Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I'm gonna say Dead Rise. Even though I didn't think it lived up to the hype, it was still a good beer and was pretty much the beer of the summer, at least in the DMV area.

Early on, i didn't realize there was any hype with regards to Dead Rise. I was at OPACY, and was buying some Crab Dip Waffle fries, I looked at the cooler behind the checkout and saw it. I asked what it was, they told me, and I bought...and kept on buying it as the summer progressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Stay away from the beer flavored with crocodile bile however, it's killer.

Yeah, looks like the death toll is rising:

MAPUTO, Mozambique (AP) — Three more people have died from drinking contaminated beer, bringing the number of fatalities to 72, as the number hospitalized fell by more than 150, health authorities in Mozambique said on Tuesday.

http://www.foodmanufacturing.com/news/2015/01/mozambique-links-72-contaminated-beer-deaths-crocodile-bile?et_cid=4361516&et_rid=556170706&type=headline

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure I'm late to the party on this, but I'm loving the michelada.

For any other tardy posters, there are many kinds, but basically it's any lager or pilsner style beer, with a dash of Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, hot sauce and a whole lime, freshly squeezed, in a salt rimmed glass.

Really delicious and refreshing. Reminds me of the dead rise flying dog. Which means I'll have to try some Old Bay in it.

About that time of year when Bell's Hopslam comes out and people go crazy trying to find some.

Good friend of mine from Michigan is completely obsessed, and basically stalks every decent beer store in a 20 mile radius and buys as much as he can.  Although most stores around here do a 1 6-pack limit (or less), and sell out in a few hours, so he's typically lucky if he can get his hands on 18 bottles. 

my humble opinion only, it is an absolutely delicious beer.  But I'm just not going to go to that much effort.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/01/hopslammed-the-double-ipa-that-causes-a-nationwide.html

Every January, Bell’s, one of Michigan’s most respected and beloved breweries, releases a seasonal double IPA called Hopslam. It’s a really good beer—perfect, some would say. A review of the beer isn’t our purpose here (it’s a hugely hoppy, yet drinkable concoction due to an addition of honey and a generous malt profile that allows the hop flavor to shine through without an overwhelming bitterness). Our purpose is more sociological, or maybe just a little case study on the idea of hype versus substance.

There are a number of beers that come out annually on “release days” with immediate sellouts such as Hunaphu’s Imperial Stout by Florida’s Cigar City and Dark Lord Imperial Stout from by Indiana’s Three Floyds, which has it’s own day, complete with fans camping out in line. California’s The Bruery has a subscription model called the Preservation Society that sells out limited production beers in advance. What makes Hopslam unique is release-day type frenzy that is spread out across the country, as Bell’s makes a lot of Hopslam compared to the extremely limited nature of other “release day” beers.

Sierra Nevada's Hoppy Lager, their entry into the "India Pale Lager" market, is pretty solid. I do like the idea of the IPL. Finishes much smoother than an IPA and you still get the nice hop flavor. 

Had a six pack of this, along with the old reliable Bell's Two Hearted Ale, for the Super Bowl.  Very enjoyable beer.  Not unexpected since Sierra Nevada has mastered the art of hops.  

It's part of their "Beer Camp" series.

Sierra-Nevada-Beer-Camp-Hoppy-Lager-labe

• Like 1

The last batch of beer I made I decided to make a stout.

And add hops. Not as much as an IPA, but enough that I thought it would be hoppy.

I thought I was onto an idea, combining two styles, and was clever.

I've now found out why no one else sells beer like this.

It's OK. I'll drink it. When I bring a gallon somewhere it goes quickly. But it's not under any circumstance "good."

• Like 1

The last batch of beer I made I decided to make a stout.

And add hops. Not as much as an IPA, but enough that I thought it would be hoppy.

I thought I was onto an idea, combining two styles, and was clever.

I've now found out why no one else sells beer like this.

It's OK. I'll drink it. When I bring a gallon somewhere it goes quickly. But it's not under any circumstance "good."

picked up some Cutthroat porter that was hoppy....weird aftertaste for one that tasted like a weak stout.

it gets some decent reviews ,but not to my liking

picked up some Cutthroat porter that was hoppy....weird aftertaste for one that tasted like a weak stout.

it gets some decent reviews ,but not to my liking

Yep. That is spot on I tried that too. It wasn't terrible, just wasn't good.

Since folks brought up Sierra Nevada...I can't wait to get some of the Bigfoot again.

It's a drag that they started to sell it in 4-packs though. Something like 10 bucks for four. Means they charge 10 bucks per if you find it out and about at a restaurant or bar.

• Like 1

Since we're talking Sierra Nevada, I see they have a 12 pack IPA sampler out that includes Ruthless Rye. I'm trying to find out if they'll have Ruthless Rye in it's own pack this year like previous years... it's one of my favorites and I'll be pissed if I have to buy the sampler pack just to get 3 of them. 

• Like 1

I talked about my recent vodka and beer revelation in the Random Thought Thread, and how Sam Adams Winter Lager has been amazing when switching off between it and a rocks glass full of vodka. It cuts through the vodka flavor so well, but doesn't drown it out. This makes me so happy, DAMN.

Gotta find a replacement for the Winter Lager when it leaves shelves next month. The obvious choice is the Boston Lager, because they taste a lot alike. The Brooklyn Lager is another Amber Lager that would work. Thinking Heineken Dark Lager too, which is severely underrated. I'm a sucker for German malts. Even St. Paulie's Girl hits the spot. But Amber Lagers are what I like the most w/vodka so far.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll