function of them not being a huge beer company (tho' some other beer experts could correct me on that comment).

Edited by deejaydana

Wow, that's highway robbery. When you come out here go to Total Wine, they're starting to pop up on the West Coast. It's only $6.49 for the six pack of the stuff (although I'm noticing you can't find it everywhere). The price, I believe, is perhaps just a function of them not being a huge beer company (tho' some other beer experts could correct me on that comment).

Amen! The owner of the liquor told me that the distributors are required to buy a minimum of 1000 cases of Sierra Nevada products. I believe it, as his beer prices are actually pretty good.. We go to S.Lake Tahoe every Jan/Feb and the prices for local beers, and selections, are very good at the grocery store in town. There's always a great selection of 22oz bombers, and that provides ample opportunity to try different beers. There's always deals on Sierra Nevada and Stone offerings.

The Beer Store here in Htown is selling 12 packs of the Tumbler for 13.99. You guys get hosed.

True. I just grabbed some beer for the tailgate, and snagged a 6 pack. It was $9.99. 12 packs are $15.99, but I'm not buying 12 of something that I'm not sure that I would like. I'm not a big fan of malty or spicy beers, but I'll give this one a try.

I can't wait until November when Sams starts brewing Winter Lager, I like it better than ANY single Sam's product...period.

So far Sam Adams Winter Lager is still my favorite lager, period. I picked up 24 before the second blizzard last winter. Wasn't enough. Gone by the second night. Great session beer.

True. I just grabbed some beer for the tailgate, and snagged a 6 pack. It was $9.99. 12 packs are $15.99, but I'm not buying 12 of something that I'm not sure that I would like. I'm not a big fan of malty or spicy beers, but I'll give this one a try.

I just finished one and I'm glad that I didn't buy a 12-pack. It's okay,(ands probably better when it's 45-50 degrees outside and we're sitting in the hottub), but I doubt I'll ever buy this stuff again.

8.88 a case? Not a fan but that's a great deal, not that it matters, but it must have been expired??

---------------------------------------------------

Had an Abita Turbo Dog last night, this is the first one of these I have had in a long time. I would actually highly recommend this to anyone who is trying to get into the world of micro brews, it's real easy going, has some great flavors and isn't over powering. The Abita Jacamo is pretty good as well.

The downside to Abita is their packaging lacks appeal, if they change their packaging, I think it would become very popular simply because it's so drinkable.

Got a six-pack of Newcastle this weekend. I was curious about it.

I must say, I've never had beer in clear bottles. I didn't expect it to really have that much of an effect. But I now know what skunkiness is when it comes to beer. After letting it air out a while it's not too bad, but still there. I feel like I've been deprived of a great-tasting beer. It's a shame.

I also got a six-pack of Yuengling black & tan this weekend. Might be my favorite beer.

Lancaster Hop Hog India Pale Ale Tonight.

This is an IPA that you could easily mistake for another style of beer. Mahogany color with a puffy tan head, smells and tastes like a double bock mixed with oktoberfest-style beer. Aroma and taste are both real nice, but again, are not very IPA-like. A lot of cinnamon and ginger and a strong caramel malt that has a moderate hop backing. Still looks and smells great ...a fairly hearty body on this thing.

This beer is perhaps the best fall beer I've had so far this season. It doesn't rely on the spices, they're just part of the equation. This stuff is real good.

B+ (88)

HHBottle.jpg

Interesting, I like the Lancaster Milk Stout a lot. The Hop Hog is one my least favorites that I have tried, you open it expecting an IPA and you get a bad nut brown ale. I had a very hard time finishing the 6 pack. I remember someone in this thead with a similar opinion saying they used it as beer batter.

BTW, supposedly this is a top seller at the beer store I prefer to visit.

Edited by GoSkins561

Interesting, I like the Lancaster Milk Stout a lot. The Hop Hog is one my least favorites that I have tried, you open it expecting an IPA and you get a bad nut brown ale. I had a very hard time finishing the 6 pack. I remember someone in this thead with a similar opinion saying they used it as beer batter.

BTW, supposedly this is a top seller at the beer store I prefer to visit.

I wouldn't say it's a bad nut brown ale, just a nut brown ale mixed with features from other styles of beer. I'm a huge fan of tasty hybrids. Whether you consider it tasty or not is all up to the taster's choice. I'd like to drink this on a fridged October night with the grill fired up.