Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Tried a few new beers lately:

Sierra Nevada Stout: Wow, I can safely say that this is one of the best beers I've ever had. $7.40 a 6-pack at the liquor store. This beer has such a great roasted flavor and a perfect, balanced taste of hops. You can certainly taste the hops but it's not overwhelming like an IPA. Tastes like coffee and chocolate (like most stouts), but the hops gives it just the right amount of sweetness.

Shiner Blonde: This didn't do anything for me. It was almost tasteless, even less than say a Miller Lite or Natty Bo. At least those companies are proud to brew Mercury in their stuff. This beer was smooth but simply had a weak taste. Seriously, I'd describe it but there's nothing that stood out besides the thought of, "what the hell?"

Budweiser American Ale: Got a few of these in the summer when the pocket was thin because the store is selling 24 oz bottles for $1.60. Just picked up a few more and got sick of it after a few bottles. Still, a relatively good effort from a major beer company. They put a dash of malts and hops in to it, although it's pretty much as basic as it gets.

Bud Lite Lime: Girlfriend loves this stuff, and I don't mind nabbing a swig. Tastes more like limes than beer, the carbonation seems much less noticeable than a regular Bud Lite. Nothing special, put some vodka in a lemonade and let's move on.

Schaefer Beer: Got this because it was in the cheap beer section and never heard of it. It tastes like corn and is smoother than its mega-corporation counterparts. A little more frothy, but nonetheless in the same league.

Miller Genuine Draft 64: Got this because if I somehow liked it, I would be able to cut out a good amount of workouts it takes to burn off beer-carbs. This is probably the worst beer I've ever had. A thin fog has more of a body than this stuff. The taste is of sink water that has been settled in the faucet overnight and a dash of Novocaine, literally. It finishes with a taste of such blandness that it feels like your tongue has been ever-so-slightly numbed by the dentist. The froth may be there, it may not, I didn't want to look...but it's almost like FROTH is all you're drinking. Pass on this like the Road Runner running by an ACME trap. It's completely overpriced, even for how cheap it is. You want something light that gets you buzzed as much as this stuff? Go with O'Dules N/A.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Tried a few new beers lately:

Sierra Nevada Stout: Wow, I can safely say that this is one of the best beers I've ever had. $7.40 a 6-pack at the liquor store. This beer has such a great roasted flavor and a perfect, balanced taste of hops. You can certainly taste the hops but it's not overwhelming like an IPA. Tastes like coffee and chocolate (like most stouts), but the hops gives it just the right amount of sweetness.

Shiner Blonde: This didn't do anything for me. It was almost tasteless, even less than say a Miller Lite or Natty Bo. At least those companies are proud to brew Mercury in their stuff. This beer was smooth but simply had a weak taste. Seriously, I'd describe it but there's nothing that stood out besides the thought of, "what the hell?"

Budweiser American Ale: Got a few of these in the summer when the pocket was thin because the store is selling 24 oz bottles for $1.60. Just picked up a few more and got sick of it after a few bottles. Still, a relatively good effort from a major beer company. They put a dash of malts and hops in to it, although it's pretty much as basic as it gets.

Bud Lite Lime: Girlfriend loves this stuff, and I don't mind nabbing a swig. Tastes more like limes than beer, the carbonation seems much less noticeable than a regular Bud Lite. Nothing special, put some vodka in a lemonade and let's move on.

Schaefer Beer: Got this because it was in the cheap beer section and never heard of it. It tastes like corn and is smoother than its mega-corporation counterparts. A little more frothy, but nonetheless in the same league.

Miller Genuine Draft 64: Got this because if I somehow liked it, I would be able to cut out a good amount of workouts it takes to burn off beer-carbs. This is probably the worst beer I've ever had. A thin fog has more of a body than this stuff. The taste is of sink water that has been settled in the faucet overnight and a dash of Novocaine, literally. It finishes with a taste of such blandness that it feels like your tongue has been ever-so-slightly numbed by the dentist. The froth may be there, it may not, I didn't want to look...but it's almost like FROTH is all you're drinking. Pass on this like the Road Runner running by an ACME trap. It's completely overpriced, even for how cheap it is. You want something light that gets you buzzed as much as this stuff? Go with O'Dules N/A.

Good write-ups man.

I've refused to try the 64 and now I'm definitely not trying it, not even if someone else pays for it. Regular MGD tastes like dog**** as it is and I can't imagine even the best beer out there tasting good when it's watered down to have only 64 calories.

In fact, Miller's entire line of products are disgusting. Miller Lite, High Life, MGD, etc. All of it tastes like it was made with well water that's high in iron.

I was surprised by the Bud American ale. It was pretty good for a Budweiser product but tasted like they were making a stab at something to intentionally taste like Sam Adams. Even though the American Ale is decent, I would still rather throw down the extra dough for Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Never had the Shiner Blonde or the Schaefer.

The Sierra Stout is delicious though. The BLL is ok if you're at a 4th of July party and pounding beers down.

Good writeup overall though man, I pretty much agree with everything.

Thanks QBK :)

I got the Samuel Adams Brewmasters Variety Pack yesterday. I can safely say that I disliked every beer:

Blackberry Witbier: Tasted and felt like Seltzer water with a small-time splash of blackberry. The worst of the bunch.

Black Lager: Tasted like liqorice and had a watery feel, usually like black lagers but this one was like watered down Twizzlers in a bottle.

Red Ale: Tastes kind of like a Killians, but not as good. Another one that has a hint of Twizzler in it. WTF. I went to get a 6 pack of beer and instead got a few bags of candy.

Still waiting on the Winter Lager to hit shelves. From now I'll only trust the Boston Lager.

Still waiting on the Winter Lager to hit shelves. From now I'll only trust the Boston Lager.

Winter Lager is out at the Liquor Store I go to. That actually had a Holiday 12 Pack. It has Winter Lager, Holiday Porter, Boston Lager, Old Fezziwig, Cranberry Lambic (which was horrible!), and I can't remember the last one. But it wasn't bad. The Cranberry Lambic was awful though. Too much cranberry for me.

i can't believe its already winter lager time...

do they stop selling octoberfest as soon as november rolls around?

I think they just sell whatever they have left, probably don't get any more shipments in.

Edit: On their website it says its available from late August until November. Winter Lager is available from November to January.

Edited by MattFancy

Do you guys get Magic Hat down there? It's from Vermont I believe and getting pretty popular here. It's fantastic.

The No 9 and now the Winter Brew is killing it. I didn't like the summer beer, Wacko though.

Also, the folks who make Victory beers are just sick people. Everything they make is high in alcohol. They have even told me they are sick people. OLS

Do you guys get Magic Hat down there? It's from Vermont I believe and getting pretty popular here. It's fantastic.

The No 9 and now the Winter Brew is killing it. I didn't like the summer beer, Wacko though.

Also, the folks who make Victory beers are just sick people. Everything they make is high in alcohol. They have even told me they are sick people. OLS

They have it on tap at a bunch of bars down here. I've had it a few times, not too bad.

• 4 weeks later...

I just tapped a keg of Victory Hop Devil a couple of weeks ago.

It does have a relatively high ABV of 6.7%, but it's so flavorful, that you don't even notice it.

It's actually replaced Clipper City's Loose Cannon as my "house" beer.

Everytime this thread is resurrected, I feel like having a beer.....