Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Build your own 6 pack at Wegmans. Got Blue Mountain's Hopwork Orange IPA, Flying Dog's Siracha Pale Ale (curious about this one), and a root beer beer whose name escapes me. Low expectations for that last one, but still interested to see the execution.

Was it "Not your father's root beer"? Just picked up a six of that yesterday and haven't gotten into it yet. I imagine it could be pretty good; my brother brewed an alcoholic root beer a couple years ago that was decent (though the alcohol content was pretty low)

Was it "Not your father's root beer"? Just picked up a six of that yesterday and haven't gotten into it yet. I imagine it could be pretty good; my brother brewed an alcoholic root beer a couple years ago that was decent (though the alcohol content was pretty low)

Yep that's it. Still sitting in my fridge, should crack it open sometime this week.

Went to the Marlyand Craft Beer Festival this past Sat in Frederick. It was really good. They had a nice set-up at the city's riverwalk-type area. Of course, the big players like Heavy Seas and Flying Dog were there and had great stuff. (For Example, Heavy Seas had Blackbeard's Breakfast - a really good coffee porter, that wasn't too rich/overpowering. Was popular & one I never had before.)

There was a big roster of breweries there. Some of the other breweries that I wasn't familiar with, that had good stuff were:

Monument City Brewing - They had a rye ale that was solid

Union Craft Brewery

So, cheers to MD

Union Craft Brewing Chessie is an outstanding barleywine. Another one to buy if you see it. Wish I had gotten more than one to stash away.

• Like 1

I wish MD allowed the sale of beer/wine in grocery stores. :(  No such thing at the Wegman's up here.

The only county they do sell beer/wine in MD grocery stores in, is in montgomery county

Edited by DButz65

Not true, other counties do sell beer in MD.  I know OC groceries sell it for one.  That's in Worcester county.

Well on the left side of the bay, I havent been over on the right in over 10 years lol

Anyone who the App Untapped?  Just got onto it and its a neat app.

Did anyone go to the Beer Festival in St Michaels??

I have it, super handy for keeping track of the beers you have had. Not sure if you have had a beer or what you thought of it the first time? BAM!

It has saved me many a time from making the same mistake again haha.

You guys back east have some weird screwed up laws.  Can't buy beer at the grocery store?  Who the hell ever thought that was a good idea and why did anyone vote for them?

Its mainly just Maryland, they are so weird.

For the longest time I thought PA had horrible laws, but you can now get some awesome stuff in PA grocery stores for great prices.

I think it's worse in the south where you can't buy liquor on Sundays.  In MD, you can go to a liquor store 7 days a week and purchase whatever you want.

NM Is very heavily Catholic, we still have blue laws though they've been whittled down over the years to not selling liquor before noon on Sunday, so I can understand that.  Up until about 15 or 20 years ago they didn't sell on sunday at all.  We used to routinely drive to Texas to buy beer on sunday, thankful we had that option where I live.  But having special stores, with what I assume must be bad hours, bad prices and bad service, to sell booze.  Maybe it has to do with moonshine or something?  That was never a thing here.

I think it's worse in the south where you can't buy liquor on Sundays.  In MD, you can go to a liquor store 7 days a week and purchase whatever you want.

we have whole counties where no alcohol is sold period, I order beer at 11 am just because I can.

we have whole counties where no alcohol is sold period, I order beer at 11 am just because I can.

Living near El Paso, Texas has always been, to me, more liberal than NM.  Used to be a lower drinking age, sales on Sunday, head shops and strip clubs etc. That enlightenment ends by about Midland/Odessa till you get to the big cities.  

Can't say I ever suffered for fun things to do when I've visited including my share of morning red beers.   :lol:

I know what you mean about kooky booze laws. Lived in Utah for 25 years. :)  Moved here to Nevada,and imagine my excitement,(it's the little things in life),when I walked in to the grocery stores and realized that any time I wanted,I can go to the store and get some wine,beer,whiskey,ect. along with that rotisserie chicken. ;) As I've mentioned in this thread before,there are two independent booze stores within walking distance of the house,(one specializes in wine and all kinds of craft beers),and 1 locally made wine store. Hell this time of year,from May to September,they have what is called Thirsty Third Thursday. You buy a couple of glasses,and then walk Main Street for a couple of miles and get samples of wine while visiting locally owned businesses. Won't even discuss Carson Valley days this weekend. Let's just say there's no open container law in this town. :)

Nope. There's a grocery store here in St Mary's County that sells alcohol. There's also a gas station that sells it.

Define alcohol? And where? I call BS, I used to work for 8 different distributors, in charles, st marys, calvert,  southern AA, southern PG lol