Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Hey quick question for the Beer gurus on here, is it ok to drink beer that has been sitting your fridge for months but has an expired date on it? I have some Stella Atrois that expired on July 16th according to the bottles, and I didn't realize it was in my fridge because I was drinking other beer. I am thinking it should be ok, but any suggestions?

Hey quick question for the Beer gurus on here, is it ok to drink beer that has been sitting your fridge for months but has an expired date on it? I have some Stella Atrois that expired on July 16th according to the bottles, and I didn't realize it was in my fridge because I was drinking other beer. I am thinking it should be ok, but any suggestions?

It's fine, just not optimal. Some beers get better with age, some lose flavor. Any beer that relies on predominantly hops should be consumed as fresh as possible. I'm sure there are a couple exceptions, but it is a good rule of thumb. Darker beers generally age well. Go buy a "fresh" Stella and drink them side by side. See if you notice anything.

We expect a full report by Monday.

trying the dogfish head raison d'etre for the first time right now.

kind of intense.

any thoughts on this? one of the richer beers ive tried.

I think compared to most of Dogfishes' high-end stuff, it actually isn't that rich.

Compared to an American lager, yeah, it's rich.

I just got a four pack of Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale and a bottle of their Aprihop. Gonna try both for the first time tonight!

We landed in Ocean City about 2 hours ago. I picked up a 12 mixer of Victory, 12 Sierra Nevadas, 12 DFH 60 minutes and 18 ML's. Sitting on the dock drinking a 60 minute, it tastes damn good. I went up to the beach a little while ago and there's only about 25 feet of beach left and the waves are massive. (Easily double head high)

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

dogfish_head_punkin_ale.jpg

Pours an amber brown with a soapy off-white head. Aroma of cinnamon, brown sugar and pumpkin pie right away. Bam. Ginger, nutmeg and honey round it out. This smells like an excellent pumpkin pie!

Taste has a fair amount of hop strength; citrus and pine. Pumpkin pie and coinciding spices are the majority of the flavor. I think this beer could use more of a malt backbone, and it's pretty baffling that it's lacking in that department. This has some major potential.

The sturdy body and crackling carbonation kind of make up for the lack of malt in this brew, but it turns out to be a mostly spice-heavy beer in the end. It's definitely lively, which is why I think this would be a great late-fall beer; November, when the weather is around the 40s and 50s.

This beer could be in the elite range with a stronger malt backing, however it's still a beer that is easily enjoyable on a cold fall afternoon.

B (86)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I think compared to most of Dogfishes' high-end stuff, it actually isn't that rich.

Compared to an American lager, yeah, it's rich.

I just got a four pack of Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale and a bottle of their Aprihop. Gonna try both for the first time tonight!

Let me know what you think about the Aprihop, I really like it. But I tend to like fruitier beers once in a while. :paranoid:

Let me know what you think about the Aprihop, I really like it. But I tend to like fruitier beers once in a while. :paranoid:

I remember liking that one. It was just the right amount of apricot. I don't think I could drink more than 2 of them in a row though. Need to try it again.

:paranoid:

Now I think I'll pass on the MMA/beer get-together.

Dogfish Head Aprihop IPA

APRIHOP.jpg

Hazy rust color with a soapy, sandy brown head. A lot of lacing. Looking rich.

Aroma is excellent. Apricot is working perfectly with the citrus hops. Powerful, saturating smell. Some brown sugar and ginger in there as well. A slight caramel malt. Tropical; mouthwatering.

Taste is also excellent. Splash of citrus, pine and earth hops hits with firm bitterness. Undercurrent of apricot flavors are set at a perfect level. This is certainly an IPA, and certainly not a fruit beer. With that in mind, the apricot is mighty flavorful, and doesn't drown the hops out at all. Malt is caramel, and again, very subtle.

Body is average for an IPA, carbonation is as well. Finish is a highlight of the hops, and it lasts for a while.

This is once again a hell of an IPA from Dogfish Head. The apricot is at a perfect tone, the hops are delicious. A few things could use some minor tweaking in order to stand out. However, it's delicious as it is.

A (93)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I remember liking that one. It was just the right amount of apricot. I don't think I could drink more than 2 of them in a row though. Need to try it again.

This is once again a hell of an IPA from Dogfish Head. The apricot is at a perfect tone, the hops are delicious. A few things could use some minor tweaking in order to stand out. However, it's delicious as it is.

A (93)

I definitely agree about it having just the right amount of apricot. I could drink a few of them but I couldn't drink them all night...I guess that's why they come in packs of four.

