Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sally Jenkins: Casual Display Wears Thin On Zorn (M.E.T)

Troy Fakeman

We interrupt your current program for this important announcement.

Knowing the popularity of Sally's articles here on ES,(;) ), and the reactions they draw,it is suggested that before responding, some of you look at this thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=265631

This way, you'll have an idea of what's permissible as a response and what isn't. If there is any doubt, don't post it. Let's try to keep things above ground here and a lot less personal. Thanks.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

you have to figure, with the washington post assigning so many beat reporters to cover the Redskins, they each have a specific role to fill. Wise/Boswell have similar roles of looking at team themes, bigger pictures, more insightful articles. Reid/LaCanfora are traditional reporters, talking about the game. So you take someone like Sally Jenkins, what role is she going to fill? She tends to look at potential team busting incidents, true, but this is the 2nd article she's written in 3 weeks that i still deem positive about the redskins. she's high on us b/c how can you not be? So i have no complaints about her at this time.

Well, I actually thought this one (like her other recent piece) was well-written. It had some great quotes and there was nothing I found out of line at all.

And I thought the following was a very pertinent commentary followed by an important statement from Zorn giving us another look at his perceptions of this team:

The Redskins' penchant for misfiring is obviously beginning to eat at Zorn, the tiny miscues, penalties (eight for 67 yards against the Lions) and missed assignments that are holding them back. The Redskins are piling up yards -- 439 in total offense against the Lions -- and not getting near enough points out of them, and their 25-17 victory over the Lions was closer than it should have been. If a team with a 6-2 record can be called an underachiever, then that's what the Redskins are as far as Zorn is concerned.

"It's the underachieving in concentration, in situations of being careless," Zorn said. "If you have a letdown, the other team cannot only make it close, they can beat you. This game was close. Those are the little things that make a difference between a good team and one that's just fighting to keep its head above water."

I think she's reading a bit too much into that argument on the sideline. I do think that Zorn is getting frustrated with the lack of focus that this team has had for the past three weeks, but doing the Zorn vs Portis thing was a little much. It is just an example of his frustration and he took it out on Portis.

Jason

I have no idea what you all are complaining about - that was a very well written piece. Perhaps a bit sensational on the whole idea of the team "blowing up", but what do you expect from newspapers?

I thought it was a good read, and I'm usually the first to jump on nuances reporters like to throw into their stories.

Good piece by Jenkins. Zorns outburst is one more reason to like the guy in my book. He doesn't coddle his star players unlike some other "head coach" of a division rival, and isn't afraid to point out his teams short comings.

When the Cowboys struggled to beat the Bengals all you heard out of Cowboy land was "we beat them no" and Romo sits to pee lamenting how great QBs are beyond reproach for mistakes they make on the field.

Zorn, not unlike Gibbs during his first stint, realizes that success can bread bad habbits and that sometimes wins are the perfect opportunity to give a team a wakeup call.

Washington is still far from being a legit Super Bowl contender, but they've put themselves in a tremendous position to be successful and Zorn won't let anybody jeopardize it.

I guess I completely over reacted and read too dar into what was going on myself. I thought CP was mad about NOT being in the game. The press on TV jumped all over it and I got suckered right into it too. He had a helmet issue? Zorn was the one mad that CP wasn't in the game? Well, that makes all the difference in the world. I guess it's not that big a deal then. Just a communcation problem that I'm sure was fixed with the arse chewing.

OK, I can return to warm and fuzzy feeling now. 6 and 2!:point2sky

If you have never actually been in a game it is hard to understand the intensity that it generates and things get said without thinking, it is not a big deal. The media will look at this and make it into something it isn't.

This is a 2 paragraph story because I was actually interested in what actually happened.

But then like a woman she write 7 more paragraphs rambling in gossip..

Much the same way that you might not understand how far this shoves a foot down your own throat, and someone outside looking in might think "Dude, you're not gettin any for a lonnnggg time"

:doh::doh::doh:

I know, right? LMAO

Archived