Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I usually go on a beer run during lunch on Fridays. Usually I will get a sixer or bomber of something Ive never had before, usually an expensive imperial stout or barrel aged old ale. Today, a lot of my tried and true easy drinkers were fresh and im kinda happy about it. Fresh sculpin, fresh grapefruit sculpin, fresh laguinitas sucks and 2 bottles of maines something beautiful. All tasty easy drinkers and I might even wake up tomorrow not sluggish. 

We just spent 10 days in Europe, split between Ireland and London.  The beers over there are fantastic.    People say that the Guinness in Ireland tastes better.  It's true.  It tastes great.  I drank lot of it.  

The Irish, and Brits, really have their act together, when it comes to beer.  I love the imperial pints, (20 oz).  We hit a lot of pubs, and I tried as many different beers as humanly possible.  Most of them have a lot of taps.  The "real ales" are very, very good.  With the exception of one bottle, and one can, all I drank was draft beer.     It was beer Nirvana

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

The Irish, and Brits, really have their act together, when it comes to beer.  I love the imperial pints, (20 oz).  We hit a lot of pubs, and I tried as many different beers as humanly possible.  Most of them have a lot of taps.  The "real ales" are very, very good.  With the exception of one bottle, and one can, all I drank was draft beer.     It was beer Nirvana

Sounds like you may have had a few, so may not necessarily remember, but I'd be interested to hear if any stood out in particular for you. Glad to hear you're a fan of our beers. We're currently in a great erase for UK beer and choice is getting better than ever.

13 hours ago, my_friend_goo said:

Sounds like you may have had a few, so may not necessarily remember, but I'd be interested to hear if any stood out in particular for you. Glad to hear you're a fan of our beers. We're currently in a great erase for UK beer and choice is getting better than ever.

I enjoyed every one of them.  I think I snapped pics, of some of the taps, especially the ones that I liked in particular.  When we start wading through them.   The one bottle that I had was in Bath  "bath ales Darkside"   It's a dark, dry beer.   Very, very good.  I'll try to remember the others.  I drank the "real ales" most of all, as we can't get any of them at home.  

• 3 weeks later...

Last week I was at Tapp'd Bethesda (cool bar by the way), and I had the New Belgium Citradelic Tangerine IPA on tap.  Really enjoyed it, got that dry bite of citrus hops on the first sip.  Crisp tingly mouthfeel.  Had about six pints of that and went home drunk and happy.  Very good beer.

Walmart has gotten into the craft beer market.  They have introduced their private label beer, brewed under contract by something called Trouble Brewing - which really isn't a brewery, it's essentially a fake name created by North American Breweries, which brews beer brands  Dundee, Genessee, Honey Brown, Imperial, Labatt Blue, Labatt Blue Light, Labatt Blue Light Lime, Magic Hat, Portland Brewing, and Pyramid. 

A 12-pack of Walmart beer comes with four different styles - 'Round Midnight Belgian White, Cat's Away IPA, After Party Pale Ale, and the Red Flag Amber.

Walmarts-new-Beer-is-brewed-by-Trouble-B

A 12 pack costs 12 or 13 bucks.

Here's one blogger's review:

https://underthejenfluence.beer/i-tried-it/2016/8/15/i-tried-it-walmarts-private-label-beer

9 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Walmart has gotten into the craft beer market.  They have introduced their private label beer, brewed under contract by something called Trouble Brewing - which really isn't a brewery, it's essentially a fake name created by North American Breweries, which brews beer brands  Dundee, Genessee, Honey Brown, Imperial, Labatt Blue, Labatt Blue Light, Labatt Blue Light Lime, Magic Hat, Portland Brewing, and Pyramid. 

A 12-pack of Walmart beer comes with four different styles - 'Round Midnight Belgian White, Cat's Away IPA, After Party Pale Ale, and the Red Flag Amber.

Walmarts-new-Beer-is-brewed-by-Trouble-B

A 12 pack costs 12 or 13 bucks.

Here's one blogger's review:

https://underthejenfluence.beer/i-tried-it/2016/8/15/i-tried-it-walmarts-private-label-beer

That guys review sounds like what I thought it would taste like. 

Rodmans right now has a mismarked sale item - 12 pack cans of Bells Two Hearted for $8.99. Im pretty sure they meant to put the 4 pack of 16 oz cans on the $8.99 sale but got it mixed up. 

5 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

That guys review sounds like what I thought it would taste like. 