Picked up some Heavy Seas Loose Cannon tonight...slapping some T-Bones on the grill with peas and potatoes on the side. Gonna probably poor two of these mommas in my tulip glass at a time. Very excite.

Well?? How do you like it? I'm drinking one right now. Unfortunately, it's from a bottle because my keg blew last weekend. I think I'm going to put Victory Hop Devil back in the rotation.

Speaking of Heavy Seas....a bunch of us are headed there tomorrow for the Bacon Beer Fest. We went to it last year and it kicked ass! Basically, it's a big party at the brewerey that features a couple of the best things in the world, beer and bacon. In addition to their staples, they've brewed some special beers and ales just for the event....here's a blurb from the Heavy Seas web-site:

"Pirates, Pigs & Pints!

Our favorite fest of them all! 10+ Bacons from around the world and dishes made with bacon from the area's best restaurants. Be sure to dress like a pirate to help us celebrate "Talk Like a Pirate Day". There will be a contest & prizes for the Best Dressed Pirate!

Our Heavy Seas Beer & Bacon Fest ~ Pyrates, Pigs & Pints will feature some creative firkins! Here's the list:

Loose Cannon from a 55 gallon bourbon barrel – pouring directly from that barrel

Loose Cannon – the same recipe that we sent to GBBF where it won 2nd place CAMRA

Great’er Pumpkin served from a giant pumpkin which our firkin guy grew in his garden

Heavy Seas Pale Ale with added local hops

‘Mystery’ firkin! a secret blend of beers.

~ Live Music

"All you care to taste" beer & bacon, food made with bacon, plus bacon, bacon, bacon."

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Well?? How do you like it? I'm drinking one right now. Unfortunately, it's from a bottle because my keg blew last weekend. I think I'm going to put Victory Hop Devil back in the rotation.

Damn, I'm so envious that you get the Loose Cannon in kegs. Just awesome. This is my second review on it, which I just wrote up...

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA

hop3.jpg

Beautiful golden pour, looks fantastic in a glass. Mildly hazy, soapy off-white head.

This is simply one of those really high level IPA aromas. In general, it somewhat smells like a white wine. Has a Belgian Wit complex for sure; coriander and orange peel. Pine and citrus hops for sure, lightly toasted malt in the background. Fairly strong, full aroma.

Man, taste is a slice of pine, citrus and grass. A little subdued, again, a Belgian complex. Toasty malt again, earthy, excellent balance. Candy in there as well, sweet sugars and a little cookie dough at the finish.

Body is perfect, slightly above medium, carbonation is also. Full bodied, but goes down very easily (dirty minds ignore last comment).

This beer is so easy to drink while being extremely enjoyable at the same time. Considering it's a hefty IPA, that's saying something. While IPAs are not known to match up well with many foods, this goes great with some steak and BBQ sauce. It's easily become one of my favorite beers to have for dinner.

And while in certain aspects it's not a world class beer, it's certainly well-rounded enough to be in the elite category.

A (95)

Picked up 6 raging *****, 6 DFH 60 minutes, 4 DFH Punkins and 12 pack Victory mixer that includes 4 Hop devils, 4 golden monkeys and 4 Prima Pils.

The Victory mixed 12 pack is by far the best mixed 12 pack I have had yet. The Prima Pils is the best Pilsner I have tried(solid A), the Golden Monkey and the Hop Devil are both excellent as well. The Golden Monkey is a Belgian Style Ale that has an expiration of 2013, yeah, a few of these wil do a number on you at 9.5 percent. All 3 are great beers and for 15.99 this 12 pack is a steal.

Bought a 6er of Smithwicks the other night, it's nice going back to one of the first beers that I've ever tried. The floral notes are something that I didn't notice the first time. As the description on the bottle says, a nice smooth ale. Moderate carbonation that keeps the pleasant aromas flowing in the glass throughout the drinking experience. A nice medium body that doesn't leave the mouth too dry nor too greasy. An all around nice brew that is accented with its caramel color and bone white head. Definitely easy to sit down with some friends and enjoy over the evening.

Got some Schlitz to guzzle for the game tonight. Like this stuff a lot better than big-name crap that costs $2 to $6 more.

It's crazy to think that Schlitz was once the best selling beer. Schlitz & Bud were like Coke & Pepsi until Schlitz did the unthinkable and changed the brewing method.

So Sierra Nevada has a dark brown ale called "Tumbler" and wow, it's one fine blend. I'd go so far as to say it's just as tasty as their original Pale Ale. The perfect accompaniment to a fine steak. Check it out. I think it may just be a seasonal beer (but that's just a mktg scam anyhoo). Still worth the purchase.