Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Went to Oxbow Brewery while I was in Maine for Christmas. Small brewery with some very good beers. My favorite was the Saison Noel

(Nose: Dark fruit, Date, Fig, Dark Cherry, suggestions of potporri, dried flower, clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, cedar, lemonpeel, pepper, pine, rose hip, lemon balm, maybe a whisp of pipe tobacco, licorice

Taste: Medley of drk fruit, complex spice and earthy grain, warming alcohol with suggestions of tobacco and scotch)

which I had tried at a bar in Maine last year. My brother and I each bought a bottle of Oxtoberfest to take home with us- $20 a bottle! We opened his up and the family tasted it and we were disappointed- realized it was a sour ale and it was aged in a riesling cask . Many of my family members agreed that it tasted like band-aids, while others tasted citrus. Accidentally left my bottle up there (at my grandma's), so maybe it will taste different after a little bit of aging.

Beers at the brewery were all good, though, so we will definitely be returning on our future trips to Maine. A new tradition is born!

New Years beer was my 2 year old Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head collaboration the Life & Limb. American Strong Ale brewed with maple & birch syrup.

Color is extremely dark. Black with a slight brown outline against a light.

Aroma is pretty much all maple and birch syrup. A very sugary, candy-like aroma. Almost wanna pour this over some pancakes.

Flavor takes me completely off-guard. Wholesome earthy/citrus hops come over the top, while a deep, charred, roasted, charcoaly malt fills the back end. Dark chocolate and the syrups are also humungous. This beer is an imperial ipa/imperial stout hybrid, holy mackerel.

The aging process most likely did the malt some good in this beer. I was going for the syrup flavors improving, but got more than I bargained for. That said, the finish on this beer is a little on the "plastic" side. The hops are absolutely delicious, but it does seem like they were meant to be a little fresher :ols:. Such a soft body on this beer, like the classiest pillow. This is what I call a unique beer.

tumblr_lx57o9VZ3y1qd0jy3.jpg

Happy New Year beer heads!

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Ok. I need you guys' help.

Where can I order Tennents at online. The one place I've found so far is in Austrila. :doh:

I got turned onto Tennents last week at The Pub down in Orlando. It's now neck n neck with Fat Tire as my favorite beer right now. Runner up is the Creeper IPA brewed here from Fat Daddy Brewing & served at a place here called Growlers. Don't think they have distribution though.

Ok. I need you guys' help.

Where can I order Tennents at online. The one place I've found so far is in Austrila. :doh:

I got turned onto Tennents last week at The Pub down in Orlando. It's now neck n neck with Fat Tire as my favorite beer right now. Runner up is the Creeper IPA brewed here from Fat Daddy Brewing & served at a place here called Growlers. Don't think they have distribution though.

I will ask my beer store guy, he has been able to find and deliver almost every American micro I have asked for, not sure what he can do with imports.

I bought a 6 pack of this today. I like their sense of humor!:ols:

I love the description Lagunitas gives:

This sad holiday season we didn’t have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga’ Ale. You see we had a couple of really good years (thank you very much) and so heading into this season while we are awaiting the January delivery of a new brewhouse we are jammin’ along brewing 80 barrels of IPA and PILS and such every 3 hours. A couple of months back we realized that since we can only brew a mere 60 barrels of Shugga’ every 5 hours, that we were seriously screwed. For every case of Shugga’ brewed, we’d short 3 cases of our favorite daily beers. It’s a drag. This year, we brewed something that we think is also cool and brews more like our daily brews. The new brewhouse will help insure this kind of failure never happens again. It’s a mess that we can not brew our BrownShugga’ this year and we suck for not doing it. There is nothing cool about screwing this up this badly and we know it. Maybe we can sue our own sorry selves. There is no joy in our hearts this holiday and the best we can hope for is a quick and merciful end. F*@& us. This totally blows. Whatever. We freaking munch moldy donkey butt and we just want it to be all over...

So this substitute beer is a ‘Cereal Medley’ of Barley, Rye, Wheat, and Oats…. Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 7.85% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor.

I had a six pack of Brown Shugga' a couple months ago. :whoknows: Stuff is among the best beers I've ever had.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I love the description Lagunitas gives:

I had a six pack of Brown Shugga' a couple months ago. :whoknows: Stuff is among the best beers I've ever had.

I've got some Brown Shugga in my fridge right now, one of my favorites.

While it's not my favorite style, it's still pretty damn good. My wife likes the Sumpin' Sumpin' they make as it's very citrus/piney. Looking forward to trying the 'Sucks' for football today.

• 2 weeks later...
WOW. You've been talking about that bottle for years now. I feel nostalgic towards it :ols: Your day tomorrow is already made!

LOL!

Tell me about it! I didn't crack it open yet, because me and the boys schedules have been conflicted. I'll open it when we both can sit down, kick back and savor it. Hopefully this week!

I finally had Fat Tire on tap last night and loved it. It was chili-cheese dogs and beer at the Vienna Inn. I had tried fat Tire in the bottle and it was ok, but on tap it great!

Bottles are often times a gamble. I've gotten to the point now where I only look at the draft list at restaurants. :ols:

The only time I'll switch it up is if it's a place with bad beers on tap but decent stuff in bottles.

I finally had Fat Tire on tap last night and loved it. It was chili-cheese dogs and beer at the Vienna Inn. I had tried fat Tire in the bottle and it was ok, but on tap it's great!

The majority of beers are better on tap. With the exception of the beers that are meant to be aged, nothing beats a brewery fresh beer, right out of the keg.

Bottles are often times a gamble. I've gotten to the point now where I only look at the draft list at restaurants. :ols:

The only time I'll switch it up is if it's a place with bad beers on tap but decent stuff in bottles.

Same here.

Wait, is that the cabernet beer? I just tried this a few weeks ago

No. The 2007 was produced when they were puttign it in 12 oz bottles and selling it by the 4-pack. A few years ago, they started to only offer it in 22oz bombers.

A couple of years ago, they started to brew it in a couple of different ways, including aging it in barrels that held either bourbon or caberneat. I love the Bourbon aged Below Decks. I don't care for the the stuff brewed in the cabernet barrels.