Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

So....thought i wasn't a fan of IPAs....just now coming to terms with the reality that i just need super hoppy IPAs. Strange, no?

Just tossed back a Stone: RuinTen. ZOMFG it is sooooo delicious. I also grabbed the collaboration brew.

I regret now that i was once very leary of Stone simply because of its popularity. I felt it may be due to a bunch of trend-jumpers. I'm now of the converted....i really like almost everything they have to offer. between them, & Clown Shoes...i have discovered heaven.

welcome to the dark side :)

some of my favorite, not hard to get IPAs (that youve probably had by now), sierra nevada torpedo, heavy seas loose cannon and the lagunitas maximus. 

hoptical illusion, maui big swell,  and terrapin hopsicutioner are all good too. 

Some answers to questions I am sure people across my company (reyes beverage group) who owns like 20 distributors nationwide were asking about the AB acquisition of Miller/Coors

RBG Employees,

As you may have seen, the beer world received some big news this week regarding the likely acquisition of SABMiller by Anheuser Busch InBev (ABI). We plan to keep you informed as details continue to be divulged. For now, please see the following questions and answers and share with your teams.

What exactly does this mean?
•    ABI and SABMiller reached "agreement in principle" on a deal; however, nothing formal has happened yet. As of right now, this is just a “possible offer” under UK law. The deadline for a “formal offer” is October 28.

If ABI does buy SABMiller, what will be the effect on RBG?
Most likely, very little, if anything at all.
•    First, the deal would attract intense antitrust scrutiny from the US government. There is a good chance that SABMiller would be required to divest its interest in Miller brands in the US similarly to how Modelo sold US brand rights to Constellation when ABI acquired Modelo.
•    Second, if SABMiller were sold, the agreement that created MillerCoors grants rights to Molson Coors that could protect the current ownership structure in the US.

Will we be losing distribution rights to AB distributors in our territories?
•    No. Again, it is very unlikely that the US government will allow the consolidation of ABI and Miller brands.
•    In addition, our supplier agreements and state laws protect our distribution rights in these types of transactions.

Is it possible that we would absorb ABI products into our distribution system?
•    No. This is an acquisition of SABMiller, not a merger. ABI will not lose control of its brands in the US, and will not alter its distribution arrangements.

Will this create job cut-backs in the RBG companies?
•    No. We do not expect any changes in our brand portfolios or our operations.

Will this create new opportunities for growth through either acquisition or taking share from ABI?
•    Our owners are always interested in opportunities to acquire companies when it makes sense. Nothing about the deal changes their interest in growing Reyes Beverage Group. In fact, our SUCCEED AS ONE strategy envisions doubling the size of Reyes Beverage Group over the next 3-5 years.

What should we do now?
•    Don’t let this distract you. There’s going to be even more news and chatter in the press, but nothing needs to change on our end.
•    We all need to keep our focus on “working smarter than our competitors do today and smarter than we did yesterday.” The future is very bright for Reyes Beverage Group as we grow our businesses and our people!

Thank you,
RBG Communications

Any of you guys tried South Street Brewery out of Charlottesville?

Background... I believe the place either went out of business at one point or wasn't doing well. But in 2007 their brewers left and started up Blue Mountain Brewery about 25 or so minutes west of Cville, and it absolutely took off. They sparked a mini beer revolution in rural Nelson County (where I grew up). There were already a bunch of wineries, but since Blue Mountain opened there have been two other breweries started up (Devils Backbone and Wild Wolf), a cidery (Bold Rock), a distillery, and Blue Mountain opened their Barrel House (where they age beers in bourbon barrel).

So fast forward a few years, and the founders of Blue Mountain decide to purchase South Street, where they got their careers started. Current South Street beer is all brewed at the Blue Mountain barrel house, with a mix of old South Street recipes and new ones from Blue Mountain.

A couple of their beers I've had... Not a huge fan of their lager. Just tried their Twisted Gourd, an imperial chocolate chai pumpkin ale. Weird right? I was skeptical but pleasantly surprised. The chai flavor is more prominent as an aftertaste (and smell) than most chai beers I've tried. And their IPA.. Their IPA is hands down my favorite IPA not named Pliny. Not crazy on the hops but definitely enough. Very, very drinkable and hides the 6.8% abv very well. Highly recommend you guys in the DC area grab one when you see it. They're in wegmans and total wine.

Edited by skinsfan_1215

Anyone go to the beer releases at Rams Head or Duclaws?   Has anyone went to Jailbreak in Laurel. one of their beers won an award at the Great American Beer Fest. 

When we lived in MD, we did a few DuCLaw releases.  Pretty good, but pricey.

I used to by Kegs from them which was actually MUCH cheaper than doing growlers, etc.  

Ahh my single days.  LOL

• Like 2

Dock Street Brewery to debut funky, Wu-Tang Clan-infused saison

Dock Street Brewery is all set to debut "Dock Street Beer Ain’t Nothing to Funk With," its Wu-Tang Clan-infused beer whose announcement made headlines this past summer.

Aged for six months in red wine barrels to the sweet sounds of Wu Tang Clan on repeat via special headphones, “Funk” will see a release at Dock Street on Wednesday, Nov. 4 at 5 p.m. It will be available on tap and in 12-ounce bottles, though there is a two-bottle limit per customer. Growler fills, unfortunately, are not allowed.

