Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

2 hours ago, grego said:

that narrows it down. so, miller lite?

porters, stouts ,bocks,ales, belgian whites....anything but grapefruit and grass hoppy headed nonsense.

miller is better than bud, but neither are good 

14 hours ago, grego said:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/i-finally-understand-what-band-aid-tastes-like.152804/

hard to describe, but its one of those things- you know it when you encounter it. its a plastic-like, medicinal aroma and flavor. yuck.

its definitely not uncommon, but more common in homebrew gone bad. but, this is the fourth time I've gotten a bad six pack from a brewery.

have you had raging ****? if so, how did it taste? ive had it several times and that beer has always had that same odd taste to me- very strong. I know these flavors are found to some degree in Belgian styie ales, and I'm just super sensitive to them.

I've had it, it tasted fine to me.  Flying Dog isn't my favorite brewery but they're certainly good and I've never felt like I had a bad batch.

The only times I can recall beers having outright unpleasant tastes are obviously skunked beers.

On 8/11/2016 at 7:39 AM, grego said:

have you had raging ****? if so, how did it taste? ive had it several times and that beer has always had that same odd taste to me- very strong. I know these flavors are found to some degree in Belgian styie ales, and I'm just super sensitive to them.

Same here.  It has that incense-like taste, and aftertaste, that's inherent in many Belgian style beers.  As far as my palate is concerned, anyway.  

I also notice off-flavors, very easily, in beers and food.  It's kind of strange.   I have a very acute sense of smell.  I often pick up odors, that others around me can't.  I'm ultra-sensitive to subtle changes in smell and taste.  It's a blessing, and a curse.  Off smells can gross me out.   It drives my wife nuts, especially when we're out.  

. When I'm having a glass of beer, and if it's exposed to sunlight, even for a very short while, I can taste the change in the flavor profile, as it edges towards skunkiness.   Trust me, a beer can start to skunk, in less than a minute.   It sounds weird but, to me anyway, it does.   The taste of beer changes, and can change quickly.  

I think most of it boils down to how the beer is handled, after it leaves the brewery and mis-handling of it is the reason that the exact same beer, can taste so different.    I'm willing to bet that everyone in this thread has had a beer, that tasted great and, down the road, had that same beer, and it did not taste the same at all.   It happens to me, more often than I'd like.   That's why I'm obsessive about checking dates, and won't buy much European beer, unless it's packaged in cans, or brown bottles.         

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Well, that makes me feel a little better, at least. Just must be sensitive to some things. 

Come to think of it, last year at my job, I got some water from a water cooler - one of those where you put the 5 gallon jug on top upside-down. I immediately tasted something funny. I realized it was 'simple green'  - I'd used it before and didn't really like the way it smelled. Turns out the water refill guy had cleaned the dispenser with simple green an hour before. 

I asked everyone what was up with the water, even getting them fresh cups of water to try nobody could taste it. They thought I was nuts and I felt likewise. 

When I was young, every time my mom ran the dishwasher, there was this odd smell. I would always mention it, but nobody else noticed it. 

Weird. 

I still kind of think there's some either /or connection as far as people who don't like hoppy beers and people who love Belgian or wheat ales. But it's definitely not consistent. Lots of people like both 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grego said:

Weird. 

I still kind of think there's some either /or connection as far as people who don't like hoppy beers and people who love Belgian or wheat ales. But it's definitely not consistent. Lots of people like both 

genetics, kinda like with cilantro

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/why-does-cilantro-taste-bad-like-soap_n_7653808.html

Edited by twa
  • Like 1

My little town and region in general is having a microbrewery revolution. We had 2 new microbrew/restaurants just open in town and we already had one that did pretty well. Beyond, up north, toward Erie, there's a handful of really good ones that are doing well. It's a great time to be a beer lover up here. 

Additionally, my brother-in-law's best friend has brews his own too. He's trying to get into more places, but he brews legit stuff. 

https://untappd.com/ConnyCreekBrewing

On 8/12/2016 at 7:57 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

That's why I'm obsessive about checking dates, and won't buy much European beer, unless it's packaged in cans, or brown bottles.         

Yeah, I generally dont buy beer that is more than 30 days old unless its a stout, sour or old ale. I know Im a beer snob but for the prices we are paying, i want to drink the best when its best or I dont drink at all (i raid my stout stash or just go w RAR or manor hill or dc brau). 

What gets me is how many "craft" beers stores keep most of their stock at room temp (DTC, perfect pour, rodmans). I understand walk ins cost money outside of Bo Brooks in balt city, there is way too much room temp storage. 

