Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Who did you vote for in 2004, and then 2008?

SkinsNumberOne

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I am wary of the people who are going to make claims that McCain/Palin would have been better than Obama/Biden.

There is nothing to suggest that it would be the case, no matter what happens with Obama/Biden. I was already having this thought, and I saw a sig or two on this site that suggested it was going to be a definite reality (I mean, this is only Nov 6 right now).

So I thought, if you voted for Bush in 2004, and his approval ratings are as low as they are, and most people do currently agree that he was a bad President in many ways... then do you even have a leg to stand on with your 2008 vote going for McCain/Palin? My answer is no, because chances are, you'd use the same argument that I'm saying is valid. You can't say that the other option would have been better.

So who did vote for Kerry/Edwards, and then voted McCain/Palin? Someone who did that, I suppose, has the best leg to stand on for criticism in the future. I'm curious if anyone on this board can say that though. I think people who voted for Kerry/Edwards were upset at Bush from 2000-2004 (I don't think Kerry was a great candidate in many ways), and I don't think 2004-2008 did anything to endear him further. McCain is NOT the same as Bush, but I think the people who were most upset at Bush to vote for Kerry, ended up voting for Obama in large part because of Palin. I know Palin is a big part of what finalized my personal decision.

You have no options for me; I voted Libertarian both times.

Apologies. But thanks for sharing, as that is also a point of interest to me (the reason the poll was included rather than asking the question of interest alone).

The main thrust of the poll was to determine how many people fall into the fourth option. Those people, in both elections, picked the ultimate loser of the election. If we get what we judge as a bad 4 years from Obama, only they will be truly be justified in shaking their heads at us (although not really, since there isn't anyway to know if their choice was better/worse).

Still, they, unlike those who chose Bush/Cheney in 2004, and then McCain/Palin in 2008, actually do have some kind of leg to stand on. Although I'd be curious to know what led them to their choices.

So who did vote for Kerry/Edwards, and then voted McCain/Palin? Someone who did that, I suppose, has the best leg to stand on for criticism in the future. I'm curious if anyone on this board can say that though. I think people who voted for Kerry/Edwards were upset at Bush from 2000-2004 (I don't think Kerry was a great candidate in many ways), and I don't think 2004-2008 did anything to endear him further. McCain is NOT the same as Bush, but I think the people who were most upset at Bush to vote for Kerry, ended up voting for Obama in large part because of Palin. I know Palin is a big part of what finalized my personal decision.

Wow, it seems that I'm in the minority.

I voted for Kerry/Edwards in 04 and voted for McCain/Palin in 08. This was for many reasons. My vote for Kerry/Edwards was at a time when I was still a political pup, still learning about myself and my beliefs. I voted for Kerry more-so because I disliked Bush. Now that I look back on it I lament even voting for Kerry because he was such a lame-duck candidate. However, I wouldn't have liked voting for Bush either.

I am at this time proud of voting for McCain. I truly know more about myself now than I did in 04. In this day and age I see the candidates are far too Hollywoodesque. Everything is promoted so heavily; attire, what the candidate is trying to sell you, what the media is trying to sell you, and so on. Although impossible I try to not pay as much attention to the media, the commercials, and the innumerable amount of promises the candidates promise. Instead I look at where the candidates stand on the issues and where I stand and vote soley on that. This is why I found McCain to be my best choice this year.

GOP all the way, across the board.....when the Dems truly move back to the center is when I will at least consider voting for them. JFK and Harry Truman would be Repubs in today's political climate.

Thank God someone else in the world has pointed this out. You are absolutely correct. Been saying the same thing since I was 19.

Wow, it seems that I'm in the minority. <truncated>

I can totally appreciate your line of thinking here. I was pretty conflicted when voting for Obama. There were a lot of things that moved me to Obama in the end, including the Buffet endorsement (I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least raise an eyebrow at it) and McCain's very unclear plans on the economy were kind of closing points.

Obama's many promises scare me; it sounds like someone trying to get the Presidency who will be unable to deliver. Many have trusted him. I cast my lot not out of blind trust, but a wary hope and a sad statement about the campaign McCain ran in 2008. If he had run as I felt he was capable of running, then I may have voted for him (some of his economic stances didn't make a lot of sense to me, and while I'm not 100% pleased with Obama's either, they tend to be better than McCain's in my reading of them). The Palin pick, in particular, didn't have any strong discernible background for it behind partisanship (shoring up the Republican constituency, which seemed both a poor strategic move to me and a poor practical move). I am not a fan of Biden but at least it has some strategy and practical (foreign policy experience) benefits.

Bush/Cheney 2000

Bush/Cheney 2004 (though I knew it was a mistake when I did it)

Well, ya'll know who I voted for this year.

2004 was a transitional year for me as my philosophies changed quite a bit after I was forced to ask some serious questions that I simply could not answer with my previous framework.

Archived