The launch event will also feature Wu-Tang-inspired beats from DJ Matthew Law, along with a screening of Shaolin and Wu Tang, the 1980s kung fu flick from which Wu-Tang Clan takes its name.

Following its release, Dock Street’s “Funk” will be available only at the West Philadelphia brewpub and online (once that service launches), while supplies last.

Click on the link for the full article

So we had a big yuengling meeting at the warehouse today, we got the very first keg of their new Yuengling IPL (Indian Pale Lager) and had a cold plate/jockey box set up to taste it... its very good actually... IBU is 60 and ABV is 5.1 .. they use 4 hops in it, and one hardly anyone uses supposedly. This one is going to fly off shelves! Its hoppy, but not slam your tongue and pallette with them with a citris splash

IPL_zpstwhez0sl.jpg

Edited by DButz65

So we had a big yuengling meeting at the warehouse today, we got the very first keg of their new Yuengling IPL (Indian Pale Lager) and had a cold plate/jockey box set up to taste it... its very good actually... IBU is 60 and ABV is 5.1 .. they use 4 hops in it, and one hardly anyone uses supposedly. This one is going to fly off shelves! Its hoppy, but not slam your tongue and pallette with them with a citris splash

IPL_zpstwhez0sl.jpg

Sounds tailgate worthy!

Anyone go to the beer releases at Rams Head or Duclaws? Has anyone went to Jailbreak in Laurel. one of their beers won an award at the Great American Beer Fest.

I've gone to a few releases at DuClaw. I don't care for most of their beers, but I really like the Venom & Hellrazer is in my kegerator rotation. They sell kegs, directly, and they're reasonably priced.

Jailbreak is on the list, I just need Fran to drive! I bought a sixer of Big Punisher, and it's very good, but pricey. I like the fact that they can their beer.

• Like 1

Stone Cold Steve Austin and the El Segundo Brewing Company announced today that they are partnering to produce “one bad ass beer”. Here is the press release discussing the beer, Broken Skull IPA…

Steve Austin & El Segundo Brewing Present Broken Skull IPA

(El Segundo CA) – WWE Hall of Famer, Steve Austin, and El Segundo Brewing Company, one of LA’s premier craft breweries, have teamed up to create what Austin describes as “one bad ass beer”. Known around the world for his intense in-ring style, trash talking, and beer swilling antics, Austin has embraced the craft beer world with a hands on approach.

After meeting with ESBC founder, Rob Croxall, it was clear they had a lot in common. Austin, who knows good beer when he tastes it, was already a fan of ESBC’S Citra Pale and Mayberry IPA. Over a table of beer, conversation shifted to a collaborative effort utilizing ESBC’s expertise in brewing and Steve’s vision of the ultimate India Pale Ale. Austin described in detail the characteristics he loved in a great IPA. The resulting recipe, churned out by Rob, created a beer that boasts a big mid palate flavor from ample use of Cascade, Chinook, and Citra hops. The finish is wonderful with hops fading quickly and a polite bitterness that trails off easily. This is the ultimate IPA designed for the working man and woman who love great beer. The work is done. Time to enjoy a cold one.

El Segundo Brewing, located at 140 Main St, El Segundo, will launch BROKEN SKULL IPA on lucky Friday, November 13th. Steve Austin will be behind the bar serving up this tasty brew from 1pm-8pm. Tickets are REQUIRED. tinyurl.com/brokenskull. Come on down, enjoy a Broken Skull IPA, and shake Steve’s hand for a job well done.

• Like 1

Gonna pay them a visit TK...just down the street here from Hawthorne.

Tried,& liked a few beers recently...in love with the extreme hoppy stuff, but i think i've found a new favorite.

Photosphere Phil from Clown Shoes. Anyone else here try it? I love the doubles, & triples, & i'm a sucker for the higher ABV/IBU stuff, but this is a stunning in-between.

Had the New Belgium/Ben & Jerry's Salted Caramel Brownie Brown Ale last night. Pretty solid. A little on the heavy side, but definitely good flavor.

Got back from the Panthers game last night & picked up the last six pack of it 7-11 had. Just now getting into it. At first I was I kinda ehhh on it but halfway through the first one its not to bad.

B3EC2AC2-A2D5-4D74-909B-C95CD8942CEA_zps

Got back from the Panthers game last night & picked up the last six pack of it 7-11 had. Just now getting into it. At first I was I kinda ehhh on it but halfway through the first one its not to bad.

It's not a beer I could sit around and drink a sixer of. It's a nice beer to have on a cold night.

I posted this a few years ago and will do so again.  Holidaywinecellar.com is doing their Cyber Monday deal again this year where they offer free shipping (and most likely no tax) on beer orders of $50 or more.  Great opportunity to experiment with beer you can't get in your area.

No more Russian River beers available like in years past...but they carry Knee Deep.  If you love Double and Triple IPAs, beers from Knee Deep are fantastic.  (Hoparillo is the smoothest Triple IPA you will every try)  You can also re-use the box it gets delivered in for future beer trading too.  Happy holidays!