I wanna kick my own ass after reading how much of a demanding **** i have become. 

• Like 1

“It’s kind of become beer snobbery, which isn’t always great sometimes. It’s fun. You can really enjoy the complexities of good beer."

Veldheer doesn’t have one favorite beer; he says he has a top 25. He was kidding, but only kind of. Three of his all-time favorites are Russian River Brewing Company’s Pliny the Elder, Bell’s Two Hearted Ale and Founders All Day IPA. He also likes sour beers from Russian River. Because Pliny the Elder is a rare find outside of Northern California, it’s become one of the beers Veldheer likes to try to clone. “The clone tastes really good," he said. "I don’t know if it’s quite the same, but it tasted quite good.” Another beer Veldheer has cloned is Alchemist’s Heady Topper. Cloning a beer is as easy as going online, finding a recipe and brewing, Veldheer said.

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/21598/cardinals-lt-jared-veldheer-has-award-winning-hobby-homebrewing

I cant lie, it kinda makes me feel better knowing that even a millionaire NFL player cant get pliny or heady topper and has to revert to cloning. 

---------------------

drinking some really fresh alpine duet the past few weeks, soo good soo fresh. Just hard to find it fresh around here. 

Edited by Why am I Mr. Pink?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Boozy pipe dream becomes reality for Belgian beer lovers

http://wtop.com/food/2016/09/boozy-pipe-dream-becomes-reality-for-belgian-beer-lovers/

Jesus christ, 2 miles? Im not even sure a half barrel (15.5 gallons) would fill a beer line 2 miles long! seriously ~~
and cleaning that line when the time comes? hahahaha what a freaking nightmare!!~!

Edited by DButz65

Rodmans in DC got a shipment of wicked weed - sours, old ales, etc. I didnt think they did distribution anywhere near here (outside of their collab they did w DTC or something like that). 

expensive. sours were 19.99 a bottle. i got 2 bottles of their highly rated barrel aged old ale at 12.99 each. Really excited to try it tonight. Should have gotten a few more for cellar/gifts but money is kinda tight and i didnt want to be that guy that clears a shelf of a hard to get beer. they still have a few bottles left.  

also fresh two hearted is out and about. 

anyone on untappd? 

On 9/23/2016 at 11:33 AM, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Rodmans in DC got a shipment of wicked weed - sours, old ales, etc. I didnt think they did distribution anywhere near here (outside of their collab they did w DTC or something like that). 

expensive. sours were 19.99 a bottle. i got 2 bottles of their highly rated barrel aged old ale at 12.99 each. Really excited to try it tonight. Should have gotten a few more for cellar/gifts but money is kinda tight and i didnt want to be that guy that clears a shelf of a hard to get beer. they still have a few bottles left.  

also fresh two hearted is out and about. 

anyone on untappd? 

We just picked wicked weed up! Premium of DC and VA! I have not had a chance to sample their beers yet

We also carry Foothills out of NC as well, good stuff

Edited by DButz65
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2016 at 11:21 PM, DButz65 said:

We just picked wicked weed up! Premium of DC and VA! I have not had a chance to sample their beers yet

We also carry Foothills out of NC as well, good stuff

Ive tried about 5 of WW offerings and they are all really really good. Is there a pattern to their shipments? I was told that they (they = guys like you in the distribution biz) dont know when or what they get. They juts get what ever WW sends them. So far it seems like they do DC shipments about every 2-3 weeks. 

The harvest ales are out and about as well. 

Edited by Why am I Mr. Pink?

10 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Ive tried about 5 of WW offerings and they are all really really good. Is there a pattern to their shipments? I was told that they (they = guys like you in the distribution biz) dont know when or what they get. They juts get what ever WW sends them. So far it seems like they do DC shipments about every 2-3 weeks. 

The harvest ales are out and about as well. 

I do not know how the shipments work at all, not my department :)> Im sure

its between the supplier, the brewery and us on what gets shipped and how much

• Like 1

Hello beer - my old friend,

I think we are going to be seeing a lot more of each other over the next few weeks. Kinda rough time right now. Thank you. 

remaining truly yours, 

Mr. Pink

(Goose Island Bourbon Co Stout comes out black friday, Nov 25 and will be available for sure in MD, so I assume in DC as well. I was able to buy unlimited bottles last year so Im not going to stand in line for a limited bottle release and hope I will again be able to buy unlimited bottles this year as well -- hoping the infection scare wasnt the only reason the bottles stayed on the shelves and didnt fly off last year)