Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Separation of Church and State-How do you Feel?

Jrew1223

Have at it guys...

What do you believe about the Separation of Church and State... Im interested in reading your opinions of that area of the Constitution and also to the extent to where you feel its okay to draw the line and let your own personal religious views dictate policy for everyone (even those whom do not share your personal religion)...

The separation was originally intended to keep the nation from creating another Anglican church, as such the government stays out of churches, but this does not prevent the faithful from influencing government. As for its current interpretation and application, well that IMO seems a bit over blown in that Federal money to a relief organization like the Red Cross would not bee seen as the "government establishing a non-profit organization" but there are so many who are afraid that any involvement between the two constitutes the establishment of religion. As such the separation is much like a heart valve in that it is mostly a one way valve that does not flow back and forth.

Plus, yeah, its not in the Constitution, and those who see it there are looking at external sources and reading those influences onto the text of the Constitution.

As for me:

Against a government run church

Against the government telling me what I can and cannot believe in my church

For the ability of the church to actively utilize the Freedom of speech to influence, direct and correct policy.

Well there is no such thing as seperation of church and state in the constitution. It is a man-made phrase that has no bearing in law. In other words, there is no law based in the constitution that says there is seperation of church and state.

IMO, as long as there isn't a state run church like England did, than I don't think you can seperate them. regardless of what people may feel about the founding fathers, or what they believed, they held a belief in God and those beliefs governed cerntian choices that were made in the formation of this nation.

I think instead of teaching silly things like, math, grammar, science, social studes, ect. School should just be a 7 hour Sunday school session.

We shouldn't be curious about why things happen, there is a simple answer, cause god wants it to happen, duh!

Since there are so many different religions but so little time, we'll just have to go with the majority on this one, what would that be?

Oh yeah, Christian!

So before class begins, you know when we teach that god created the earth in 6 days, we all come from Adam and Eve, and there was this really big flood but Noah was smart enough to round up 2 of every animal on earth and fit them on an ark, we are going to pray, don't worry if we aren't praying to the god you worship, you are in the minority, and you could always just convert, come on you know you want to, all the cool kids are Christian.

I believe with this plan American will grow intellectually and help us move into the future as a leader in medicine and innovation around the world.

Lets face it, if kids just knew how to pray better they would do better on the SATs and get into better colleges.

I think instead of teaching silly things like, math, grammar, science, social studes, ect. School should just be a 7 hour Sunday school session.

We shouldn't be curious about why things happen, there is a simple answer, cause god wants it to happen, duh!

Since there are so many different religions but so little time, we'll just have to go with the majority on this one, what would that be?

Oh yeah, Christian!

So before class begins, you know when we teach that god created the earth in 6 days, we all come from Adam and Eve, and there was this really big flood but Noah was smart enough to round up 2 of every animal on earth and fit them on an ark, we are going to pray, don't worry if we aren't praying to the god you worship, you are in the minority, and you could always just convert, come on you know you want to, all the cool kids are Christian.

I believe with this plan American will grow intellectually and help us move into the future as a leader in medicine and innovation around the world.

Lets face it, if kids just knew how to pray better they would do better on the SATs and get into better colleges.

you may have shot down one person's theory, i'm sure there's one out there. but he's not here, and never has been. so i don't know who the hell you're talking to or about.

you may have shot down one person's theory, i'm sure there's one out there. but he's not here, and never has been. so i don't know who the hell you're talking to or about.

of course it was an exageration, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think there is a group out there that wouldn't be for many of the things I mentioned in my satirical post.

Some people actually believe Noah's Ark is real, they think it is a historical event.

Some people think their should be prayer in school.

of course it was an exageration, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think there is a group out there that wouldn't be for many of the things I mentioned in my satirical post.

Some people actually believe Noah's Ark is real, they think it is a historical event.

Some people think their should be prayer in school.

hey, you joined the thread topic with that last line!

hey, you joined the thread topic with that last line!

what is taught in school is certainly under the topic of seperation of chuch and state.

Unless you have forgotten the whole debate over creationism and evolution.

everything I mentioned in my initial post falls under the discussion of seperation of chuch and state.

Atheist here:

I prefer we go with the common sense part of the Constitution.

Make no laws for, nor against.

Lets not spend 20 billion removing it from the money nor the roof of the Supreme Court.

Lets not spend 20 billion adding it every park.

The White House Tree is fine..

Just stop the militants on both sides and let the rest of us enjoy the day.

I believe that the government should not prefer or be seen to endorse any particular sect or religion. I for one am Glad that public prayer is not forced on my child, but I also think those same individuals in the school should be allowed to pray if they feel moved of their own volition. Lately there has been too much attacking people's ability to free exercise and I think that is just wrong.

What was it Thomas Jefferson said?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty

than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Oh yeah, Christian!

^^^^^^ nope, make that 2

and the first real salvo has been fired. take cover.

Oh yeah, Christian!

By the way, I forgot to ask: WTF are you talking about?

You were forced to learn about creation and Noah's ark and were forced to convert to Christianity in school?

Oh yeah, Christian!

your sarcasm fails, you're tone is anoying, and you are being very naive.

that cluster**** of smarty stuff is just meant to incite, way to be an idiot

what is taught in school is certainly under the topic of seperation of chuch and state.

Unless you have forgotten the whole debate over creationism and evolution.

everything I mentioned in my initial post falls under the discussion of seperation of chuch and state.

except that it doesn't because that doesn't happen anywhere in the country and hardly anybody would advocate such nonsense. bring something to the table instead of trying to rile people up

Archived