Rodmans right now has a mismarked sale item - 12 pack cans of Bells Two Hearted for $8.99. Im pretty sure they meant to put the 4 pack of 16 oz cans on the $8.99 sale but got it mixed up. 

WHERE?  I'll go there and buy the entire stock.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

WHERE?  I'll go there and buy the entire stock.

rodmans on wisconsin ave. 

I got a case, I felt like such a jerk. Also the dob on the Two Hearted is 11/21/16 .. soooo fresh. 

You can also get a bottle of Hardywood's gingerbreadman stout and Wicked Weed's dipa Freak of Nature, gose, a chocolate porter and a whole bunch of their expensive sours. 

They also got Breury's so it happened on a tuesday.  

edit - I got the two hearted yesterday so I dont know if they caught on just yet. they may have. 

edit - also on line right now you can get Toppling Goliaths Pseudo Sue (my fav crushable beer, love that stuff) and Surly's dipa Abbrasive. 

Edited by Why am I Mr. Pink?

• 2 weeks later...

Clown Shoes brewery turns 7 this month so they are rolling out a variation of their dipa Space Cake with Space Cake #7 where they use 7 diff hops diff ways. I really like Clown Shoes and their offerings so Im going to grab a few bottles. 

Sucks, I got some Surly Abbrassive but its almost 60 days old and you can tell it has turned and is on the decline. Guess I will have to crush them this weekend. 

Can you drink on a Z pack? 

edit - space cake # 7 write up -- http://tenemu.com/news/clown-shoes-celebrating-seven-years-with-space-cake-7-in-december/10/2016

Well that was dumb. Between drinking beer over the weekend, not strictly complying with the times I was supposed to take the various pills and going to the MNF game .... my pneumonia didnt get cured.

Anyone have anything special for the holidays?

I got a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County stout, just a regular bottle. My lady went behind my back and drank my Praire Bomb which I was saving for xmas eve. Rodmans has the "rare" version for $95 which has great reviews but $95 for 1 bottle is out of my tax bracket.  Tried a couple bottles of Clown Shoes Space Cake #7, a  variation of their space cake celebrating their 7th year in the biz. Really good, slightly thinner than reg space cake with less malt but more floral/fruity hop nose to it.

If perfect pour doesnt tap their keg of Alpine Nelson by christmas eve, I might just buy a bunch of bottles of space cake #7. 

Check these awesome gifts out. 

http://www.newschoolbeer.com/2016/12/ten-beer-gadgets-add-holiday-wish-list.html

I am thinking about buying that fizzics waytap.  That item was on sharktank a few weeks ago

also a great idea my friends and i thought of for the holidays.  Each of us brings the number of beers for the number of people at the party.  Then we all exchange with each other to have the number of different beers to try

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Skinz4Life12 said:

Alpine Nelson is the ****. This thread makes me want to drive out to Alpine next week and tour their brewery

Nelson is damn good. So is Duet and Pure Hoppiness. Alpine does hops well. Might have to get another growler of Nelson tonight. 

Also snagged a bottle of Bells Black Note Stout, my fav BA stout. 

Czla03xXAAEHOuP.jpg:large

I picked up a bottle of the seizoen on the left and as I was driving back to the office I started thinking "when did alpine start doing saisons, they are really stepping out of their comfort zone" . . .. i get to office and google "alpine saison" and didnt find anything.

Apparently that is not alpine but from a farmhouse brewery in Oregon. Doesnt that look exactly like alpine labels?

Anyways, im more excited now. A farmhouse ale from a farmhouse in oregon? Yes please!

Also, I left one bottle of wicked weeds freak of nature at magruders, I hate being the guy that cleans a store of a hard to get beer. 

cheers and new years!

edit - I came in here to post that i find a good bottle of saison for $14 or so is a much better alt to champaigne for holiday events. 

14 minutes ago, Skinz4Life12 said:

Headed to my local beach bar after work to watch the fight. Might start off with an alesmith .394 or just go straight for a duet

What's your duet?  Mine is a Sam Adams cherry wheat mixed with a SA cream stout, lol 

I saw something I think might be amazing - Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout. Anyone tried it? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

What's your duet?  Mine is a Sam Adams cherry wheat mixed with a SA cream stout, lol 

I saw something I think might be amazing - Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout. Anyone tried it? 

I have, and it's pretty good.  It came as part of a Blue Moon sampler 12-pack.

• Like 1