Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

The Beer Meister: Chocolate nectar of the gods

In the sacred book of the Mayans, they refer to an intoxicating beverage that was drunk with “great solemnity and gravity” called xocolᾱtl. The Spanish chronicler Sahagun described it as something “not drunk unthinkingly.”

The Mayans prepared their xocolᾱtl in many ways with most of them involving mixing hot or tepid water with toasted and ground cacao beans, maize and any number of ingredients such as chili, honey, vanilla and a wide variety of spices. These ingredients were then mixed together and beaten with a stick or aerated by pouring the xocolᾱtl from one bowl to another.

If the cacao was rich in quality, this produced a rich head of foam. This head was then set aside, the drink aerated again which produced another head, which was also set aside and then placed on top of the drink along with the rest of the foam before serving.

Xocolᾱtl, sounds good doesn’t it? So how can we all try this sweet ancient brew? Unfortunately we can’t, but we can taste something that I think may be pretty darn close. Southern Tier Brewing Company has taken this ancient Mayan recipe and has come up with their version called Choklat.

EP-304069986.jpg

Taste: If you are in love with chocolate, then OMG, this beer is for you. At first taste, you get hit right in the taste buds with nothing but chocolate. However, as the chocolate barrage dies down, you will taste slight hints of cherry along with a woodsy flavor. Once all these delicious flavors start to subside, you will get the traditional Southern Tier after bite. It’s not as nippy as an IPA, but you will know that it is there.

Click on the link for the full article
  • Like 1

From the depths of the earth leap flames of destruction.  When time is of the essence, the Hellfighter boldly steps in the line of danger.  Whether or not he's insane is not important now.  It's with intensity and aggression that the Hellfighter taunts the blaze of almost certain doom.

Our Imperial Porter is much the same.  Robust and black as oil, Hellfighter Imperial Porter, with roasted coffee and chocolate malt characteristics, finishes what it started.  This explosion of flavors will extinguish even a Texas-sized penchant for boldness.  Drink carefully, but drink often.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZ0DK4-Q4I_3cwptFRCXxdciSn5P4xMgyRUDUkGrJF7mQvGS56gQ

The Beer Meister: Chocolate nectar of the gods

The Mayans prepared their xocolᾱtl in many ways with most of them involving mixing hot or tepid water with toasted and ground cacao beans, maize and any number of ingredients such as chili, honey, vanilla and a wide variety of spices. These ingredients were then mixed together and . Southern Tier Brewing Company has taken this ancient Mayan recipe and has come up with their version called Choklat.

EP-304069986.jpg

Yeah China, the Choklat is a popular beer, and my favorite stout thus far.

Southern Tier won USA Today's best brewery in America tournament. Beat Founder's in the championship, and Terrapin in the final four.

Stone's Smoked Porter w/Vanilla Bean has started showing up in stores again, and is pretty cheap by craft beer standards. I highly recommend picking it up.

If you like that, you'll love the Ballast Point Victory at Sea. My favorite flavored beer.

Also to someone re:Pliny...the Younger/Elder/& Blind Pig are all very good.

Elder is my fave...such a **** to get though, it's kinda lost its appeal.

Anyone try the Stone: Enjoy by 4/20/15?. Hands down my favorite IPA so far. Not a huge IPA fan, but it as super hoppy without any lingering bitterness. Absolutely delicious & refreshing.

Btw...dis i mention Clown Shoes: Blaecorn Unidragon. 2nd favorite brew. Imperial stout, 12.5% abv. Devastatingly delicious!

Edited by nemocystem

Hmmmm.  Not a bad beer. Not a great beer. Above average though. Thinking one of those really hot,summer days where you need something like this for the first one before transitioning to something with a bit more flavor. :)

beer_85596.jpg

I had Stone's chai spiced Russian imperial stout yesterday and it was absolutely fantastic

Oh man I saw that in the store a few weeks ago and nearly pulled the trigger. I'm on a beer-limited diet for another month so I held off. :-/ 

I might make an exception. 

• Like 1

I had Stone's chai spiced Russian imperial stout yesterday and it was absolutely fantastic

I felt like the spices were a little overwhelming after you had a few drinks of it. Im thinking about getting another bottle and letting it sit for a year and see if that mellows it out a bit.

• Like 1

Yall are going hard lately. I got my annual Flying Dog mixed 12 pack that consists of their Pale Ale, Snake Dog IPA, Raging ***** Belgian IPA and the Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout.

Ranking goes:

Raging ***** - Barely beats out the Oyster Stout. It's just a kickass beer if you like Belgian Wits and IPAs.

Oyster Stout - Summertime stout, imagine that. Rappahannock oysters, and oyster flavor is strong. Love it.

Pale Ale - Good stuff

Snake Dog - We've discussed Snake Dog alot in this thread, and how it's somewhat underwhelming. Yeah, same thing. Not bad, but meh.

Would like to try Heady Topper

I am not proud of the $12 a can I paid for the 2 Heady Toppers I got today ... but I don't regret it ... it's amazing ... I'm willing to overlook the 400% markup ... but if you aren't in or around Burlington you're usually not gonna get a chance to try it ... so I took the jump! 

At the Orioles game the other day, this is on the menu as "Belgian Style IPA" instead of using the word ****. Thought that was funny.

On more than one occassion last year, I drank far too many of them at an O's game. Each time I ended up around the toilet later in the night. Each time got a lecture from the wife. It's a tastey beer. I can't help if it makes me want more.