Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: How do you pronounce "Apricot?"

#98QBKiller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The latter. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard it pronounced the other way.

Pancakes are good.

I've always pronounced it "ape" ri-cot. I had never heard the other way until a friend of mine from Syracuse said it not too long ago. Then I just heard it on tv so I figured I'd ask.

Pancakes are always good, I left the poll open to multiple choices for that reason. :)

And I effed up and voted for the wrong one in the poll lol.

I've always pronounced it "ape" ri-cot. I had never heard the other way until a friend of mine from Syracuse said it not too long ago. Then I just heard it on tv so I figured I'd ask.

Pancakes are always good, I left the poll open to multiple choices for that reason. :)

And I effed up and voted for the wrong one in the poll lol.

Maybe it's a regional thing or something.

m-w.com has both pronunciations.

It's like Caribbean. I usually say CaRIBbean, but in cases such as "Pirates of the Caribbean" I say CaribBEan.

I do that too. I think I change it up with a lot of things... Like with wash... When I just say wash I pronounce it "worsh". When I say Washington it's "Wah-shington"

you big freak.

My WV professor says may-zure, def a West Va thing

I say may, never heard it said meh. We're not too far from WV though, but I definitely don't like being clumped in with doing "West Virginia things" haha.

Reminds me of a funny story (well it was to me anyway)

I was in grad school and was taking a class on language disabilities. Our professor was a pretty noted guy with a very strong national rep. During one class, he made a very strong case that there is only one correct pronounciation of every word. The dictionary phonetics is the only way to go. Standard phonetics was it. No wiggle room for local dialect, not foreign accents. Nothing. I argued with him a little, but he was quite adamanent. No allowances. Later, in that same class he was talking about a certain genre of something... except he pronounced it "Gon-ra" It was really hard not to burst out laughing, but he not only was my prof. he was my thesis advisor and I held my tongue.

That being said... Ape-ricot? Ape-ricot! There's no such thing as monkey fruit. Monkey's don't even eat fruit!!!

I grew up with app-ricot.

Archived